Post by Spartan »

vrsca wrote:He cant heeeear you :cry:
He can hear it, he just can't reply to it. :wink:
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Re: Edit

Post by CloakAndDagger »

S.Plavney wrote:A'stan Jump: 1/505th 82nd, Operation Mountain Lion

Also possibly 504th, not too sure, waiting on confirmation from a buddy....
No jumps for the 82d during Mtn Lion...I was there. TF Panther started showing up to replace TF Rakkasan (of the 101st) around July 2002. Mtn Lion was the overall operation that started when 10th Mountain Div arrived in Afghanistan (or maybe slightly earlier while still in Uzbekistan) and terminated when 10th Div HQ went home 1-2 September 2002.

TF Panther was hoo-ah to get a jump in A-stan, but the locations of the enemy dictated otherwise.

Most of the operations involving US Troops in A-Stan where Air Assault ("helo ops" for newbies). I know for sure that elements of 3/75 jumped into Kabul Int'l Airport earlier in the campaign (I later ran into a Ranger who I had gone to High School with who jumped into Kabul), and I think, but am not 100% sure, that 3/75 also jumped into Kandahar.

Both those jumps would have been before I arrived (April 2002).
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

Ranger Lugnuttz corrected me on the Ranger jumps...I think I put together my high school buddy's story wrong, my bad. 3/75 still had two jumps, but Kabul wasn't one of them. I'll defer to Ranger Lugnuttz or another Ranger from 3/75 to clear up the details on those jumps.
Madslasher

Post by Madslasher »

There's a group of guys at Ft. Lewis and Ft. Bragg who would beg to differ with the assumption that 'all the jumps since 9/11 were 3/75 or 173rd.'
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: USMC Combat HAHO

Post by Steadfast »

Southoftheborder wrote:OK. A little background info to this story.

The team is seriously stacked as there are at least two E-8s onboard (1st Sgt and a MSgt). One of these guys worked at MFF school as an instructor. I think the article says the lowest ranking Marine is a SSgt (E-6). The reason of the jump appears to be more to do the jump itself, versus using it as an insert method. But hey, I have no room to point fingers, as I probably would have taken advantage of the CO's approval to do the same thing.

The article alludes to these guys providing DZ support for a follow-on drop of Marines from 2 CH-46s (kinda like CH-47s but smaller and older). I'm not sure if the second wave jumped or landed.

Anyway, the cool thing is they did it, and the even more interesting thing is that it was a racoon battation versus a FR team. Apparently this Recon battallion not only has MFF capability (albiet just getting onboard) and squares for static line as well.)

OK, here it is:

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000. ... enDocument
sotb,

The link you provided was about the 1st Marine Division. Do you have any more links regarding the 3rd Marine Division & including FR? I would be very interested in reading the subject matter of combat jumps performed and how often combat jump happened.

Steadfast
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: USMC Combat HAHO

Post by Steadfast »

Southoftheborder wrote:
Steadfast wrote:....The link you provided was about the 1st Marine Division. Do you have any more links regarding the 3rd Marine Division & including FR? I would be very interested in reading the subject matter of combat jumps performed and how often combat jump happened....
SF,

All that I have been able to find are the following sites. I know that more exists, but I am apparently not keying in the right wording to find the info.

The first website is one where there are several links to other areas, but it does have 3-4 pics of the guys that were making that first Vietnam combat jump (1st Recon Bn/14 June, 1966).

http://www.100megsfree2.com/jjscherr/ja ... acques.htm

The second is in reference to some comments I have heard that SSgt Howards patrol was also supplying wind/weather info for the first jump (I had thought earlier that it was in support of the second). I have NOT been able to refind that info or anything which would back it up, but I'll keep trying. Anyway, it became one of the Corps' most famous battles and resulted in that patrol being named one of (if the the most) decorated patrols in US mil history.

http://www.forcerecon.com/howardje.htm

I'm not too motivated about putting this info referring to the second jump as it is not at all positive. I could care less if it speaks poorly of the unit, but it also questions one of the men assigned to the jump. Nonetheless, it is a story that has been repeated on more than one occasion and it is also a site with one of the most complete accounts of that jump.

http://www.pownetwork.org/bios/l/l011.htm

I can't find anything about the final jump or even who made it.

Here is a link to a 3rd Recon Bn website. I could not find one for 3rd Force Recon.

http://www.3rdrecon.org/index2.htm

I thank you sotb for the above info. I have emailed commcomander of 3rd force recon with the info I wish to discuss. If you wish, I would be glad to send you a copy of the email I sent. I have taken the time to read everything on each and every link you posted. This is why I have not posted back to you sooner. Thanks sotb.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
remerson175
Ranger

Post by remerson175 »

Spitfire wrote:Didnt the 101st mass jump and occupy an airstrip outside of baghdad? I remember reading that on CNN a while back, said roughly 1000 of them took part in the assault.

The 101st is not an Airborne division. Although there are units within the 101st which do jump, their LRS detachment and the Pathfinder unit, they did not conduct a combat jump. The 173rd was reciently authorized the award and the only other units whch have made combat jumps over there I believe are with Regiment
Hard Rock Charlie 1/75 88-91
18th ABC LRSC TM 2-1 91-93
25th ID(L)-1/27 Scouts, G3 AIR DZSO 93-96 & 00-03
5th RTB 97-00 & 03-05
Brain reconfigured to the Dark Side 05'
PL/XO 1-503(ABN) 173D ABCT 06-08
Merrill's Platoon Leader 4th RTB 08-09
HHC XO, 4th RTB presently

RC 11-90

Don't piss me off, I will retire!
Smiddy
Ranger

Post by Smiddy »

Spitfire wrote:173rd mass jumped into Kandahar, Afghanistan.

Im not sure if the 82nd did or not, and im not confusing the 173rd with the 82nd or 101st. Looks like the 173rd and 82nd jumped in Afghanistan and the 101st and 173rd jumped in Iraq.
Spitfire check your facts. 173rd jumped into Irbil, Iraq. Not Afganistan.

101st is an Air Assault/Airmobile unit. They have not been Airborne for 30 some years. They do however retain the name.

Do not confuse units conducting static line proficiency jumps in theatre (like the 82d did) with a combat jump.

I'm not trying to browbeat you, but someone has fed you the wriong info.
"NEVER WITHOUT HONOR"

C Co, 1/75; 92-00...HHC, 1/75; 00-02
DirtyM
Ranger

Post by DirtyM »

B/3-504 conducted an airborne assault in Afghanistan 25 Feb '03. Recently ( a few months ago(?)) they received orders for this.

dont want to overstep my bounds, but there are other units in Ranger Regt that have finally received recognition for participating in abn asslts in as well.
RS Class 7-92
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

DirtyM,
You are correct. This thread is kind of old and began before the 3-504 thing was public.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Smiddy wrote:
Spitfire wrote: Do not confuse units conducting static line proficiency jumps in theatre (like the 82d did) with a combat jump.

I was on the Jump into AL asad Iraq with 3-504. It was a "show of force" jump. Now here is the confuseing part. The Jump in Afghanistan that 3-504 conducted was no different in concept or execution than the one in Iraq. However it was conducted by under another MACOM. So stars were awarded for one and not the other.

So the question is what is a combat jump? I have always understood that it was diffined by a airborne assult during an initial entry mission IE. Normandy, holland, Panama, not a mission where the country has allready been occupied. I could be wrong. But I am sure in this crowd I will know about it soon.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
madslashers1-2
Ranger

jumps

Post by madslashers1-2 »

Members of 2/75 have a combat jump, its not speculation, they are wearing the fucking stars.
1st Plt, C Co. 2/75, OCT 02/JUN 06, (RS 09-04)
160th LRS-D, JUN 06/SEP 08
1106th TASMG, SEP 08/MAY 10
Joined the Darkside
A Co. 1/185 AR, MAY 10/Present

Return to “Airborne Operations”