Introduction - Caleb

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
musicmano3596
Paratrooper

Introduction - Caleb

Post by musicmano3596 »

Hello all, I am Caleb. I am an infantryman currently assigned to 4th BDE (Airborne), 25th INF DIV. Here is my story, I went to OSUT in January of 2014, graduated April 14, completed airborne school, and went to pre-rasp. I was a Pre-Rasp candidate for 6 weeks waiting to "class up". 5 days before our "class up" we had our initial PT test. I was not overtly worried about it. I have been a 300+ pt scorer since OSUT (and still am). Well, here I am, on the sit ups pumping them out at a pretty good pace. Every even so far as been scored as a 100+. I am at 20 seconds, and have completed 29 sit ups. At this point, my shorts proceed to slide all the way up my hips so everything is very visible to the whole world. At the same time I see a female in uniform walking along the track next to where we are conducting our PT test. If she were to look over, she would have a very clear line of sight to my personal appendages. In my head I start to think "Ok FM 21-20 states that if your hands come unlocked during the situps that the repetition you were on when your hands broke apart will not be counted. If she looks over here and sees up my pants, knowing my luck, I will receive a SHARP complaint for sexual harassment. So I will go up to the rest position, fix my shorts and get back to it." At the time this seemed like an easy choice. So I go up to the rest position, fix my shorts, and start back again. (Yes, trust me I realize now how stupid that was.) At the same time, the NCO grading me states "You unlocked your hands, the excersize has been terminated" and I look up at him like he had a third eye thinking "Surely he must be joking". Nope he wasn't. So I was removed from the RASP program with a "PT Test failure" on my profile. I then came down on orders for 4/25. I arrived there in July. As I was in processing into the brigade, CSM Hacker singled me out of the group and I was instructed to follow him. He then proceeded to walk me down to S1, and change my orders from 3/509 to HHC BDE. Fuck me right? So I am an Infantryman stuck in the S3 world. September I left on a NATO peacekeeping deployment in the Balkans of Europe. I am an RTO in the BDE JOC. We will not be redeploying back to the states until July of next year. My dream has been since I enlisted to be in the 75th. It still is. Now that I see what the "Big Army" is like, the fact that the best friends I have ever had, and still do have, are in regiment now, and the fact that I am not content with myself (I know I can do better. I know I can be better, and I know I can perform and do my job better in regiment than where I am now) has added gas to my internal fire to be a ranger. My plan is to complete this tour, redeploy back stateside, and go TDY to RASP 1. I honestly do not think I will have a problem having my chain of command sign off on the paper work, up to and/or including a 4187 simply because I have set myself apart. The BDE CDR has noticed me and now knows me by name and pulls me aside to talk to me on a regular basis. Same with our BDE CSM. I have contacted the 75th Recruiting team and am currently waiting on my S1 to fix my ERB and update it so I can send it to them. That is my story, that is who I am.
Infantryman
Currently overseas assigned to 4th Brigade (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division.
Sparta Lives!
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Re: Introduction - Caleb

Post by centermass »

Welcome. First off, until you earn the right, fix your sigline.

Next, when you make a lengthy post such as this, do the members a favor and break it up into paragraphs as when it's all blocked together, it's a pain trying to digest all of it.

As for re applying for RASP, you may or may not have a shot. It "Depends" on quite a few factors. Some that come to mind are time left in service, how strong the recommendation letters are worded, who wrote them along with your character and potential as an asset in the military's premier light infantry force. It had also better have a major emphasis on your level of fitness since going world wide.

Other factors may be who's still there and whether or not sour grapes were involved or displayed during this situation when you were at RASP up until you departed.

If the stars align and all the I's are dotted and T's crossed, there's a good chance you may get it right this time. And during the APFT, even if your junk spills out and your soiling your pants as you fart, charlie mike the test until completely done and the grader says so.

Good luck.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
musicmano3596
Paratrooper

Post by musicmano3596 »

Ranger Centermass,

First, My apologies. I meant no disrespect to any person who has earned that title.

At the time of the earliest possible date for my return to rasp I will have about exactly 2.25 years left on my contract.

I am not entirely sure what you were referring to by "sour grapes", but if my assumptions are correct, then that will not be an issue. I was never a "problem candidate". Never attracted any negative attention. I didn't even try to fight the decision for fear of being disrespectful.

Concerning the recommendation letters, I am hoping to have good results with that. My OIC is the BDE S3 (A Ranger). My BDE CSM and BDE CDR are both Rangers as well, and my Squad Leader already started passing the word up the chain of command about my efforts to return to rasp and all three said they would both; not have a problem signing the papers, but would also provide me with the letters of recommendation.

Concerning my level of fitness, I have a scheduled APFT in 2 weeks, and a good friend of mine is in S1 (E-4 with 3 tours in 1/75) and he said as soon as I get the PT card he will add it to my ERB. Once that happens I should have a 300 PT score on my ERB to attach and send to the 75th Recruiter.

Any other advice/warnings would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,
Caleb
Infantryman
Sparta Lives!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Welcome, Caleb. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at ArmyRanger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

You should a said "fuck it" and just finished the sit-ups. The Female in question would have been hard pressed to get a harassment charge to stick, if it came to that.

That being said, good luck with it.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
musicmano3596
Paratrooper

Post by musicmano3596 »

Understood now Ranger Sleepy Doc. At the time I just had just been released from TRADOC where they drill the whole SHARP thing into you, and tell you all those stories of soldiers being dishonorably discharged and being a registered sex offender for pissing in the woods and a female saw them from behind. In my opinion now, even dealing with a Sexual harrasment case (Not assualt) would have been a price I would have been willing to pay. Lessons learned.
Infantryman
Sparta Lives!
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

musicmano3596 wrote:Hello all, I am Caleb. I am an infantryman currently assigned to 4th BDE (Airborne), 25th INF DIV. Here is my story, I went to OSUT in January of 2014, graduated April 14, completed airborne school, and went to pre-rasp. I was a Pre-Rasp candidate for 6 weeks waiting to "class up". 5 days before our "class up" we had our initial PT test. I was not overtly worried about it. I have been a 300+ pt scorer since OSUT (and still am). Well, here I am, on the sit ups pumping them out at a pretty good pace. Every even so far as been scored as a 100+. I am at 20 seconds, and have completed 29 sit ups. At this point, my shorts proceed to slide all the way up my hips so everything is very visible to the whole world. At the same time I see a female in uniform walking along the track next to where we are conducting our PT test. If she were to look over, she would have a very clear line of sight to my personal appendages. In my head I start to think "Ok FM 21-20 states that if your hands come unlocked during the situps that the repetition you were on when your hands broke apart will not be counted. If she looks over here and sees up my pants, knowing my luck, I will receive a SHARP complaint for sexual harassment. So I will go up to the rest position, fix my shorts and get back to it." At the time this seemed like an easy choice. So I go up to the rest position, fix my shorts, and start back again. (Yes, trust me I realize now how stupid that was.) At the same time, the NCO grading me states "You unlocked your hands, the excersize has been terminated" and I look up at him like he had a third eye thinking "Surely he must be joking". Nope he wasn't. So I was removed from the RASP program with a "PT Test failure" on my profile. I then came down on orders for 4/25. I arrived there in July. As I was in processing into the brigade, CSM Hacker singled me out of the group and I was instructed to follow him. He then proceeded to walk me down to S1, and change my orders from 3/509 to HHC BDE. Fuck me right? So I am an Infantryman stuck in the S3 world. September I left on a NATO peacekeeping deployment in the Balkans of Europe. I am an RTO in the BDE JOC. We will not be redeploying back to the states until July of next year. My dream has been since I enlisted to be in the 75th. It still is. Now that I see what the "Big Army" is like, the fact that the best friends I have ever had, and still do have, are in regiment now, and the fact that I am not content with myself (I know I can do better. I know I can be better, and I know I can perform and do my job better in regiment than where I am now) has added gas to my internal fire to be a ranger. My plan is to complete this tour, redeploy back stateside, and go TDY to RASP 1. I honestly do not think I will have a problem having my chain of command sign off on the paper work, up to and/or including a 4187 simply because I have set myself apart. The BDE CDR has noticed me and now knows me by name and pulls me aside to talk to me on a regular basis. Same with our BDE CSM. I have contacted the 75th Recruiting team and am currently waiting on my S1 to fix my ERB and update it so I can send it to them. That is my story, that is who I am.
Sounds like this should have been posted in the 'No Shit, There I Was', category. If you truly want this, then there should be nothing in the world that would stop you from getting it, to include loose hanging fruit. :? Keep your nose clean, keep your mind on the task at hand, and realize you may have to extend or reenlist to get a chance to go back to RASP, if you can go back. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
musicmano3596
Paratrooper

Post by musicmano3596 »

Rangerjd,
I plan on re-enlisting no matter what happens. I was taught growing up to fight tooth and nail for everything I want in life, and I have held on to that even to this day.

And yes, it definetly belongs in a "no shit, there I was category".
Infantryman
Sparta Lives!

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”