Skydiving out of Ohio...

Entering the area of operations: Static Line and HALO Airborne Operations
RafterMan
Tadpole

Post by RafterMan »

deleon275 wrote:I make a good impression of the sound made when a ranger with 160lbs of gear lands. Goes something like "hugghgnrhrhrhrlrnrnrnnngghhguhgg". Thats the sound of your organs impacting together and the sound escaping your asshole, mouth, ears, and nose.

:lol:
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Entering the area of operations: Static Line and HALO Airborne Operations
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
IRONS
Ranger

jump

Post by IRONS »

Jumping sucks, But Id do it again if I could. I really don't know why.
3/75 ACO "GLORY BOYS" 99-02
blueskiesalways
Ranger Mom

Post by blueskiesalways »

Just a little info...
I hold a USPA "D" (Master) Licence..I was also a licensed Jumpmaster and AFF (Acceleraled FreeFall) instructor...(no longer teach)
My first 100 jumps were with T-10'S and 22' Lopo's...That was a number requirement back then before you could graduate to "square" parachute.
The equipment weighed approx. 70lbs...and you landed just about the same as jumping of the roof of a house!!!..The steering was brutal and if the winds came up you better know how to ride a bike backwards!!!
My equipment today weighs a total of 21Lbs including the reserve, I can do a 360 degree turn in 1.5 seconds and the parachute has a 30 mph forward speed...You can land barefoot without so much as a "sting"....We no longer put students out on round parachutes, the theory being that while round parachute open properly more consistanly than squares, the injury rates on landing were very high....In addition very few (if any)sport places even offer static line jumps anymore...SO DON'T BOTHER!!!...You are trying to compare apples and oranges.
Mom - One former 1/75 Ranger warrior......One current 3/75 Ranger warrior
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

blueskiesalways wrote:Just a little info...
The equipment weighed approx. 70lbs...and you landed just about the same as jumping of the roof of a house!!!..The steering was brutal and if the winds came up you better know how to ride a bike backwards!!!
Add a rifle, a 110 pound ruck and a 30 pound LBV and then come talk to me about it
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
blueskiesalways
Ranger Mom

:shock: I can't even imagine!!!...I had to stagger to the plane as it was with only the 70lbs...
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

DAMN IT LOOKS LIKE I MISSED OUT ON THE FUN AGAIN, WTF? :twisted:
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Er..this lady has more jumps than most of us!
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

So... How many times have you exited a perfectly good aircraft while in flight, BlueSkies?
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Kilted Heathen wrote:Er..this lady has more jumps than most of us!
I guess it is all in how you look at it then, because I know I dont have any jumps that count
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Me and a couple other RIs were shooting the shit about how many jumps we all had at Ranger Rendezvous in 92 when a crusty old fucker from the Airborne Test Platoon hobbled up and said "fuck,I only remember three...Sicily,Normandy and Holland!" then called us a bunch of pussies and hobbled away. :D
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
blueskiesalways
Ranger Mom

Spartan wrote:So... How many times have you exited a perfectly good aircraft while in flight, BlueSkies?
Ranger Spartan, I have a little over 1000 jumps. It just happened to catch my attention that the topic starter wanted to get a feel for military jumps. Sport skydiving will in no way help him in that endeaver.
I started jumping in England and actually moved to the USA (Zepherhills, Florida) when I found out that they were allowing students to jump round parachutes with less than 100 jumps :shock: (I had about 50 at the time)..That was in 1981...After a number of years as a skydiving "bum" I eventually ended up teaching at Marana Skydiving Center, at Pinal Air park Arizona. Recieving both my Jumpmaster rating and my AFF Rating...Also during that time I have the pleasure of making some "fun" jumps with your Army Golden Knights. They were there for the Collegiate Nationals..Great Skydivers..KOOOOL FUN GUY'S.
I also had the opportunity to make a few jumps from C130's Etc. It was an interesting time at that facility around 1985/86...I also had the pleasure of being thrown in jail for the night with a couple of Air Force Pilots( milk & cookies guys!!!) after we demonstrated our capacity for excessive on the town partying :oops: Unfortunately this incident got them flown out the next day..and Grounded I do believe. One's name was "Danny"...Anyway, since then...I've "growed up" Married twice, LOL, AND RAISED SOME FINE KIDS!!!!..My Ranger son used to sit on a phone book next to the pilot while I put out the students!!!...
Hope I didn't offend anyone by posting in this thread..I just wanted to say, that in part, due todays teaching methods and equipment..Military jumps and sport jumps cannot be compared...
blueskiesalways
Ranger Mom

Ranger Horned Toad...Not sure if the PM I sent got to you..Doesn't show as sent in my "sent box"..Just in case it didn't..PLZ PM me...You live very close to me...We would love to get together with you and buy you a beer!!!....I promise we won't get arrested!!! (I think)...They have a Great American Legion down the road..Good place to share stories...

Return to “Airborne Operations”