Intro utopify

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
utopify
US Army

Intro utopify

Post by utopify »

Rangers,

Thank you to those that have put this site together and maintain it for everyone. I have been lurking for a little while and have really enjoyed the wealth of information provided. I'm 36, joined the military later in life but am giving 110%. I am in the 19th SFG(A), in the UTNG (Nasty Girl to you AD guys). I've been in the corporate world for too long and would have regretted not serving in some capacity. Last year, my group joined up with SOCKOR and conducted some missions in the ROK. I lead our group 6 shop and love the job. It was VERY difficult convincing my command that I need RANGER as a 25A (signal), but after some hard work and PT showing I was worthy, was awarded a slot as shown in my signature line. I have about a year to prepare, but it will go by fast. So, I decided to join the site and spend a year doing all I can both physically and academically to prepare.
I apologize for the windy introduction!

Huge thank you to those that have led the way and are willing to come here to help us.
19th SFG(A) UTNG
4-2012 - Current
25A
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Intro dmaddox

Post by Jim »

Welcome utopify. Interesting, we seldom run across many ARNG soldiers who want to attend RS. My suggestion is, please read letters from school thread as well as the Ranger School thread. Most questions you might have were likely addressed at least once. The search feature, located on this page is your friend. You are correct in saying that the time will pass quickly. Are you scheduled to attend the ARNG pre-Ranger training, or are you scheduled to just enter the course? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
utopify
US Army

Re: Intro utopify

Post by utopify »

Jim,

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I am scheduled to attend a three week pre ranger before RS. Very little is explained on our end, and it is difficult to get straight answers off the internet.

My main concerns/questions (as I have also searched this site) are things like TLP's and OPORDER shells and templates. I bought myself a ranger handbook and have been memorizing - but when I attended OCS @ Benning - it seemed to me we had about 15 different versions of OPORDER shells floating around, and I ended up with whatever a holdover candidate had a copy of. I want to tighten up the academic side of my candidacy.

As goofy as it may seem, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWzcmpu0ySA has been helpful in how an OPORDER is delivered. Again, I went through TLP at OCS during field week in our squad lanes, but there didn't seem to be a solid standard template. Do I just use the RANGER handbook? Is there a tip/trick to memorizing or building a oporder template?

Thank you.
19th SFG(A) UTNG
4-2012 - Current
25A
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Look at the Ranger School thread on this site. You may find a lot of insights. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, utopify.

RLTW!!!