French commando school?

Discuss other country's SOF forces.
CAKEEATER

French commando school?

Post by CAKEEATER »

When my father was living with me I saw an unusal insignia in his "wall mount"(army decorations,sword,etc....) I asked him what it was he said it was from "french commando school." My father never spoke much of his years in the army.The only information I got was from sneaking arround my fathers papers and reading them. So my question is what is "french commando school" and what does it consist of?
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Cooking, baking, learning to run when confronted, and the famous 10 mile retreat while throwing down weapons.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

It consists of planting trees along all the major roadways. They do it very covertly. The reason they plant these trees is because the Germans you see like to march in the shade.
Last edited by SkyShark on May 31st, 2006, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's all good.
CAKEEATER

Post by CAKEEATER »

Hooah "Humble Paratrooper" and Ranger"Abell9".
sounds like my father learned what to not do.
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

It's where the French troops go and learn to pack fudge.

And our troops go to qualify with live, moving, fudge packing targets. :D
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

CAKEEATER wrote:Hooah "Humble Paratrooper" and Ranger"Abell9".
sounds like my father learned what to not do.
Oh for Christs sake.................
It's all good.
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

I went to French Commando School number 7 in November/December 1983 at the French base in Trier Germany.

It’s one month of PT, hand-to-hand and confidence building 20 to 40 meters off the ground on wires with some underground movement and an FTX attached in the end. Also we did a very interesting live fire hip shoot...

Our instructors were senior NCOs that came from the French Foreign Legion. It was a fun vacation and we got a scare badge.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
GIGator
Egg

Re: French commando school?

Post by GIGator »

Basically, it was an abbreviated version of special operations training. We attended as pay of an exchange program. Well, for every 100 GI's, 1 French Soldier stepped up for a little American Army Training, compliments of those boys I green.

The French Foreign Legion Instructors were some hardened, tough, ruthless sum-bitches. They hated the regular French soldiers and set up many competitions between us (A platoon of GI's from all over) and the French dweebs, because they enjoyed watching us kick their asses. It ended after we almost reduced their numbers, after a couple of then snuck in to our barracks and shit all over the place. They had to OD on those shit pills, because, it was everywhere and we were pissed. Top there dismay, they got to clean it up. Nasty, white flag watching, hands-up and weapon on the ground bastards.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: French commando school?

Post by Jim »

GIGator, your initial post should be an introduction. This thread is locked until you post an introduction.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Other Country's Forces”