Assault Pack recomendations...

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
MAO12A
Embryo

Assault Pack recomendations...

Post by MAO12A »

I am in need of a new assault pack. The issue one is fine, but doesn't really hold enough. I purchased a Camelbak BFM about 4 years ago, which has great organization, but I have trouble packing it out for a couple days in the field/range days etc. The problem is all of the organizational functions seem to eat up the space to where it is hard to pack larger items in.

I would like some recommendations. What I am looking for:
-Good organization: I like a bit of an admin pocket (or at least a smaller pocket for pens, highlighters, small notebook, etc). Some decent pockets to hold eyepro in cases, small electronics, etc. A reasonable main compartment that could hold boots, a set of ACU's and still have some room left over for seasonal supplies like ww gear, fleece, etc.
-Solid shoulder/back support: I like the idea of a form fitted/padded back. An internal frame might be nice, but definitely no completely needed. Adjustability in shoulder strap placement can be nice. A removable waist belt is nice as well.
-Durability is a must
-Under $300 would be nice

I have looked at the 5.11 Rush 72, Eberlestock Halftrack, and the Tactical Tailor Three-day Plus pack. I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations. I know this seems like a silly purchase, but I have found my BFM to be invaluable in maintaining organization in the field.
12A
USAR
Current PL/AGR for an Horizontal Engineer Company
Served as a 74D as an enlisted Soldier Prior to commissioning
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: Assault Pack recomendations...

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Check out Kifaru. They are pricey, but bullet proof.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

IMO anything too heavy/large that is padded or without a frame, will constantly rub on your back and also not allow your skin to breath and dry from sweat. Could cause serious heat rash and lead to scabies or worse in the field.

Now remember I'm older and gear has changed a lot, but back in the day with the old Extra Large AP, if we got caught with padding stuffed in the frame we'd catch hell from the medics just for those reasons.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
MAO12A
Embryo

Post by MAO12A »

Ranger Flesh Thorn....Thank you for the recommendation. There is one pack that they have that I am considering. Is the price really worth it? it seems to be high quality but still potentially missing some organization and adjustability....but I might be wrong. I need to find a good video review of it.

Ranger Cam....that is why I like back panels like the Eberlestock packs. They have a vented back. I wish I could get away with something like the Malice Pack for a ruck as opposed to the current standard issue one.....I don't find the plastic frame to be as supportive under heavy loads and I can't seem to get the shoulder straps into the right position. I liked the airflow and load bearing capability of the old Alice frame.
12A
USAR
Current PL/AGR for an Horizontal Engineer Company
Served as a 74D as an enlisted Soldier Prior to commissioning
Ndog275
Ranger

Post by Ndog275 »

I highly recommend Tactical Tailor, but I am biased...lol
A 1/75 93-97
B&HHC 2/75 97-99
RS 3,4&5-95

This mighty soldier on the eve of the war he waged
Told his troops of lessons learned from battles fought.
"May your heart grow bolder like an iron-clad brigade"
Said this leader to his outnumbered lot.

www.75thrra.com
www.tacticaltailor.com

Return to “Personal Gear”