The most widely used Ranger transpo is......................

Moving in and around an area of operations. Helicopters, Bikes, RSOVs, Zodiac's, etc...
1st Ranger

The most widely used Ranger transpo is......................

Post by 1st Ranger »

..I'm guessing that most of you are thinking something along the lines of a C-130, a Blackhawk, RSOVs, or, for you old timers, the good old Huey. And some of you more quick witted Rangers are loudly, and proudly, exclaiming "Our FEET!" But the truth is, as un-glamerous as it is to admit, The most widely used meathod of transpo used by Rangers is the good old 5-ton truck. I've come to believe that Rangers spend more time in these God awful things that their own cars. All you 1st Bn Rangers know exactly what I'm talking about. We've spent so much time in them damn things that we have come up with some pretty good meathods of passing the time. I have personally gone from the standard singing of Ranger songs to hangin from the rafters, to giving IVs to fellow smoked cherries. I've pissed out of them, almost fallen out of them, "jumped" from them (when the weather was too bad for an actual jump - also known as the "rotary wheel insertion meathod") to pushing the damn things for Bn PT. I have seen them turn most potentially bad-ass iteration of Rotary Wing Bilats into total BS because the birds couldn't fly and we had to ride them in.

I know all you veterans have some pretty good 5-ton stories, so, lets hear 'em.
I'll try to post my own stories when I get more time.

1st Ranger

*****Bonus goes to the Ranger(s) who can prove they got laid in one!
pjd
Ranger

Post by pjd »

How many Rangers can fit in the back of a 5-Ton?

One More!!!

Gotta love the ol' Truck Assult. Fuckers really pissed me off in JRTC. Our company got to take 5-Tons to a drop off point, then spend the entire next day and a half moving to the OBJ through all that swampy shit at Polk. When we arrived at the OBJ and made contact, some 2nd Batt girls fast roped in about 250m away, nice and dry and rested and fed. Bastards really gave me a case of the ass :twisted: Was still a ton of fun, even if Truck Assults aren't that high speed and long movements always bring the suck out.
A 1/75 Rgr Regt 96-97
1/503 Inf Regt (AASLT) 97-98
Broke Dick @ WAMC 98-99
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

We used buses alot. Now when I take a bus I have to remind myself not to keep my feet and knees together when I exit. :lol: :lol: :lol:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

It was rare when we used vehicles at 2nd Bat. Sure, I elevated my feet a couple times in the back of a 5-ton, but we usually either marched, jumped, or took a Blackhawk ( the helo pad was just across the street). To this day, I haven't set foot inside a Hummer.
RLTW
EP
Of course, we had horse-drawn carts back when I was in...
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

EarthPig wrote:It was rare when we used vehicles at 2nd Bat. Sure, I elevated my feet a couple times in the back of a 5-ton, but we usually either marched, jumped, or took a Blackhawk ( the helo pad was just across the street). To this day, I haven't set foot inside a Hummer.
RLTW
EP
The only time I got to ride in a Hummer was at JOTC. Since I was a new Pvt, I had to do a detail of cleaning up and some other shit. When we were done, we drove across the canal and I got really good view of the locks. It was pretty cool.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Ranger Luna wrote:We used buses alot. Now when I take a bus I have to remind myself not to keep my feet and knees together when I exit.
EP's got a great bus story on this site. :wink:
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

This was the most widely used Ranger Transportation that I remember......Damn steel in the boots would always crack and start making a clicking sound when I walked.
Last edited by Flesh Thorn on July 11th, 2006, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

I even did a combat insertion by bus. :shock: :twisted:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

EarthPig wrote:It was rare when we used vehicles at 2nd Bat. Sure, I elevated my feet a couple times in the back of a 5-ton, but we usually either marched, jumped, or took a Blackhawk ( the helo pad was just across the street). To this day, I haven't set foot inside a Hummer.
RLTW
EP
No shit...frickin southern batts have it easy............

At 2nd when I was there we walked....that's all we did was walk....walk, walk, walk......5 tons were occasional.......choppers next to never....walk out to the field, walk back in from the field........

I never got into a hummer until LRS, where we had one per platoon......(Don't even get me started on how much maintenance the army requires for ONE vehicle...... :roll: 0
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Ranger Luna wrote:I even did a combat insertion by bus. :shock: :twisted:
Story here:

http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic. ... highlight=
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

On a serious note:

Heard that RSOVS are all but dead and the hummer reigns supreme. It seems we are relearning some of our combat lessons from North Africa during WWII. Motorized and moving fast.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
1st Ranger

Post by 1st Ranger »

yeah, you heard right. As of October I wasn't quite sure what the final verdict was on the RSOVs. I hadn't seen one in a while though. The new hummers are nice. They're not your typical hummer. Lots of improvements over the standard model. all-in-all though, they're still bullet magnets.

1st Ranger
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

1st Ranger wrote: they're still bullet magnets.
That is priceless. During WWIIII (OIF1) we refered to our Hummers as RPG magnets.

The WWIIII reference is made tongue firmly in cheek!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

BadMuther wrote:
RLTW
EP
No shit...frickin southern batts have it easy............

At 2nd when I was there we walked....that's all we did was walk....walk, walk, walk......5 tons were occasional.......choppers next to never....walk out to the field, walk back in from the field........

I never got into a hummer until LRS, where we had one per platoon......(Don't even get me started on how much maintenance the army requires for ONE vehicle...... :roll: 0
I see that it did you alot of good. Balloon boy! :lol:
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99

Return to “Ranger Transportation”