Intro of a Ranger's Grandfather

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
Pete
Egg

Intro of a Ranger's Grandfather

Post by Pete »

Gentlemen,

I've been lurking on this site for over a year as my grandson entered OSUT with the goal of becoming a Ranger. He enlisted without an option 40 contract, proved himself in OSUT, Airborne and graduated in RASP class 03-12.

I registered on the site to gain some knowledge of what he would be going through and need to do. We are very close and I have been a significant part of his life since he entered this world (although I think my only contribution to his success was looking him in the eyes and telling him to "don't fucking quit" as he left for RASP after Christmas exodus). He told me later that he brought up that memory during Cole Range.

He has had one deployment. He starts SURT on April 1st and is scheduled to enter Ranger School April 22nd. Although I think the 4 trips to Columbus GA. (for family weekend and all his graduations) are enough for anyone's lifetime I pray I will make one more on June 21st.

I personally never served but am so proud of that young man and admire all you do or have done.

Thank you,

Pete
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Intro of a Ranger's Grandfather

Post by Jim »

Welcome, Pete.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome Pete
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Welcome Gramps! Get that young Ranger to stop by too.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Welcome, congratulations on having a patriot warrior grandson.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Pete
Egg

Post by Pete »

Well, after being recycled for a concussion after a jump in phase one and a "no go" the first time in mountains I will watch my grandson get his Ranger Tab tomorrow. While he is no 61 day wonder I am proud that he never quit during the 143 days it did take him! He was so pissed about the recycle after Mountains I knew he would never let it go until he finished. Its hard to believe I could actually see more maturing in him, but he is chomping at the bit to get back to 1st Batt and do what he is called on to do.

My proudest moment was receiving a letter in the mail with the 5th Batt Challenge Coin he received from the Sergeant Major after his "go" the second time around in Mountains. I still have to ask him if he truly wants me to have it or did he just send it to me for "safe keeping". The letter just said he wants to talk to me about the experience. Hope to have some alone time with him without the whole fam damily around!

Pete
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Having recycled the mountains myself, I can assure you he earned his tab!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Pete
Egg

Post by Pete »

Ranger GTP,
If pride is one of the seven deadly sins.. so be it. There was ALOT of sinning going on at graduation. I guess 388 started, 100 RANGERS graduated. Grandson said there was 28 from 75th Regiment. Only 25 graduates went straight through. They were the REAL skinny ones.

Ranger Jim,
The recycle in Mountains really toughened him up. Grandson said he didn't get challenge coin on his "go" in Mountains but just when he was Team Leader. Long story that you would understand better than I, but the Sergeant Major just said he "hadn't seen that kind of initiative in a long time" before he shook his hand and left the coin in his palm. (Refer to "pride" note above for my feelings.)

Ranger Wazzle,
He said the DFQ vision came to him a couple of times when he was "droning". I understand droning to be when you keep moving but don't really no why. He had his tabbed cousin from 3rd batt pin him with a couple extra whacks to make sure it stuck. Couldn't have been better timing since they are leaving soon.

This was 5th trip to Benning and every event gets better. "The Rangers in Action" show they put on was fabulous. Anybody reading this that may have the chance to go to graduation fly, drive, walk or crawl... but get there.

Gentlemen, you are awesome.

Pete
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Pete wrote: I guess 388 started, 100 RANGERS graduated. Grandson said there was 28 from 75th Regiment. Only 25 graduates went straight through. They were the REAL skinny ones.
Since the 1950s, the attrition rate has been around 50%.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”