V-42

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: V-42

Post by K.Ingraham »

The originals are extremely valuable collector's items and have not been issued since WW2.

Rangers prefer much more practical blades that can more readily do all the things a field soldier needs a knife for like cutting line or opening boxes - in short, a knife is a useful tool. The knives that serve those purposes can also be used to hurt someone if need be, after all, we keep them sharp.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Buzz
Ranger

Post by Buzz »

http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic. ... lit=knives" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are several useful ideas in this thread.
2nd squad-1st plt-C 2/75 77-78
RS 4-78

The way I became a Ranger and have earned the small amount of success I have had in life has been mostly due to one quality - determination. Lefty.
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Been carryin' a icepick for 32 years! :wink: 8)
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Do 50 for misspelling my name. "attention to detail"

Don't bother with the Randall either. While those high-end custom knives can cut you out of a C-17 crash, build tall buildings and figure your income tax, there's something I can do with my $20 glock knives or sporting goods store blades that you can never do: Throw it away. I can lose it on a jump or in a swamp and I won't cry. Try that with a Randall!

Even better is the fact that the army will loan you a knife, free. If you lose it they will give you another. Way cool!

Come the day, you'll also notice that 99.9% of your knife use will be that boy scout knife or multi-tool. Invest accordingly.

Save that repro V42, it'll make a good centerpiece for your "I love me" display someday.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Listen up real quick stud, when you refer to our Regiment, a place that we will hold dear to our hearts until death, capitilize the word.

When you are speaking to, or making reference to, Rangers, Special Forces or any military counterparts, do not refer to them as "you guys" or "guys". Please use the title that they have earned, as you have not yet earned that familiarity. Carry on.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

For a fixed blade, I'd rather have a 1918 trench knife than most modern knives.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Knives are like women in several ways:
1) It is a very personal preference
2) Most dudes keep several depending upon the job needed to be done.
3) There isn't one that it good for every task all the time
4) When you get a favorite, you never really want to replace it no matter how old or busted.
5) The "Trophy" ones aren't really good for anything other than lookin' pretty
6) Conversely, the plain utility ones will take a shit load of abuse and keep coming back for more, the wear just making them better.

(now that I think of it, that topic would make a great thread.. but I digress..)

You see the point? (Ha Ha! Get it? knives? Point?..) Anyway, yes the Randall was an issue item at one time, but so was the Ek knife. From what I understand, one of the most coveted fighting knives in WWII was something that the country boys would bring on their own. It was a plain double edged blade with a wooden handle and very little or no hand guard. they were known as "PIG STICKERS" because their original use was to bleed pigs at slaughter. It was a low carbon steel blade so it wasn't brittle and it could be made razor sharp quickly. I think Ek makes a repro here; http://www.fightingknives.info/Collecti ... fault.aspx

Thankfully, I never had to test my choices in anger, but I used to carry several;

1) multi tool like Leatherman, or Gerber
2) Plain folder, like a buck or opinel
3) "Scout" style swiss army knife
4) Sheeps -foot, folding spyder co. rescue knife
and last, but not least..
5) plain old WWII style Ka-Bar

As you can see, the possibilities are endless.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

V-42

Post by IEDmagnet »

Kershaw or Benchmade. I carried one of each while deployed, and now carry them in uniform at work.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

I just carried the cheapest knife I could find/steal/"borrow" after 6 months of losing or fucking up 3 different 100 dollar knives I found this shitty folder that stayed sharp and was too ugly for anyone to steal.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister

Return to “Personal Gear”