Introduction

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
ay17
Soldier

Introduction

Post by ay17 »

Hello Rangers,
My name is Alan, I am currently an E-5 and have spent the last few years as a 12R (electrician) in the Army Reserve. I have realized that I made a mistake joining the Reserve from the moment I got to my unit. I finally was able to get a conditional release from the Reserve and have recently enlisted to go onto Active Duty as a 13F. Due to my prior service status and the limited amount of time until my release was to expire, I could not get an option 40 with my enlistment. My hope is to one day be able to serve in the Ranger Battalion, and possibly be able to earn a slot for RASP during my re-class to 13F, especially since I will be going to an AIT class with mostly IET soldiers hopefully that is an option. I have always tried to maintain my PT and my last APFT score was as follows: 81 PU; 90 SU; 2 mile 12:39. Thank you for allowing me on the site, it is a true privilege.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by Jim »

Welcome, Alan. We at ArmyRanger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Please tell us more about yourself -- what have you been doing? Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the quick links feature, located on the top left of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
ay17
Soldier

Post by ay17 »

Thank you for the welcome Ranger Jim. I am 26 years old, and I joined the Reserve while in college. I had a lot of influences telling me not to go Active Duty at that time, mainly my parents who wanted to see me finish school. After I returned from my IET training, I realized that I wanted to be on Active Duty. I contacted my unit about this and they told me to wait because we were heading to a deployment rotation. We did end up deploying to Afghanistan but it was about three years later. After we returned I decided to go back to school and try the ROTC program. Having a family, it was hard to financially support them in school full time so I decided to become a State Trooper for the time being. I applied, got accepted and went to their academy. The whole time I knew that I wanted to be on Active Duty eventually. After I completed my training, I put in my 368 and waited. Initially I was told my only contract option would be 18X. It took right at about a year for my release to come back. When it came back I realized that the business rules for prior service had changed and I had a lot more options open. I then realized that 13F is an MOS that is needed in the Ranger Battalions so I chose that, but could not get the opt. 40. I did get the MEPS to give me an airborne physical so I would be prepared in case I can earn one in my re-class AIT. I have also contacted the recruiters for the 75th Ranger Battalion via email in hopes of learning more information on what can do.
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Alan.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
ay17