Intro MAO12A

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
MAO12A
Embryo

Intro MAO12A

Post by MAO12A »

Greetings all Rangers and other members of the site!

I am an Engineer 2LT who is currently serving as a Horizontal Company PL and an AGR Officer. I joined the site to find new ideas regarding PT, fieldcraft, and anything else that may help me be a better Soldier and leader. I am very hopeful that I will get a shot at Ranger School someday, but with the current budget, I am not fully
confident that I will get a shot.

I was a 74D as an enlisted Soldier and then applied for ODC. I have served in a MRBC, HHC in a QM Group, and an Aviation Company as a 74D. Since commissioning, I have served in a Route Clearance Company and most recently have been assigned to a Horizontal Company.

I have a strong interest in how Engineer assets can support maneuver forces, and feel like I could learn something from how Engineer assets are utilized within USASOC and the 75th Ranger Regiment. I like to find interesting and innovative ways to employ my troops and resources to accomplish the mission.

I will not ask many questions, and will more than likely lurk more than I post....just to ensure that I stay in my lane. If anyone has any questions, I am an open book. I have no problems answering Engineer or Chemical related questions if any do come up. I don't mind discussing maneuver or other support related questions/comments. Outside of that, I will be here just to see what I can learn. Maybe someday I will get my shot at Ranger School or a USASOC assignment, but I can always improve as a Soldier and a leader.
12A
USAR
Current PL/AGR for an Horizontal Engineer Company
Served as a 74D as an enlisted Soldier Prior to commissioning
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Re: Intro MAO12A

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

Welcome to the site, sir. I'll hit you with a question though - what is a Horizontal Company?
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Spent a year as a Route Clearance BN S3 NCOIC and LNO.

The only EN Officer I met in RGT was the RGT EN (O4) his job involved researching breaching techniques mostly.

I'll let you answer SLEDGE HAMMER. You can explain Horizontal/Verticle/Combat better than I can.

Welcome
Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
MAO12A
Embryo

Post by MAO12A »

Thank you Rangers for the warm welcome!

Ranger Sledge Hammer, a Horizontal Company is a construction company with a focus on roads, airfields, sites (such as FOBS, pads for the buildings, etc). We have equipment such as dozers, scrapers, graders, HYEX's, compactors, etc. A common mission recently has been route remediation, which is the repair of the craters created by IED's. I hope that helps!
12A
USAR
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Welcome MA012A, where are you located? How long have you been in the AGR program? Have you earned your SAPPER tab?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

MAO12A wrote:Thank you Rangers for the warm welcome!

Ranger Sledge Hammer, a Horizontal Company is a construction company with a focus on roads, airfields, sites (such as FOBS, pads for the buildings, etc). We have equipment such as dozers, scrapers, graders, HYEX's, compactors, etc. A common mission recently has been route remediation, which is the repair of the craters created by IED's. I hope that helps!
I thought it might be one of those "Comfort Battalions" that had been re-activated:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_C ... ssociation
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
MAO12A
Embryo

Post by MAO12A »

Jim wrote:Welcome MA012A, where are you located? How long have you been in the AGR program? Have you earned your SAPPER tab?
Ranger Jim,

I am located at a Reserve Center in the Hudson Valley of NY (Bullville to be precise). I am relatively close to West Point. I just picked up AGR recently, and I am so new that I still do not have access to most of the systems that I need.

I have not earned my Sapper Tab yet. I have been begging for that school for years, and with the limited slots....it seems highly unlikely since I am currently assigned to a construction effects Battalion. There are new ASI's for Engineer officers which are seemingly defining paths/careers for Engineer Officers, so maybe this will help to increase the number of Reserve Engineer officers that get a shot at Sapper School. Ranger School might be a little easier with the fact that there are more slots each year, but once again....budget constraints and trying to present a need to such a challenging course creates an uphill battle.
12A
USAR
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Have you been to the Engineer Officer Basic Course yet?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
MAO12A
Embryo

Post by MAO12A »

Jim wrote:Have you been to the Engineer Officer Basic Course yet?
Ranger Jim,

I completed EBOLC this past spring. We had a few Sapper Slots given to the class but they were only for the Active Duty LT's.
12A
USAR
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

MAO12A wrote:
Jim wrote:I am located at a Reserve Center in the Hudson Valley of NY (Bullville to be precise).
Interesting..I grew up in Newburgh right down the road. Small world.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
MAO12A
Embryo

Post by MAO12A »

SLEDGE HAMMER wrote:
MAO12A wrote:
Jim wrote:I am located at a Reserve Center in the Hudson Valley of NY (Bullville to be precise).
Interesting..I grew up in Newburgh right down the road. Small world.
Ranger SLEDGE HAMMER,

I live on the outskirts of New Windsor and Newburgh. As I come back into town...if I turn left I am in Newburgh, stay straight/veer right.....New Windsor.
12A
USAR
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I think you are beginning to realize this is a unique site.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”