UFC 102 in Portland, OR

Hand to Hand, Combative Skills, etc...
dbmtrman
Ranger

Re: UFC 102 in Portland, OR

Post by dbmtrman »

Couture is going to get crushed. He was good in his day, but way over the hill. He just doesn't know when to call it a day.
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

Couture will have to be knocked out. He definately has a huge heart and drive, but from the last couple fights I have seen him in, he doesn't seem to have it like he used to. The hometown advantage may give him a little pump at the beginning, but when the fist start flying, not sure it matters.

I want to see that fight between Lesnar and Mir.

Did you see the fight with Courture's wife? She got her ass kicked too, but never quit.
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Couture, Nog, Wand, Chuck and Matt Hughes need to step aside and make way for the already dominating generation. They also need to save themselves from becoming permanent mouthbreathers. Nog is well on his way to becoming MMA's exhibit A on "too much trauma will create" and Wand is about done after fighting like a maniac for two decades.

I have a ton of respect for those five guys, but you have to know when to let it go. Their time has come and passed.

The "newer" generation of Silva, GSP, BJP and Fedor has about another three years and then they too will be replaced by what I suppose will be the greatest generation of true-MMA fighters. Kids who grew up specifically training for MMA, not starting with one thing and then building on the others. The little shit who was watching UFC with Daddy in 2000 and by 2012 will be old enough to fight. Those are the guys who will be truly scary.

Considering that and the enormous international popularity of the sport and Champions will come from all over. Brazil has already long lost it's monopoly on Champions and the new Generation will be even more diverse than our current ones.
JohnDowland
Ranger

Post by JohnDowland »

...ought to be better than the gay pride and drag parade that they held in Portland this past week.
3/75 '93-'95
Operation Uphold Democracy '94
OIF '10
OEF '10/'11
USASOC Chaplain

"Let not him who girds on his armor boast as he who takes it off!" - Ahab, king of Israel
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Nomad wrote:Considering that and the enormous international popularity of the sport and Champions will come from all over. Brazil has already long lost it's monopoly on Champions and the new Generation will be even more diverse than our current ones.
Great observation, although the Brazilian Arts dominated the early days of MMA, the style does not garner the attention of the current audience base.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

JLTW!!! wrote:I'll call it loyalty to the Army since he served waaaay back in the day.

huh?
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Praetorian
Future Soldier

Post by Praetorian »

Couture -vs.- Nogueira

That is going to be a war, Nogueira has almost lost his main strength based on his last performance...being a zombie. He used to be known for taking punishment and catching his opponent when he over extends, etc. Then you have Randy who is well past his prime but a living testament to human will power.

Personally I can't wait to see Nate Marquardt's fight, he is the future champion of that division.

Return to “Close Combat”