Introduction - SPC MSA35Papa

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
MSA35Papa
Embryo

Introduction - SPC MSA35Papa

Post by MSA35Papa »

Hello Rangers,

My name is MSA35Papa, I am 21 years old and a SPC in the California National Guard. I'm going through an administrative hell with MEPS right now trying to join Active Duty. I actually signed my Ranger Volunteer Statement back in November 2011 when I was doing Arabic Language Training at DLIFLC. I'm a 35P Crypto Arabic Linguist and I was incredibly fortunate enough to get smoked by a SSG from 3rd Ranger Batt during PT, who became a Military Language Instructor at DLI. Basically, since I signed that Ranger Volunteer Statement I've dedicated every day towards becoming a Ranger. I train hard physically and try to prepare myself mentally. I've had quite a few obstacles get in the way of me becoming a Ranger, namely having to do with switching from National Guard to Active Duty Army, but I keep reminding myself that a Ranger isn't one of America's greatest fighting machines simply because he is a monster at PT, he is also someone with incredible resiliency and mental fortitude. I take the challenges as opportunities to develop maturity and control, and I realize that nothing can stop me from accomplishing the ultimate goal, serving as a Ranger in the 75th Ranger Regiment. Thank you Rangers for your service and for this forum. I hope it's okay if I say this but, Rangers Lead the Way. All the Way.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - SPC MSA35Papa

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome MSA35Papa.

Thank you for your continuing service to our country.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

If you have a signed 368, you should have no issues going active duty as a 35P
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
MSA35Papa
Embryo

Post by MSA35Papa »

Ranger goon175, I didn't have any trouble finding a slot, and i do have the 368 (since november 15, 2012) but the process is slow and dragging. Especially with this sequestration. Plus I had PRK and MEPS is making a big deal about. Eh but its alright.

Thank you Ranger Steadfast.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Sequestration should have no effect whatsoever on it. When did you have PRK? You can reference AR 40-501 to see what the minimum wait time is after having the surgery, and if you have past that time, then MEPS should have no reason to make a big deal about it, beyond requiring you to have the med. docs scanned in.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
MSA35Papa
Embryo

Post by MSA35Papa »

Thank you Ranger goon175. I had PRK on July and August of last year and my vision is now perfect with no complications but they HAVE been making a big deal about it but I finally have a tentative date for MEPS which is April 4. I reviewed the PDF for the AR and it seems I meet all the positive criteria so if when I go to MEPS they try to bring some random BS up I'm going have a copy of it with me to refer to. Thank you again Ranger goon175
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

That is a great idea, not many applicants show up quoting the regs! good luck at MEPS!
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

MSA35Papa, You have the critical skills that are needed today. Good luck at MEPS!
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r40_501.pdf

If you have a smartphone, or better yet, iPad. Its on page 8, section 2-12; Eyes, subsection c. Cornea, paragraph (2a~d)

Yer welcome, and good luck with that.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
MSA35Papa
Embryo

Post by MSA35Papa »

Thank you Ranger Jim and Ranger goon 175

Ranger The Sleepy Doc thank you I just bookmarked it on my phone.

I'm going to hopefully have an update for you in 2 weeks!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

MSA35Papa wrote:I'm going to hopefully have an update for you in 2 weeks!
What is the situation with MEPS?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
MSA35Papa
Embryo

Post by MSA35Papa »

Well Ranger Jim, my recruiters have pretty much screwed me over. It's not over, but the wait time has been extended. I went to MEPS on the fourth and found out that the recruiter that I had been working with a month ago, a SFC, sent my packet to the wrong MEPS. So I was at LA MEPS and they had no info on me because the SFC sent my stuff to San Diego. Almost 3 months ago I was told the process was taking forever because LA MEPS needed to review my eye surgery stuff and approve it so I could go in and get a physical. Now the update is that I never even needed a physical because I'm still in the National Guard and my unit has my PULHES which are all ones. This is what I know as of now: The whole San Diego MEPS thing has been fixed and they have my info at LA MEPS now, I DON'T need a physical but my PULHES have to be updated and that takes some time. I'm supposed to be getting a call from the recruiters soon to let me know when I go in to enlist and swear in, that basically means I'll be calling them every week because they'll probably forget to call me.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Not a hard thing to do. If you don't have this resolved within 10 business days, I would start callin' folks.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
MSA35Papa
Embryo

Post by MSA35Papa »

Ranger Goon175, do you know if there's anyone else I should call aside from just my recruiters. I've considered having my platoon Sergeant from my Guard unit communicating with someone from, there but I don't want to overstep any boundaries.

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”