Which Martial Art?

Hand to Hand, Combative Skills, etc...
dbmtrman
Ranger

Re: Which Martial Art?

Post by dbmtrman »

I have had an opportunity to do a little Krav Maga and Russian Systema training, both have some very practical and effective points. In my opinion there isn't one single effective martial art, that will cover every situation or be effective against allcomers. Physical conditioning and a kill or be killed mindset go a long way to winning any face to face fight.
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

And if none of that works, try laying a little Tai Chi on their ass
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Let's not forget the MIND as a weapon! I had the misfortune to bump into a big bastard (well over 6' and over 200lbs) in an alley after turning a corner too fast. He grabs the lapels on the USMC great coat (very thick wool overcoat) and picks me off my feet and slams my back against a brick wall and announces "I'm going to kick your ass".

With my feet dangling off the ground I meekly requested "can I take this coat off first"? He just looked at me and let go of my lapels. So I hit him with a right with everything I had in my soul! He stumbled back to I kept punching him in the face, I stayed on him on the way to the ground then I got on his chest and kept punching till blood was squirting up in the air.

Then I got up and E&E'd back to my house and had a few beers to calm down. I broke my right hand on his face, but I never went to the emergency room because I figured "guy in exam room A with broken face and guy in exam room B with broken hand", even a PG County Cop could solve that equation!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Go_Placidly
Embryo

Post by Go_Placidly »

Lmao, Ranger panthersix, I almost just choked on my dinner!

And (upon scrolling down) it seems you also wrote the other post that caught my eye: 'running out of gas.'

I've been taking boxing at a gym nearby for a little over 3 months, and last week I had the chance to spar one of the pro-fighters that is going to participate in a few real fights this month. The last thing I expected was forgetting how to breathe, but that was definitely the first thing that happened, about a minute in. (read: wrong air-fuel ratio for my body engine)
Also, a new instructor just came in about a month ago and started a BJJ/Grappling/CSW class that my fellow boxer hooked me into last week. I've been taking that now, too, so I can see why all the Rangers (and other forum members) alike speak highly of it.
“I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''”
M.Ali

Still round the corner, there may wait,
A secret road, or a hidden gate,
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day shall come at last when I,
Will take the hidden paths that run,
West of the moon, East of the sun!
JRR T
Bruins7
US Army

Post by Bruins7 »

Rangers, would martial arts such as Kuntao or Krav Maga be available to me where ever I happened to be stationed?
Bleed with me, and you shall forever be my brother.
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

3 years and 9 days, THREE YEARS AND NINE DAYS!
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Baseplate wrote:3 years and 9 days, THREE YEARS AND NINE DAYS!
Still not a record :lol:
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Bruins7 wrote:Rangers, would martial arts such as Kuntao or Krav Maga be available to me where ever I happened to be stationed?
Personly, I've found a mixture of Krav-1911 and Ka-shotgun to be the most effective MMAs and can be practiced anywhere.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Bruins7
US Army

Post by Bruins7 »

Slowpoke wrote:
Bruins7 wrote:Rangers, would martial arts such as Kuntao or Krav Maga be available to me where ever I happened to be stationed?
Personly, I've found a mixture of Krav-1911 and Ka-shotgun to be the most effective MMAs and can be practiced anywhere.

Thank you very much Ranger Slowpoke
Bleed with me, and you shall forever be my brother.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

While possibly amusing, my post was true. With the concealed carry laws we have, there is no reason to go about todays society unarmed.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Usssocom303
BANNED

Post by Usssocom303 »

For stealth and espionage- Ninjutsu sneak training
For self defense- Krav Maga by 10000 miles
For kicks- Aikido or Okinawan Karate
For grappling- Judo with no 2nd place
Hmmm, sounds like a big helo in the back ground heading this way. Almost looks black in color, like a Chinook.
It's getting clo......
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Usssocom303 wrote:For stealth and espionage- Ninjutsu sneak training
For self defense- Krav Maga by 10000 miles
For kicks- Aikido or Okinawan Karate
For grappling- Judo with no 2nd place
See my earlier posts. All of this sounds pretty cool until you run up against some skinny little weasel looking fucker with a big 1911. At that time, unless you have a Red S on your chest, you're pretty much fucked. Remember, in real life, no one fights fair, no one plays by the rules, and most of all.....assume everyone has a concealed firearm.

NEVER GO TO A GUN FIGHT UNARMED

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Usssocom303
BANNED

Post by Usssocom303 »

I think the Ninjutsu side step sneak is a great way to silently cut the neck arteries of a guard. But what are the other three missing?
Hmmm, sounds like a big helo in the back ground heading this way. Almost looks black in color, like a Chinook.
It's getting clo......
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Usssocom303 wrote:I think the Ninjutsu side step sneak is a great way to silently cut the neck arteries of a guard. But what are the other three missing?
Gentlemen, THIS is what your brain looks like on drugs.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.

Return to “Close Combat”