Gulf War Transport & communications

Moving in and around an area of operations. Helicopters, Bikes, RSOVs, Zodiac's, etc...
bones1931
Embryo

Gulf War Transport & communications

Post by bones1931 »

Howdy Rangers!
First of all I want to thank you for protecting me and mine. We surely appreciate it.
My questions have to do with Desert Storm-era Rangers. Were the M151 gun jeeps used extensively during that time, or did you use the humvee?
Would dirt-bikes have been used on combat patrol/recon missions?
Lastly, did you have intra-squad radios, and would you have used them during tactical operations (i.e. ambushes), or hand signals?
Sorry to throw so much at you, but I'm writing a novel that includes a character that served during that period, and I'm trying to be as accurate as possible.

Thank you!
Boattail173
Ranger

Post by Boattail173 »

Some of that stuff cannot/will not be answered on a public forum
Last edited by Boattail173 on September 11th, 2003, 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bones1931
Embryo

Opsec re: Gulf War I

Post by bones1931 »

I know that Ranger missions are still classified from Desert Shield/Desert Storm. Any information that doesn't violate opsec regarding the subjects I mentioned would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to keep my natural tendency to b.s. to a minimum.

Thanks!
Boattail173
Ranger

Post by Boattail173 »

Novels are 100% pure bs. The problem that you are going to have is:

NO ONE KNOWS WHO YOU ARE!!!

If you are serious about writing a novel get in contact with a technical advisor or contact DOD for information. Just posting "...I am writing a novel..." will not get the information you require.

RLTW
bones1931
Embryo

Post by bones1931 »

Understood.
Could you at least tell me if Rangers might have worked in squad sized operations, similar to the SAS scud hunting missions? My apologies if this is leading to a different forum.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Or, we could just BS you to death saying that 'They worked in Division sized elements' or that 'They worked in fire teams and used their still top-secret hovercraft'.

Who really cares? If it's a novel just engage your imagination and get to it. Or, hire a technical advisor and accept their guidance.
bones1931
Embryo

Clearance for BS

Post by bones1931 »

Alright, I just don't want a bunch of pissed off Rangers showing up at my book signings and beating the crap out of me for "inaccuracies" when this thing goes international best seller.
I'm still gonna bug you guys for info. I think your BS might have more kernels of truth in it than mine.

Return to “Ranger Transportation”