Ranger Jump Into Panama

Entering the area of operations: Static Line and HALO Airborne Operations
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

How about the 82nd in Panama.....?
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Into Torrijos-Tocumen? Don't know if they got the stains on that one. I would assume so.
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Panama

Post by SkyShark »

Don't know if it is true or not but I was told by several guys in my old unit and also one Ranger, that there was actually a firefight between a platoon from 3rd batt and some guys from the 504th in Panama. There were no injuries so I am told it only lasted about 2 mikes before everyone realized the situation. Any of you Rangers heard anything like this? I didn't believe it at first when I heard it from the guys at Bragg, but then 5 years later I ran into a local recruiter ho was in third Batt and jumped into Panama. When I told him I was with the 504th he told me the same story. Just curious.
It's all good.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Kind of like the deal about 7th Light having a mad minute over at Rio Hato.
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Had a Plt Sgt from the 7th who was there in Panama. People used to give him SO much shit for 'shooting down a Littlebird'. I never actually heard the straight story, and I don't think anyone in my platoon did either. It was just one of those funny things about him that seemed to stick. It wasn't about him, per se, but had to do with his unit. Probably something similar to what you're referring to, Ranger Spartan.
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Story

Post by SkyShark »

Another "story" about Panama that I heard was, I can't remember if this was the Rangers or the 82nd but, when they were on the perimiter of Noriega's "palace" and the call was finally given to breach the area to search the house the front gate area was very fortified, and there were not any combat engineers around so a 1sg told a Dragon Gunner to use his Dragon to breach the solid wood gate? Any of you ever heard any truth to this? I was also told the 1sg kind a got an ass chewing for it.
It's all good.
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

As best as I know the history, 'other' people cleared/searched his house; and I know they never lack for breachers.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

After the 7th relieved us in place on Rio Hato and we were finally allowed to catch some Zs, one of those idiots opened fire and the rest of those idiots opened fire. All the way around the airfield.

The only reason I was able to sleep was because Spectre was circling overhead shooting at actual targets. The 7th would shoot if a leaf moved.

Idiots!!
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

I saw that little bird of a flat bed trailer, it was smashed flat.

I heard it was a 4th Id guy with a 50 cal on a apc. Back then the regular Army didnt know about them. Unmarked black helocopter. He didnt know what it was, so he shot it down.

That is the story I was told by the C.O. of Bco 3/75.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Kind of like the deal about 7th Light having a mad minute over at Rio Hato.
Hadn't heard about that one...Knew a 7thidiot who was in Panama.....he would joke that they had like 7 kia's all friednly fire......maroons

Some people get all touchy feely about the 7th ID/9th Regt. manchus....When they moved to Lewis (Bringing their gang problem with them) I had the displeasure of working around them.....idiots is all I can say.

They ran EIB in 94.....I took a GPS with me on the compass course...(You ain't cheating, you ain't trying, right? :wink: ) I remember a Lt. colonel coming up to me on practice...."Where you at soldier?" "Right HERE Sir. (pointing on the map.)" "No, rethink that one soldier"........"Yes, Sir" as I watch him walk towards the next point in the completely wrong direction.

EIB test comes, and NO ONE, not ONE SINGLE person can find this certain point........we all claimed it didn't exist...they swore it did, saying that they put it in with a GPS.....I wanted to yell at them, "I gotta fucking GPS too, and it ain't there fuckers", but that would kind of disqualify me.

Sooooo.......turns out after EIB is over, and NO ONE who had that point passed, that 9th Regt. finally admits that the post was in the wrong place......anybody get to do a new course? Nope.

I have tons of 9th Regt. idiot stories.......Our LRS unit was going through EIB with 7th idiots....it's summer, it's warm...long story short.....9th Regt 1sg throws a fucking fit when one of our privates refills his canteen from a water buffalo...even though we were told 7th would provide water.......The 1sg was "allegedly" former Delta...he's screaming at us, and he's like, "You bring your own fucking water to last all week, and if your 1sg has a problem with it, he can come down and I'll take him behind closed doors"..........

Slight problem......our "1sg" had recently been promoted to CSM......He had a month to wait for his next assignment...instead of going to our leg HQ's unit, he stayed on as the 1sg.......soooo, are 1sg goes down there...I would have loved to have been a fly on that wall.....Next day, the 7th 1sg comes up to us all kissing ass...."How are you boys doing?"..."Can I get you anything?"..."Do you have enough water and chow? Anything you need, please let me know."......hehehehehehhee

As for the 82nd in Panama, I have heard repeatedly that they were told the DZ was secured, and that they could airlandocommando...but I guess after Grenada they felt cheated, and jumped anyway.

I heard from a bunch of 2nd Batt guys about the 82nd getting into firefights with each other on the DZ.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

On Christmas day my plt went to the city of David to take an arms warehouse. Once again the 7th Id came to rescue us. :roll: Relieve us in place, I mean.

I was a pfc 60 gunner. As everyone knows, that is a E-5 position in the rest of the Army.

The 7th ID E-5 came up to me and I lined him out on my gun position. Field of fire and so forth.

I then told him that I also had a claymore mine set up 50 meters to the front.

He then looked at me real confused and embarassed and asked me( him a SGT and me a PFC) if I would show him how to work the claymore.

That is a very good example of why RANGERS DO, AND WILL ALWAYS LEAD THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

too funny Luna....
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Well, it's not their fault - their primary responsibilities and proficencies revolve around police call, unit and post beautifcation duties, range maintenance and occassionally they'll throw in some infantry training to break things up. :roll:
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

A buddy of mine was a 9th Regt. "Manchu"...he said they actually did a lot of humping and field work...

It's just that dumb ass leg mentality that the 7th takes to the extreme.... :roll:

Return to “Airborne Operations”