Life Proof SmartPhone Case (Junk)

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Life Proof SmartPhone Case (Junk)

Post by cams »

They say its life proof, but mine didn't last a year without falling apart. Junk for what they cost.

Got mine for half price, about $40.00, thankfully didn't pay the full 80.00.

The rubber seal all around the face has completely peeled off and ripped. The plastic threads on the adapter port cover/screw are stripped and the rubber around the 'vibrate/ring' lever is gone exposing it to fluids/moisture inside.

Siskel and Eibert give this case two thumbs down.

A buddy of mine also had one, it failed to be waterproof as advertised and fried his phone, he called their customer service and they were less than helpful. Pretty much said he's SOL.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: Life Proof SmartPhone Case (Junk)

Post by Flesh Thorn »

cams wrote:
A buddy of mine also had one, it failed to be waterproof as advertised and fried his phone, he called their customer service and they were less than helpful. Pretty much said he's SOL.
I am curious about products like this : http://www.liquipel.com/
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
RMP-RLTW
Ranger

Post by RMP-RLTW »

I have had the best luck with otter box products. Is there a warranty for the case?

Ryan
RLTW!
B co.3/75 99-02
OEF Vet
Mala Malis Facimus
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

RMP-RLTW wrote:I have had the best luck with otter box products. Is there a warranty for the case?

Ryan
RLTW!
There was a limited warranty, but only after you make an acct with all pertinents, receipts etc, then you had to watch a video and fill out something else after. Video wouldn't load so it wouldn't verify my purchase. Tried calling customer service several times to ask about the video, received an email about a week later saying they're working on it. After about 3 weeks I gave up trying to communicate with them, still no video.

In an unrelated case, they emailed my buddy and he was told that they would replace the defective case, but not his phone, as if that helps and you'd trust it to another device. No bueno.
Last edited by cams on August 23rd, 2013, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Flesh Thorn wrote:
cams wrote:
I am curious about products like this : http://www.liquipel.com/
Interesting, never heard of this product. Though I'd still prefer something around the phone to protect the screen and body from getting banged to hell. Maybe a combination of this and a decent case would be gtg.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Richard Cranium wrote:I have had absolutely ZERO issues with my otterbox in the last 4 years. I had it replaced for free when a rubber piece wore out, but it was a simple one for one swap.

I'd never heard of lifeproof until my 1SG lost his phone while pulling safety duties at the end of July. Tracked it down on the DZ and phone worked perfectly still....hard to believe they have such a fucked up warranty plan.
Otterbox is made in my hometown. When my dad was doing some work in thier factory he let slip that thier boxes would work great for his son in AFG. They grabbed a 55 gal garbage bag and filled it up with product.

I recieved close to 20 flat rate boxes filled with hardcases of all sizes. Spent a week passing them out to soldiers on the COPS in RC-S.

My phones have been protected by Otterbox ever since.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
RMP-RLTW
Ranger

Post by RMP-RLTW »

rangertough wrote:
Richard Cranium wrote:I have had absolutely ZERO issues with my otterbox in the last 4 years. I had it replaced for free when a rubber piece wore out, but it was a simple one for one swap.

I'd never heard of lifeproof until my 1SG lost his phone while pulling safety duties at the end of July. Tracked it down on the DZ and phone worked perfectly still....hard to believe they have such a fucked up warranty plan.
Otterbox is made in my hometown. When my dad was doing some work in thier factory he let slip that thier boxes would work great for his son in AFG. They grabbed a 55 gal garbage bag and filled it up with product.

I recieved close to 20 flat rate boxes filled with hardcases of all sizes. Spent a week passing them out to soldiers on the COPS in RC-S.

Tough
That is awesome!

Ryan
RLTW!
B co.3/75 99-02
OEF Vet
Mala Malis Facimus
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

RMP-RLTW wrote:
rangertough wrote:

Tough
That is awesome!

Ryan
RLTW!
Yes it is. Looks like I'll be giving them some business here. Thanks for that.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

RMP-RLTW
Ranger

Post by RMP-RLTW »

cams wrote:
RMP-RLTW wrote:
rangertough wrote: Otterbox is made in my hometown. When my dad was doing some work in thier factory he let slip that thier boxes would work great for his son in AFG. They grabbed a 55 gal garbage bag and filled it up with product.

Tough
That is awesome!

Ryan
RLTW!
For what it's worth, when I got my iPhone I immediately bought a defender case for it. About two weeks later I accidentally kicked it (hard) into a concrete pillar. It was a complete accident and really not worth the explanation but needless to say, the phone was perfectly fine and I absolutely expected it to be destroyed. Does nothing for water but I am convinced it will hold up to anything you can throw at it, outside of a bath.

Ryan
RLTW!
B co.3/75 99-02
OEF Vet
Mala Malis Facimus
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

RMP-RLTW wrote:
cams wrote:
RMP-RLTW wrote: That is awesome!

Ryan
RLTW!
For what it's worth, when I got my iPhone I immediately bought a defender case for it. About two weeks later I accidentally kicked it (hard) into a concrete pillar. It was a complete accident and really not worth the explanation but needless to say, the phone was perfectly fine and I absolutely expected it to be destroyed. Does nothing for water but I am convinced it will hold up to anything you can throw at it, outside of a bath.

Ryan
RLTW!

If you're really sweating your phone getting wet a zip-lock backed up by 100mph tape works the best (or a GP otterbox case). :lol:

Tough
Rangertough
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Richard Cranium wrote:I have a gov't model Otterbox on my iPhone 5.....water proof I think up to 15 m for 15 min, dustproof, and can withstand 2,000lbs of pressure. They improved on it by having it closed with a clasp system so that you can take it out easily if need be. Worth the $100 cost.

Model name or number if you got it please.

Tough
Rangertough
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Richard Cranium wrote:
rangertough wrote:
Richard Cranium wrote:I have a gov't model Otterbox on my iPhone 5.....water proof I think up to 15 m for 15 min, dustproof, and can withstand 2,000lbs of pressure. They improved on it by having it closed with a clasp system so that you can take it out easily if need be. Worth the $100 cost.

Model name or number if you got it please.

Tough

Its the Armor series. Can't find anything on the case itself, so I don't know if there is any other model in the Armor series. Found this little video on it on the Otterbox site. I was wrong about the waterproof specs; it is actually waterproof for 30 min in 6.6 ft.

http://www.otterbox.com/armor-series/ar ... lt,pg.html

THX

Tough
Rangertough

Return to “Personal Gear”