Introduction - Marc

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
SunTzulu
US Army Veteran

Introduction - Marc

Post by SunTzulu »

Good evening Rangers,

My name is Marc, 27, prior service Army 74D. I spent my whole career as a member of HHD, 23d CBRNE BN. I was stationed at JBLM for two years and Camp Stanley, Korea for another two. I ran a Ranger PT test with the Recruiters of 2/75 and did great. My CSM refused to sign the papers releasing me to go to RASP which resulted in my 2 years in Korea. I left the Army with a sour taste.

I am no longer affiliated with the Army/IRR. But the itch has been in my heart and I haven’t been able to shake it. I plan on re-enlisting as a 13F and signing that RASP contract in AIT. I have considered other branches because I now have a family but I will never truly be satisfied unless I make it in the Regiment.

I came here for the knowledge and mentorship from Rangers, as I am older and more mature now. And I am handling the physical part & trying to get my 5 miles back to sub 33 minutes.
“People never realize how close they were to success when they decided to quit” - Thomas Edison

HHD, 23d CBRNE BN - 2010-2014
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Re: Introduction - Marc

Post by Disinfertention »

Hey Marc. Welcome to the site. It seems like you've done a bit of research on the topic. Is there a particular reason why you are picking 13F?

Have you spoken to a recruiter yet? How's your most recent apft and 5 mile run if you've had time to do them?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
SunTzulu
US Army Veteran

Post by SunTzulu »

To answer you question Ranger Disinfertention, and I hope I am not all over the place with my explanation, I did some call for fire exercises with 2ID in Korea and a few at JBLM. Always loved those classes. I was a Chemical guy and never had fun until the 13F’s snuck me away for some training. I wanted to be one so bad. I told myself if I ever re-enlisted it would be as a FiSTer.

Being prior service, my job retraining is contingent on Army Prior service business rules. And until the last few months they did not have a Ranger eligible MOS available for me to retrain into. Just recently the Army opened up 13F for prior service retraining. I am ineligible for an Option 40 contract as a Prior Service re-trainee. I am betting all my chips on the Regiment coming to recruit at AIT for me to get that opportunity.

I did inquire about my situation with a recruiter to cover all my bases. There are some things that need to be corrected before they will move forward with the processing. I didn’t have a wife and twins while I was in so I will need a dependent waiver for one of them. He will handle that once I fix my deficiencies. I also have some debt in collections from a hospital visit so they won’t look at getting me a contract until that is settled. Come tax season that account will not be an issue. Until then I am focusing on PT.

My physical fitness needs an overhaul for sure. I am in shape, but I am not in Ranger shape. I am training daily but my regimen while I was in the Army was different than what I have been doing these past few years. While I was in, I was boxing, running half marathons, and I was 170lbs. When I got out of the Army I started lifting. These last three years I have been lifting like a bodybuilder with minimal cardio. I know that a high 5 rep bench press won’t mean a thing in RASP.

This past month has seen me change my PT in pursuit of my goal to re-enlist. I Ruck, I run, I lift, I stretch, I study, and I rest. My diet has also changed. Still a work in process if I am being honest. But I have been there so I know what needs to be done to get back.

I hope my answers were sufficient. Any further information needed I can provide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“People never realize how close they were to success when they decided to quit” - Thomas Edison

CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Marc.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
SunTzulu
US Army Veteran

Post by SunTzulu »

CharlieRanger1FFV wrote:Welcome to the site, Marc.

RLTW!!!
Thanks for having me Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV

Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Marc, sounds like you're on the right track to getting back in. Hopefully you can get your issues resolved quickly and fairly painlessly.

There is currently a recruiter at Sill and they have a Facebook page if you use that social media site... I can't check it myself but the site is @RangerFSOK or something to that effect. It's pretty new but might be worth checking out.

Be sure to keep us updated on your progress to getting back in!
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
SunTzulu
US Army Veteran

Post by SunTzulu »

There is currently a recruiter at Sill and they have a Facebook page if you use that social media site... I can't check it myself but the site is @RangerFSOK or something to that effect. It's pretty new but might be worth checking out.

Wow I can’t thank you enough for that information! It makes it so much more easier to have direct access to them! I will most Definitely keep you updated on the progress Rangers!

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Good luck with your goal man, I went the same route and couldn’t secure a Ranger contract due to being prior service. Took my chances with a commo MOS, ended up at Ft Sill also for retraining.

I missed the Ranger recruiting period while there, still remember his name I was so intent on meeting with him (Sgt Wolf) but it wasn’t in the cards at the time.

I took my 2 weeks leave after AIT and flew myself to Ft Lewis, got myself a billet, and took a cab over to 2d Battalion. Told them this is where I wanted to be and that I had skipped leave to come talk to them before I was due to inprocess to my unit of order.

2 days later they came knocking on my door to pick me up, couldn’t have been happier with the outcome.

It’s there if you want it bad enough.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Cams that's not the first time I've heard that story from you (I don't think anyway! Getting old...) and it motivates the fuck out of me. I want you to call me every morning and tell it to me so I'm not such a turd. 8)
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

hahahahaha. Thanks. It really was a one in a million shot and it actually worked out. But as they say be careful what you wish for... Imagine walking around in the quad and living in the barracks as a leg for 6months. PFC with no beret and no jump wings but wearing a Scroll, and then stereo Scrolls, being an RTO I was signed out to the line companies for FTX’s and nobody really knew me yet or WTF I was doing there lol, every MF I came across smoking the ever loving shit out of me thinking I was out of uniform and being a total shitbag by my appearance alone, then being even more mad when they found out I actually was a leg! Holy shit the smoke was thick. I like to joke and say that 3 week RIP period was nothing, mine lasted for 6 months of drunken Spec4 Mafia determined to either make me quit or literally kill me 24/7.

I actually had one Spec4 in Rio Hato kick me out of his hole under indescriminate small arms fire because he said he wouldn’t die with a fucking leg. I had to get out and run to the platoon latrine pit and jump inside of it alone. When I realized where I was from the stink I got pissed, no pun intended, and climbed out shooting, sat up on the edge firing back at muzzle flashes while that fag hid in his hole until SFC Porter saw me and started screaming at me to get back in the hole. FML. Then he smoked me later for “being an idiot” afterwards not knowing what had transpired. Fun times. It was not easy.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

That is beyond nuts. You can come die in my foxhole anytime you dirty leg. ;)
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Roger S’arnt, I did get squared away finally with my wings the following August, Blood Wings on my birthday. Funny even the Black Hats called me upstairs and smoked me upon my arrival there, asking who the fuck did I think I was showing up with stereo Scrolls and not being airborne yet.
They thought I was a poser or something so I had to explain everything to them from the front leaning rest.

*Wanted to edit my post yesterday to add (was having trouble logging back in), I know you were being funny about motivation and “being a turd” but all it takes is one look at your sigline, your time in Regiment and your time overseas and it speaks for itself Brother. One of the most respectable resumeś I’ve ever seen.

Not to hijack the OP’s intro, apologize if it did, but this will give you some idea also of what Batt life is like and no matter how much it hurts, or how much people may seem to hate you at first, they really just want to make sure you’re not going to quit on them when things get tough, and they will. Once you’ve shown that, they will love and protect you with their own lives, it’s worth every minute of pain to get there.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

SunTzulu
US Army Veteran

Post by SunTzulu »

@Ranger Cams,

Sorry but what are stereo scrolls? Just curious

And is SFC Porter the same Ranger from that surviving the cut documentary a few years back?

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

SunTzulu wrote: November 7th, 2018, 10:55 am @Ranger Cams,

Sorry but what are stereo scrolls? Just curious

And is SFC Porter the same Ranger from that surviving the cut documentary a few years back?

Stereo Scrolls is just a term we use if you have a right shoulder combat Scroll in Batt. Like two speakers for a stereo.

And no I don’t imagine that’s the same SFC Porter, he was a SSG/SFC during the late 80’s early 90’s. He’d be retired by now prolly as a CSM.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”