RANT: All Army Combatives Tournament is an MMA match.

Hand to Hand, Combative Skills, etc...
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

RANT: All Army Combatives Tournament is an MMA match.

Post by rangertough »

As a Combatives instructor I was irate when I read the Army Times article about the Tournament. Bunch of wannabe MMA cats fighting it out in Fight shorts and barefoot. If you want to fight MMA that's great but the MACP is not an MMA match it is a program designed to instill confidence, develop your H2H skills, and give soldiers a non-lethal to lethal way to restrain or kill an opponet. Rant Complete.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

SO in your opinion they should fight in ACUs, boots, body armor and with helmets on, as well as weapon slung somewhere on their body?
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Nomad wrote:SO in your opinion they should fight in ACUs, boots, body armor and with helmets on, as well as weapon slung somewhere on their body?
With an up-dated ROE memo in their fucking teeth.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Nomad wrote:SO in your opinion they should fight in ACUs, boots, body armor and with helmets on, as well as weapon slung somewhere on their body?
I have been of that opinion since the whole Kung-Fu training started.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Kilted Heathen wrote:
With an up-dated ROE memo in their fucking teeth.
Are you going to be writing that particular piece? :lol:
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Almost four months later and I get a response :P

I think there's a happy medium between the real deal and training. Tapout shorts and barefoot isn't it. I support the tournaments because they have really been a driving force getting the rest of the Army invovlved in MAC. Unfortunately, the Army thinks of the MACP as a recruiting tool and not what the program was designed for.

This is just my opinion, I don't think anyone has to agree with it.
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

rangertough wrote:
Almost four months later and I get a response :P

I think there's a happy medium between the real deal and training. Tapout shorts and barefoot isn't it. I support the tournaments because they have really been a driving force getting the rest of the Army invovlved in MAC. Unfortunately, the Army thinks of the MACP as a recruiting tool and not what the program was designed for.

This is just my opinion, I don't think anyone has to agree with it.
Most of what is taught is pussy shit anyway and highly over rated.

If theyrolled it all into one lenghty course, then you would have some bad motherfuckers who couldy train their studs
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Ndog275
Ranger

Post by Ndog275 »

One I was on VBC I got to do a few level one classes. The Army has come a long way with it, but they also have fragmented it a lot. I found myself not being allowed to do a lot of things. But I also found myself submitted a few times by younger figthers with less training because they're basics were tight and mine were rusty. For example, I'd find myself in a bad spot grappling wise, but in a ok spot striking wise, wasn't allowed to incorporate strikes to get myself out of bad spots that I let myself get into. The joes were often blind to the fact that I could start raining fists and elbows. It was after all, a level one class though.

When we're allowed to roll freestyle I was able to incorporate a lot for stuff and had fun beating up joes.
A 1/75 93-97
B&HHC 2/75 97-99
RS 3,4&5-95

This mighty soldier on the eve of the war he waged
Told his troops of lessons learned from battles fought.
"May your heart grow bolder like an iron-clad brigade"
Said this leader to his outnumbered lot.

www.75thrra.com
www.tacticaltailor.com
kozzman555
Inprocessing

Post by kozzman555 »

what are the rules for the dustpit? do they give you basic rules, such as ball kicking being off limits, etc or do they tell you to get in there and knock the other dude out?
Mentee of RangerRon
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

kozzman555 wrote:what are the rules for the dustpit? do they give you basic rules, such as ball kicking being off limits, etc or do they tell you to get in there and knock the other dude out?
All training is situationally dependent. Which is a funny way of me saying, "You'll find out when you get there. Now shut up and go do some PT."

Also, kicks to the testes causes pain. Pain won't win you a fight by itself. Especially not if you're wasting time trying to inflict it while the other guy is busy beating you into dreamland.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
kozzman555
Inprocessing

Post by kozzman555 »

Roger that, Ranger EvilCouch
Mentee of RangerRon

Return to “Close Combat”