Skydiving out of Ohio...

Entering the area of operations: Static Line and HALO Airborne Operations
psxdns

Skydiving out of Ohio...

Post by psxdns »

I know we have a bunch of Ohioans here :), including Rangers, and was wondering if you had any recommendations on where to go for skydiving around here. You know, to get the feel of what it's actually like - the more prepared, the better.

Thanks,

Eric
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Sky diving is like HALO not like static line jumping. Rangers jump static line. 800-1000ft. That is it man. Only 1 platoon jumps HALO.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
psxdns

Post by psxdns »

Thanks Ranger H8train, but all static line jumping is, is basically hooking up and jumping, and the chute opens automatically.. (right? I mean, I searched the forums, and besides the minor details, thats what it seems to be) I have heard talk of some civilian places that do static line jumps, but from what I hear, they do it at a higher altitude than what you just said (3000-4000ft, probably due to commercial regulations or something.. but thats another story).

I guess my biggest concern is the jumping part - static line or not (hell, I'd even prefer static line), once I get the feel of actually jumping and the descent/landing, that would be enough to satisfy future contemplation..

And since im not going to be doing anything for my 18th (20040628), why not? :)

Thanks again,

Eric
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

There is no way to experience it. Military parachuting is alot different than civilain, even their static line jumps. No one outside the military is stupid enough to jump our parachutes. If you want to experience the fall jump off a 22 foot wall. With a 120 pounds strapped to you. That is what jumping in Ranger Batt is like.
Last edited by Parabellum on June 18th, 2004, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
psxdns

Post by psxdns »

Thanks Ranger sobersides and Ranger H8train, I will take those words into serious consideration - if it would hurt my knowledge on jumping (as you explained), then regardless of the other aspects, I guess it would just be better to wait.

Speaking for possible future actions, what if I was to find a place that would use T-10s by request - would this be a good thing to do (it's still civilian, but it's the same chute, so the only determining factor that might change your answer would be @ what altitude we would jump at - would that matter)?

Though Ranger H8train's 22ft wall sounds awful tempting :P.

Thanks,

Eric
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Dude, you never "get used" to military jumping.......like what's been said.

Military jumping is falling out of a bird with a ton of shit strapped to you, in the dead of night.........
psxdns

Post by psxdns »

That's completely understandable, Ranger BadMuther. But breaking the barrier of actually jumping would have it's benefits..

Eric
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

psxdns wrote:That's completely understandable, Ranger BadMuther. But breaking the barrier of actually jumping would have it's benefits..

Eric
Dude, you are speaking from a position of ignorance...it sounds cool now, but you could jump a hundred times and it wouldn't compare or prepare you for your first REAL military jump.....(I don't think airborne school even counts!)

You have to realize that you have so much stuff strapped to you that it is a feat in itself just to standup and walk (hobble?) to the door.....no civie jumping will prepare you for that.

You want to do that kind of preparing for life in the military? Go outside with what you have on now.....smoke yourself to the best of your ability......every hour, have someone spray you down with a waterhose......bring 3 pop tarts, cuz that's all you get to eat for 3 days.......stay there 3 days, and see how well you sleep with no food, and being wet and tired.

Some shit you just have to do, you can't prepare for it.
psxdns

Post by psxdns »

I have heard of a similar example like the one you just posted, Ranger BadMuther, and coming from you, it's more believable (and I do believe it). Thanks for the tips on Airborne, I guess the only thing to do is experience it first hand, then :).
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

The other issue is civilians are fucking dangerous; they are a bunch of fucksticks that make a big deal out of jumping and the rush. Whoop de do. I jumped once with civilians after I got out, never again
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
knightcat
Ranger

Post by knightcat »

psxdns wrote:I have heard of a similar example like the one you just posted, Ranger BadMuther, and coming from you, it's more believable (and I do believe it). Thanks for the tips on Airborne, I guess the only thing to do is experience it first hand, then :).
probably a good idea......I just finished Airborne school today and I know that I will have a different perception of jumps when I get to do my first real jump.

Airborne school jumps are a blast, but I am sure that a real jump is more on the lines of a job rather than something you would do in your spare time. So don't go jumping from any civilian planes and think you are ready because I have done both and I know my first real jump will be like throwing a cinder block out of a 4 story building......yes it will hurt!

Knightcat out
You better pack a lunch......because I'll be hungry when I'm done beating your ass!!

RS class 05-06
28JUNE2005- R.I.P. brothers 146
C-1 Madslashers 2/75 (Sept. '04- Nov. '07)
RIP Sarn't Mac.....
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

knightcat wrote:
psxdns wrote:......I just finished Airborne school today...
Knightcat out
Congratulations on your accomplishement!!!
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
deleon275
Ranger

Post by deleon275 »

I make a good impression of the sound made when a ranger with 160lbs of gear lands. Goes something like "hugghgnrhrhrhrlrnrnrnnngghhguhgg". Thats the sound of your organs impacting together and the sound escaping your asshole, mouth, ears, and nose.
"When you look at this final agreement that we came to with the White House, I got 98 percent of what I wanted. I’m pretty happy." John Boehner

''If we took away the minimum wage — if conceivably it was gone — we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level.''

Return to “Airborne Operations”