Introduction

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
FOGofWar

Introduction

Post by FOGofWar »

Greetings Rangers,

Below is a brief bio, as requested:

ROTC Drexel Univ. ’65-’67 Got my first exposure to Rangers in the unofficial Ranger program Ranger,Cpt Gunning set up. Other than map reading and the orientation on artillery, the ranger activities were the best part of the entire four years.

IOBC 5 -67 Ft. Benning.

Ranger Class 10-67 I think this is the correct number, first time I thought about it in 46 years. Anyway, we did the qualifications around Dec.22 -23 1967, then were given Christmas leave, Started in earnest around the 28th. Go Winter Rangers.

Training Officer and XO, Basic Training Co., Ft Bliss Tx. Apr-Oct 68.

Plt Ldr, D-1-8, 4ID, Nov68-Aug 69 I, like the other 130 men who started in this Company, were the luckiest men on earth, in that we had the finest CO you could ever imagine or wish for- Cpt Ted Ya *****, West Point, Ranger, Third Tour. He took over and was able to staff the Co with four Ranger officers and one Ranger Plt Sgt. He sold Bn on taking the Company off its firebase outside Dak To, and went on permanent patrol for 5 months (less a two week detour to be TOC security during Wayne Grey). I’m convinced this approach saved many lives- we had numerous minor contacts before getting into the heavy stuff and had time to get our sh.. together.

XO, A-1-8, Aug69-Nov69

CO HHT, 1/223 Cav, PANG 70-73 Yeah Armor- wanted to get the reserve commitment over with.

After my tour, I rarely discussed Nam in more than a couple of sentences, if someone else brought it up. I didn’t think much about it either. When my daughters had the assignment to interview a Vet, I would tell them of how lucky I was to serve in D-1-8, and why. And tell them of some of the humorous or ironic incidents that happened to all of us. About 5 years ago my oldest girl said she wanted a bio of my war experiences to read to my grandkids when they were old enough to understand. That got my attention. The effort lead to some soul searching, research,a trip back to Benning, and ultimately reunion with my CO, three fellow platoon leaders, and some of the troops. The search for a fourth brought me here.
RMP-RLTW
Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by RMP-RLTW »

Welcome! Some other FOG will be along shortly to get you squared away.

Ryan
RLTW!
B co.3/75 99-02
OEF Vet
Mala Malis Facimus
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Welcome. There are a quite a few of from your era on this site.

It has been quite some time to try to remember your class number. If I am reading your timeline correctly I don't think your class 10-67 is correct. My class number is 10-68 with my class time starting in Feb 68 with graduation in Apr 68. Class numbers were based on fiscal year not calendar year. From the time frame of late December through the end of February you may have been two or three classes before me. I don't remember if they were starting a new class every three weeks or not at that time.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Welcome, FOG. There are a bunch of us still around. Here is the class pictures at RS.
http://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/rtb/
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Welcome sir!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
FOGofWar

Post by FOGofWar »

Thanks for the welcoming guys.
al-2ndWolfhounds, thank you for the input. I just went to the class pictures list. Only one was posted for '67, not mine, none for 68. Based on the picture file, '65 &'66 each had 10 classes. Counting back from your number, I'd probably be 8-68, although it doesn't sound right. Only records I have is DD214, not my 201, which I've heard you can't get access to. Does anyone know if the Ranger Training Bde maintains complete rosters? The only grads' names I remember both gave the ultimate in Nam.
Possibly as an interim I could post " ~ 8-68 " there's an "approximate" symbol there.
garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by garyedolan »

WELCOME Brother FOGofWar. Thank you for your service and WELCOME HOME!
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Sir.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Interesting, I was talking to a friend tonight, and I decided to look at my diploma. I have a copy of Ranger Tab orders, and, like most, I framed the diploma. I can't find it. Getting old is not for the weak!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
FOGofWar

Post by FOGofWar »

Diploma! I would never have thought of that, but then my first reaction was: "I never even got a diploma" That nagged on me for awhile so went looking. Sure nuff, it was sitting in the corner of the bookshelf where its probably sat for 32 years, still in the original envelope. Has the date- 18 April 1968, but no class number.

Its good to see some 4th ID guys here. We'll have to tell some embellished war stories some time- The Bridges, Mang Yang Pass, Blackhawk and Schuller.......did anyone operate around Dak To or Plei Trap , or just An Khe ?
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

FOGofWar

Post by Steadfast »

FOGofWar wrote:Diploma! I would never have thought of that, but then my first reaction was: "I never even got a diploma" That nagged on me for awhile so went looking. Sure nuff, it was sitting in the corner of the bookshelf where its probably sat for 32 years, still in the original envelope. Has the date- 18 April 1968, but no class number.

Its good to see some 4th ID guys here. We'll have to tell some embellished war stories some time- The Bridges, Mang Yang Pass, Blackhawk and Schuller.......did anyone operate around Dak To or Plei Trap , or just An Khe ?
Welcome Home Brother Ranger & fellow IVYer!
Our paths may have crossed while we (K/Co) often rode between Pleiku & An Khe via Duece & a half - both coming or going at one time or another.
Did one mission (while in 2nd BDE LRRP) on top of Mang Yang Pass & have the pic's to prove it. One pic was Dragon Mountain in the distance.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

FOGofWar wrote:Diploma! I would never have thought of that, but then my first reaction was: "I never even got a diploma" That nagged on me for awhile so went looking. Sure nuff, it was sitting in the corner of the bookshelf where its probably sat for 32 years, still in the original envelope. Has the date- 18 April 1968, but no class number.

My Tab orders are dated 12 April 1968 with a graduation date of 18 April 68, that would make you class 10-68. I have responded to your PM.

Don't worry, all of us FOGs need a little memory help now and then. Looking at my DA-66 it shows my assignment date to RC 10 on 21 Feb 68. As to our class being a winter class I'm not sure, when we took our swim test the first in broke the thin ice in the pool, it snowed on us at Darby and in Dahlonega, many of us were frostbitten from all the damned freezing streams we crossed and in my case traveled down for about a hundred meters before the RI decided to fail the patrol leader on two counts...traveling down a canalization point and not taking proper care of his men.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
FOGofWar

Post by FOGofWar »

After corresponding with Wolfhounds, I am now convinced about class number and have corrected signature. Thanks for all the help.

BTW, that was ME in the stream (as I guess you know Wolfhounds)- the real facts (based on my demonstrated fantastic memory) I took over the patrol and the outgoing patrol leader had no idea where we were. The objective was the top of the hill, so knowing any valley/streambed led to the top, I took us up. Yes the RI was furious after a 100 meters in the cool water, and was going to give me a fail. I went thru my re-orienting strategy, and reminded him of the recent class where they had pointed out that traveling in a stream was a good idea to mask noise in an assault. It wasn't a great score, but a pass.
That's my story, and I'm sticking with it.

FOG

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”