Current Rucksack

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
Mac308
Egg

Current Rucksack

Post by Mac308 »

As someone who spent a large part of my youth with an ALICE pack on my back, I was curious about the new MOLLE II packs.

I have heard that the packs themselves were good, but the plastic frames were hit-or-miss depending on what generation they were.

I am thinking about getting a new pack, but instead of hearing from all the elite-Internet expert-supercommando-mall ninjas on most search engines, I thought I would ask here. My days of jumping from aircraft are behind, but I am looking for equipment that that could without having to worry about if it is going to fail me when I need it most.

Any information on the current rucksacks that are being used today would be appreciated.

Talks in advance for the help.

Mac
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Current Rucksack

Post by rangertough »

MOLLE anything licks balls. Though I've heard the new "medium ruck" is the trick.

I have a "7 day pack" from Tactical Tailor http://www.tacticaltailor.com/extendedr ... rpack.aspx that got me through a year of traveling across half of Afghanistan pretty much monthly. It's still in great shape.
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

I preferred the ALICE and that's what I used in Batt. We had the MOLLE ones in the big Army & in RS, but I don't know what generation they were or anything like that. The MOLLE ones are huge, but they just seemed overly complicated in a way. All the straps and crap bothered me and the plastic frame just never seemed trusty. I've seen quite a few broken ones, but I never had one break on me. I still use my ALICE pack though and if it shits out on me, I'll just try to find a new one.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

SLEDGE HAMMER wrote:I preferred the ALICE and that's what I used in Batt. We had the MOLLE ones in the big Army & in RS, but I don't know what generation they were or anything like that. The MOLLE ones are huge, but they just seemed overly complicated in a way. All the straps and crap bothered me and the plastic frame just never seemed trusty. I've seen quite a few broken ones, but I never had one break on me. I still use my ALICE pack though and if it shits out on me, I'll just try to find a new one.
Check out the "MALICE" pack frame from http://www.tacticaltailor.com/malicepacks.aspx

Them bastards should start paying me endorsements.
Rangertough
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

rangertough wrote:
SLEDGE HAMMER wrote:I preferred the ALICE and that's what I used in Batt. We had the MOLLE ones in the big Army & in RS, but I don't know what generation they were or anything like that. The MOLLE ones are huge, but they just seemed overly complicated in a way. All the straps and crap bothered me and the plastic frame just never seemed trusty. I've seen quite a few broken ones, but I never had one break on me. I still use my ALICE pack though and if it shits out on me, I'll just try to find a new one.
Check out the "MALICE" pack frame from http://www.tacticaltailor.com/malicepacks.aspx

TT really is great gear and great people. Spent several days with a bunch of them down in Bragg this past Veterans Day at Frankie McCraes range.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

cams wrote:
rangertough wrote:

TT really is great gear and great people. Spent several days with a bunch of them down in Bragg this past Veterans Day at Frankie McCraes range.
I was buying from Logan (RIP brother) when he was just doing Ghillies and ruck mods.
Rangertough
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

TT definitely makes great gear. Most of my pouches were TT I bought in early 2006 for the few months I was stationed at Lewis and used right up until I got out in 2012. Never had an issue with anything. Definitely a great company! That Malice pack looks awesome!
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
fatboy
Ranger

Post by fatboy »

SLEDGE HAMMER wrote:TT definitely makes great gear. Most of my pouches were TT I bought in early 2006 for the few months I was stationed at Lewis and used right up until I got out in 2012. Never had an issue with anything. Definitely a great company! That Malice pack looks awesome!
Agreed on TT making good stuff. I started buying gear from them in 2001 and had enough to outfit every duty position on a fire team at one point. My ruck jumped several times and still is used regularly, and the rest of the gear made it through several tours in the middle east. I still use some items today at work when I'm not broken. Hell, my current duty belt is a custom version of one of theirs. I think we even have a rep from them other than Tough on the site too.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08

Return to “Personal Gear”