Lloyd Irvin's Martial Arts Academy

Hand to Hand, Combative Skills, etc...
deathtaco
Tadpole

Lloyd Irvin's Martial Arts Academy

Post by deathtaco »

Hello Rangers,

I've recently been very interested in picking up BJJ as a sport for multiple reasons. I was looking around for some places to train in the area where I go to school, but all look pretty shady, and of course, "Every instructor is a black belt, etc."

Sounds like Bullshido and the reviews were poor.

*I searched around on the board for this, and Google as well, but it always loops around to the school's site.*

Well, I came across this: Lloyd Irvin's Martial Arts Academy

It seems legit, and looks like the instructors actually are their level of belt, not just blowing themselves out of proportion. I was wondering if any Rangers in here have ever trained at this academy or have heard of anyone who has?

Or, if any Rangers have trained at any places in MD (close to the College Park area) it would be much appreciated if you could tell me what they are. (and their prices!)

V/R Thank You.
"To lead, you must first learn to follow."
Baseplate
Ranger

Re: Lloyd Irvin's Martial Arts Academy

Post by Baseplate »

I study Rex Kwan Do

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
deathtaco
Tadpole

Post by deathtaco »

Ranger Baseplate,

I study Bowstaff in my spare time as well.
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Back in '78 I learned how to fight in College Park at the Varsity Grill on bloody route 1. Ah good times, no one pressed charges and I was in staggering distance of the Frat! Beat on some of them pussies too, just for grins and giggles :D
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
deathtaco
Tadpole

Post by deathtaco »

Ranger panthersix,

Haha, I live about 200yds away from the Varsity Grill. Maybe I'll check it out sometime...get some free training in.
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Seriously though, I'd check out the rec clubs at UMD and see if you can't find something that works for you. Lloyd Irvin's looks good but I'll bet it gets expensive.

Best of luck to you and don't ever, ever piss off a PG County cop!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
deathtaco
Tadpole

Post by deathtaco »

Just my luck. I met some guys at the gym last night who head the BJJ club at school. Going to be doing that when the semester starts up.

Ranger Panthersix,

I did a rolling stop at a stop sign on campus...the cop treated me like I just killed an old woman.
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

A PG County cop threatened to confiscate my new 4x4 pickup (got it for myself for getting my master's degree) because the license plate was out of date. I had a letter from the DMV with a phone number to call if stopped by police to indicate that it was a DMV problem. Guy got pissed and said he could still take it if he wanted to.....I was very respectful the whole time too! But he let me go after I acknowledged his power. LOL

Glad you found a club! I played Rugby at Maryland and that's why I didn't got USAF ROTC after my tour in the Rangers....I'm such a dumbass!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
deathtaco
Tadpole

Post by deathtaco »

Thank you Ranger Panthersix,

I had to cow-tow and kiss his feet for him to give me a warning! :lol:
As far as not doing AFROTC, that's a smart decision. Especially after doing a tour with Rangers I don't know if you could've stood it, girl in the program had a PT score of 9PU, 8SU and a 20 some run!!

Looking forward to the club though, grappling is fun.
Praetorian
Future Soldier

Post by Praetorian »

Deathtaco,

If you are interested in Martial Arts and are researching Lloyd Irvings camps please feel free to message me with any information you would like. I currently train out of Lloyd Irvings: The Lab in Fredericksburg, Virginia.

Lloyd Irving is one of the best in the buisness and any of his camps will have great instructors and some of the best competitors in the sport. But as stated above it will cost you $ as it is a buisness, but how important is self defense or the sport of MMA is up to you.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

panthersix wrote:A PG County cop threatened to confiscate my new 4x4 pickup (got it for myself for getting my master's degree) because the license plate was out of date. I had a letter from the DMV with a phone number to call if stopped by police to indicate that it was a DMV problem. Guy got pissed and said he could still take it if he wanted to.....I was very respectful the whole time too!
And that, Sir, is why I live in over-regulated Fairfax County, Virginia. I don't even like driving thru PG County on 495/95.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

I was just up in Springfield for the weekend. There was a hell of a lot of fireworks going off on Friday and Saturday nights! WTF? Over!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

panthersix wrote:I was just up in Springfield for the weekend. There was a hell of a lot of fireworks going off on Friday and Saturday nights! WTF? Over!
It is a long-standing tradition. We set off fireworks in our neighborhoods on 4 July.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Close Combat”