The most widely used Ranger transpo is......................

Moving in and around an area of operations. Helicopters, Bikes, RSOVs, Zodiac's, etc...
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

5 tons suck. One time at band camp.....

No really we were out in South Rainer somewhere and we were supposed to have two trucks. Well only one showed up and we put the whole platoon plus rucks plus others in one truck. I thought someone was going to die. It was so jammed full with people and rucks. Of course privates were on the floor with rucks piled on top of them, NCO's on the seats but no one could move. I don't remember how long the drive was but it sucked.

I know we road more in 5 tons than anything else. I never road in a RSOV or Hummer. It was either by foot, 5 ton, rotary, or fixed wing.

Ranger2
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

Well, Checker Cab was always our first choice of transport. But when they weren't available we FUCKIN WALKED!!!!!!!
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Silverback wrote:On a serious note:

Heard that RSOVS are all but dead and the hummer reigns supreme. It seems we are relearning some of our combat lessons from North Africa during WWII. Motorized and moving fast.
As I remember correctly the bigest reason the rsov was chosen over the humvee (cause they were tested as well) was beacause they were easier to load in all AC. I always thought they were ball less as hell ......now the old gun jeeps you fuck all kinds of stuff up with that thing.....rolled more than one....
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
BRanger91
Ranger

Post by BRanger91 »

This is by far the most reliable and used transportation the Regt. has yet to date:
C co 3/75 91-93 'The Rock'
OIF 04-05
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

BRanger91 wrote:This is by far the most reliable and used transportation the Regt. has yet to date:

Thats the same exact model of Leather Personnel Carrier I used. Air cooled, walk dry, with built in Water Dispersment.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Hoover wrote:Well, Checker Cab was always our first choice of transport. But when they weren't available we FUCKIN WALKED!!!!!!!
I don't recall bein moved in 5-tons very much either. But I sure as hell remember wearin out my boots from all the FRIGGIN WALKIN I did.

As BRanger91 said, my primary means of Transportation we're these:

Question? With all the changes that have been made since my time are Jungle Boots still a part of "Standard Issue" Within the Regiment?
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Smiddy
Ranger

Post by Smiddy »

rgrpuck wrote:
Silverback wrote:On a serious note:

Heard that RSOVS are all but dead and the hummer reigns supreme. It seems we are relearning some of our combat lessons from North Africa during WWII. Motorized and moving fast.
As I remember correctly the bigest reason the rsov was chosen over the humvee (cause they were tested as well) was beacause they were easier to load in all AC. I always thought they were ball less as hell ......now the old gun jeeps you fuck all kinds of stuff up with that thing.....rolled more than one....
Roger, The RSOV can be loaded on a Talon and still drop toops.

This of course would not be applicable with larger platforms.
"NEVER WITHOUT HONOR"

C Co, 1/75; 92-00...HHC, 1/75; 00-02
Apeman
Inprocessing

Post by Apeman »

They actually could load them on 47's too, as long as the turret gun wasn't mounted. First time I seen it done was when JRTC was still in Fort Chaffee; Chinook landed, RSOV broke shackles, rolled off the ramp and immediately Got stuck in the LZ we were in. My wholoe platoon came to the rescue to push this thing 10 more feet so that the 47 could take off, RSOV had to be mock "blowed in place" after a pair of broken wench cables and a foot of a certain PSG gettin stuck underneath it somehow which had to be dug out with E-Tools.
B Co. and HHC 1/75 92-99
A Co. 1/509 OPFOR JRTC
C Co. 4th RTB
Ranger class 7-95
Fishboy
Ranger

Post by Fishboy »

EP said
Of course, we had horse-drawn carts back when I was in...

That gents is a fine example of a preemptive strike!

:lol:[/quote]
WHEN IN DOUBT, SHOOT IT OUT!
Never let your fears stand in the way of your dreams.

RS 4-92
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

When we first got the RSOV's we took them out to Decker strip to "test" them out along with the harley's that were supposed to be the new bikes.

When we got back we were like " these fucking things fucking fly (RSOV), holy fuck they haul ass!

That civillian dude Joe* who used to run the motor pool quickly figured out that they still had the turbo's in them. They were taken out and the RSOV slowed waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down :roll:
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

RRDTm3 wrote:When we first got the RSOV's we took them out to Decker strip to "test" them out along with the harley's that were supposed to be the new bikes.

When we got back we were like " these fucking things fucking fly (RSOV), holy fuck they haul ass!

That civillian dude Joe* who used to run the motor pool quickly figured out that they still had the turbo's in them. They were taken out and the RSOV slowed waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down :roll:
What a buddy fucker.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

RRDTm3 wrote:When we first got the RSOV's we took them out to Decker strip to "test" them out along with the harley's that were supposed to be the new bikes.

That was stupid.

If there was a problem with maintenance costs or casualties during training they should have governed them down so they can be taken off for a real world mission. But that wouldn't work either, because Rangers train as they do. :roll:
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
RangerJurena
Ranger/Moderator

Post by RangerJurena »

1/75 spends so much time in the 5 ton because training is conducted at Ft. Stewart which is like 30 fucking miles from HAAF.

That being said, I spent much more time walking in Jungle boots then riding in a 5 ton. We may have driven an hour to get to Ft. Stupid, but we spent the next 120 hours humping around the swamps.

In the spirit of the thread..my favorite memories were sitting on the slab while there were plenty of seats available because I had no tab and then the sheer ecstacy of having a bench all time myself while some cherry sat on the slab upon my graduation.
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89
http://www.75thrra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are you a member?

Post by rgrpuck »

RangerJurena wrote:In the spirit of the thread..my favorite memories were sitting on the slab while there were plenty of seats available because I had no tab and then the sheer ecstacy of having a bench all time myself while some cherry sat on the slab upon my graduation.
Yep nothing quite like sounding hit the slab for the first time ......

Or being that lone tabbed SPC sitting on the bench while 20 Pvts are piled in the floor....

Good times :wink:
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )

Return to “Ranger Transportation”