RASP 2 Questions

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
firefox777
Egg

RASP 2 Questions

Post by firefox777 »

Rangers,

I am a prior-service 68W and current 2LT 13A exploring different opportunities in Ranger Regiment, but I am looking to get some initial questions answered if you would lend some assistance. Right now, I am a Troop Fire Support Officer and would like to continue along this path in Ranger Regiment, however I am not Airborne or Ranger qualified at this time. I am not sure if this hurts my chances for being competitive enough IOT actually gain a slot to attend RASP 2 or not. If so, at this point there is not much I can do about getting an Airborne slot, although my duty station does do a Pre-Ranger course. Would it be more beneficial to try and knock out Ranger school before or after RASP 2? Also, if RASP 2 does happen first for me, are Ranger school and Airborne school follow-on courses I would be slotted to attend prior to becoming operational in Regiment? From what I have gathered from my own research, 2LTs are not very sought after for RASP 2 candidates; I am looking at 1LT in November timeframe so I have some time to prepare physically, mentally, etc. and decide whether or not this is something I want to do (and of course whether or not the wife and son are up for it). What are some things I can be doing now to prepare physically and get a leg ahead? Thanks for any advice you all can share
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: RASP 2 Questions

Post by Jim »

Firefox777, Your initial post should have been an introduction. Accordingly, your post has been moved to the introduction area. Please tell us more about yourself.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
firefox777
Egg

Post by firefox777 »

My apologies, thank you for moving the post,

Not much more to say as far as introductions go. My commission was through ROTC, and I have a little over 6 years time in service at this point. I was fortunate enough to be sent to the Joint Fires Observer, Weaponeering Precision Fires Course, and Collateral Damage Estimation courses after FA BOLC so I have those skill sets so far. Any tips for preparation and a general timeline for dropping a packet for RASP 2 would be helpful thanks
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I would begin by trying to get a Ranger School slot in your unit, then attend the pre-Ranger. There is a wealth of information on this site that can help you prepare yourself.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
firefox777
Egg

Post by firefox777 »

Thanks,

I assume the Pre-Ranger course is designed primarily for preparing physically and mentally for the rigors of Ranger school; although it will also help with physical preparation for RASP 2. In terms of which course to try to attend first would RASP 2 or Ranger school be a more viable option to try and go through first? Attending and graduating RASP 2 gets you into the regiment, but is Ranger school still a requirement?
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

firefox777 wrote:Thanks,

I assume the Pre-Ranger course is designed primarily for preparing physically and mentally for the rigors of Ranger school; although it will also help with physical preparation for RASP 2. In terms of which course to try to attend first would RASP 2 or Ranger school be a more viable option to try and go through first? Attending and graduating RASP 2 gets you into the regiment, but is Ranger school still a requirement?
It's been a long time since I was in, but in my day an officer didn't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting into a Battalion, unless he was Airborne and Ranger qualified. It seems to me you should be trying to get your WINGS and your TAB before trying to get to Regiment as a Fire-Support Officer.
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

rangerjd wrote:
firefox777 wrote:Thanks,

It's been a long time since I was in, but in my day an officer didn't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting into a Battalion, unless he was Airborne and Ranger qualified. It seems to me you should be trying to get your WINGS and your TAB before trying to get to Regiment as a Fire-Support Officer.
This. As a Commissioned Officer you will need Airborne, Ranger School and RASP 02 before you'll even step inside the fence. Even then Officer slots are very few and far between there because it is such a highly sought after assignment for career Officers.

If it were me Sir, planning career wise, I'd get Airborne and Ranger School done first. Those alone will help you in your career greatly, then put in for RASP 02 after you're square. Seems to be the best route as if you fail RASP, get hurt, not be selected, or God forbid you quit, you'll still have a leg up career wise on your peers in big army.

Only junior enlisted up to SPC/E-4, would be able to join Regiment without having a Tab. But they would still need Airborne and RASP 01.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”