is good wrestling advantageous?

Hand to Hand, Combative Skills, etc...
wrestler
Embryo

is good wrestling advantageous?

Post by wrestler »

I’m not sure if such a post is out of place, if so I apologize for my ignorance.

I’ve read through the posts in this section and have read much of MMA, BJJ, as well as various forms of self defense and forms of attack.

My question too all you experienced Rangers and combat competitors, does wrestling make a difference in H2H combat or training? I don’t mean a year of quick wrestling, but years of dedication and true skill. Will it be advantageous? Will it matter in basic or airborne or RIP?

Thank you Rangers and other personnel.
To wrestle for glory is incomprehensible.
None of those people cheering for you can push you past your breaking point into a realm of strength and honor.
At the end of the day it's only you and him, and let me tell you boys...When all is said and done, only one hand is raised.
People forget wins and losses, but not you.
Wrestle not for the glory and recognition of others.
Wrestle for you and yours.

-Coach
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

If you train hard, then you'll be in better shape and be more mentally tough. It'll be an advantage in your training.

As far as your wrestling skills themselves, they'll helpful during combatives training, but they'll only take you so far. Your opponents are much more limited in what they can do to you in a wrestling match than in a combatives match, so you won't be able to take your skills and roll over absolutely everyone. However, some of the best guys I've fought against were college and high school wrestlers.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
Rangerguru
Ranger

Re: is good wrestling advantageous?

Post by Rangerguru »

wrestler wrote:I’m not sure if such a post is out of place, if so I apologize for my ignorance.

I’ve read through the posts in this section and have read much of MMA, BJJ, as well as various forms of self defense and forms of attack.

My question too all you experienced Rangers and combat competitors, does wrestling make a difference in H2H combat or training? I don’t mean a year of quick wrestling, but years of dedication and true skill. Will it be advantageous? Will it matter in basic or airborne or RIP?

Thank you Rangers and other personnel.
It seems to work for Randy Couture and Matt Hughes.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Being a MACP instructor I see wrestlers get their asses handed to them all the time. Only because they've trained themselves to not go to their back (a much better palce to be than face down in a H2H fight), get that bad habit out of your technique and wrestling will be a huge advatage for you. You know how to move yourself and your opponent around on the ground.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Wrestling will be a plus. Excelling at any sport brings many advantages in terms of physical fitness, the will to win and self discipline. Close combat is a pistol, a bayonet, knife, a swing or throw of the nearest suitable object, and repeated kicks.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

NEVER GO UNARMED TO A GUN FIGHT!!!!!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
wrestler
Embryo

Post by wrestler »

Thank you, Rangers.
To wrestle for glory is incomprehensible.
None of those people cheering for you can push you past your breaking point into a realm of strength and honor.
At the end of the day it's only you and him, and let me tell you boys...When all is said and done, only one hand is raised.
People forget wins and losses, but not you.
Wrestle not for the glory and recognition of others.
Wrestle for you and yours.

-Coach
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

rangertough wrote:Being a MACP instructor I see wrestlers get their asses handed to them all the time. Only because they've trained themselves to not go to their back (a much better palce to be than face down in a H2H fight), get that bad habit out of your technique and wrestling will be a huge advatage for you. You know how to move yourself and your opponent around on the ground.

Tough
You beat me to it.

When we first started the Gracie stuff, I kept getting my ass handed to me by guys who had a different background in martial arts or none at all.

Once I figured out it was a good thing to get to my back and get into the guard, things were very easy for me. The body mechanics of moving people around and the knowledge of where you are at on the mat are a big advantage.

Did you just wrestle for your school? Back in the day, High School wrestled Folk style. You had to wrestle for a club off season for Freestyle or Greco. I wrestled all three disciplines. Grecko definately helped with the Gracie stuff. Body weight / momemtum.

You speak of having a lot of experience, so please tell me what your wrestling background is.

I guess the bottom line is, now, your back is your friend. Just like when you were fucking around in the wrestling room with your buddy trying to "pin" yourself. Same thought.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Lanista
Embryo

Get kids into Wrestling and Judo

Post by Lanista »

The chokes, submission moves and throws of judo with the throws and ground control of wrestling are a difficult combination of techniques for a striker to overcome. Kids stay out of the principal's office and avoid nasty suspensions while effectively defending themselves with techniques that don't require striking. Hitting an opponent with a fist is never as effective as hitting them with a brick wall, a parking lot or a bush. Lots of other benes all the way through college and life.
Proud Father of a Ranger
TF 51, F Co 51st INF
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Welcome to the site Lanista. Please post an introduction in the appropriate forum. We like to know who we're talking to.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
FIST TEAM LTR
Ranger

Post by FIST TEAM LTR »

I wonder what they called it went we fought hand to gland??

Any ring time, mat time, pit time is good. Wrestling is a good base for other techniques, I concur with not wanting to go to your back, you have to be comfortable in any position.
1st Ranger Bn HHC 1978-81
A Company FIST Team
RGR Class 9-79
JohnDowland
Ranger

Post by JohnDowland »

Having been a wrestler during highschool helped me to kick ass during the circle jerk at Cole range; after getting to Batt it was less helpful. The H2H training given there emphasized short range striking, improvised use of on-hand items (helmet, empty CAR-15, handset cables, whatever), and some practical grappling. It seemed a better preparation for what might actually have taken place on a city street in Haiti, or some place similar.

They incorporated some good knife training as well. Being able to do this isn't all that effective when your opponent has a blade in your ribs. (Anyone here know who's sporting the scroll?)
3/75 '93-'95
Operation Uphold Democracy '94
OIF '10
OEF '10/'11
USASOC Chaplain

"Let not him who girds on his armor boast as he who takes it off!" - Ahab, king of Israel

Return to “Close Combat”