Fastroping

Moving in and around an area of operations. Helicopters, Bikes, RSOVs, Zodiac's, etc...
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

Oh yeaaahhhh. I just love the Army's wisdom. After that incident:

Roping with miles harnesses ---------> Very bad

Roping with 150+lbs of shit on you ------------- A OK.

Lawn Darts - God I hated that shit. Maybe things have changed, but 10 yrs ago they'd turn our asses loose out of the back of a bird with a fookin' 5-ton strapped on our back.

I know, I know .... quit my whining. :lol:
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
RgrHunter
Ranger

Post by RgrHunter »

common on now, it's the 10 hardest days in the Army!!!
Rgr Hunter
Bco/HHC 1/75-'97-'03
Random Intensity
RLTW
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

We used to fast rope for the 0-4 demos.Every time we did it we had two guys hiding in the tree-line to do the SPIES extraction just in case someone smoked in.The idea was if you fucked up ya had to make it look hollywood 'till you hit the tree-line.We did it helmetless one time...CSM Spears wasn't too fuckin' thrilled about that one. :roll:
But fuck...we sure looked cool for the "fans".

We also did the helocast.Lovely fun in Feb. :D
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

We were fast roping in 81- 84 at 2/75. It's alot of fun and easy to do.
Just don't fall, I knew a guy who did. Burned in with his 60mm, somehow he didn't get hurt much at all :shock: . And don't land your foot on the tail of the rope or a sprained ankle could be in store. All in all it's good fun!!!!
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Hoover wrote:We were fast roping in 81- 84 at 2/75. It's alot of fun and easy to do.
Just don't fall, I knew a guy who did. Burned in with his 60mm, somehow he didn't get hurt much at all :shock: . And don't land your foot on the tail of the rope or a sprained ankle could be in store. All in all it's good fun!!!!
we were On a deployment to Bragg once doing rotary Bilats we would go from Bird to Bird Ropeing out each one....from HH-53 to Little bird (yes you can rope two guys per side on a little bird)

We were doing CH-47 elevators when my AG (PFC Cueado) asked to rope the gun. I made sure that the gun was slung down and away from the rope and up wew went.....when we did the Rope Cueado got caught under the rope on the bottom and just got pile slammed by half of the PLT. Once he got up and ove to me He was limping pretty bad. I asked what was wrong with him. He said he felt like his leg was Cramped up. thats when I saw that the front sight blade of the M-60 was buried flush into his thigh. OOOOWWWWW........ Needless to say he required a little stitching.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

rgrpuck wrote:
Hoover wrote:We were fast roping in 81- 84 at 2/75. It's alot of fun and easy to do.
we were On a deployment to Bragg once doing rotary Bilats we would go from Bird to Bird Ropeing out each one....from HH-53 to Little bird (yes you can rope two guys per side on a little bird)

We were doing CH-47 elevators when my AG (PFC Cueado) asked to rope the gun. I made sure that the gun was slung down and away from the rope and up wew went.....when we did the Rope Cueado got caught under the rope on the bottom and just got pile slammed by half of the PLT. Once he got up and ove to me He was limping pretty bad. I asked what was wrong with him. He said he felt like his leg was Cramped up. thats when I saw that the front sight blade of the M-60 was buried flush into his thigh. OOOOWWWWW........ Needless to say he required a little stitching.
On the incident I'm refering to, Ranger Curtis got an ammo bandelier wrapped around his neck somehow and was choked out. He passed out and down he went :shock: ouch
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
joey86
Ranger

fastroping out of a little-bird

Post by joey86 »

One thing when fastroping out of a little bird.. you have to crouch while grabbing the rope and swinging out. if you stand up you will litterly lose your head. kind of freaky when you're doing it. Usually used for roof top insertions.

RLTW

joey86
A Co 2/75 2nd plt(blacksheep),93-97, RS 11-94

If your walking by a river of molten lava, and you drop your keys in it. forget it man cause they're gone !!!! ---Deep thoughts by Jack Handy- SNL

What is best in life ? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women. -Conan
madslashers1-2
Ranger

Post by madslashers1-2 »

Creeping Death wrote:Oh yeaaahhhh. I just love the Army's wisdom. After that incident:

Roping with miles harnesses ---------> Very bad

Roping with 150+lbs of shit on you ------------- A OK.

Lawn Darts - God I hated that shit. Maybe things have changed, but 10 yrs ago they'd turn our asses loose out of the back of a bird with a fookin' 5-ton strapped on our back.

I know, I know .... quit my whining. :lol:

No that shit hasn't changed, twice combat insertions with more than a fuckload of gear from 60 ft. , plus if you fast rope onto the slope of a mountain don't be surprised if you and your whole platoon roll about 40 fucking feet when you hit the ground.
1st Plt, C Co. 2/75, OCT 02/JUN 06, (RS 09-04)
160th LRS-D, JUN 06/SEP 08
1106th TASMG, SEP 08/MAY 10
Joined the Darkside
A Co. 1/185 AR, MAY 10/Present
RGR_Dan
Ranger

Post by RGR_Dan »

The guy who came up with fast fuckin' roping was not a weapons squad guy!
95-98 Aco. 3/75 2nd plt Weapons Sqd
98-01Hco 121st LRS
Former LEO
Former Contractor
LEO (round 2)
madslashers1-2
Ranger

Post by madslashers1-2 »

Amen
1st Plt, C Co. 2/75, OCT 02/JUN 06, (RS 09-04)
160th LRS-D, JUN 06/SEP 08
1106th TASMG, SEP 08/MAY 10
Joined the Darkside
A Co. 1/185 AR, MAY 10/Present
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: .

Post by AbnRgr289 »

RGR_Dan wrote:The guy who came up with fast fuckin' roping was not a weapons squad guy!
He wasn't a Mortar Maggot either. :shock:
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Our PLT was roping the tower with Full Kit RBA Mortar rucks the whole shebang. As I hit the rope I start flying down the rope as if some one had greased it before I grabbed on. I hit the ground my knees flexed and I thought all was well but as my knees flexed the barrell of my MR. Big Gun hit the dirt and the butt smashed mt rght in the mouth. I fall back with blood pouring out of my mouth then I roled out of the way only to get tangled in the ropethe the guy behind me landed on my head. I couldnt feel my top front teeth fro a week
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

FAstropping.....God I hate this fucking method. I hate jumping to, because I don't care for heights (won't see me looking over the edge of a high rise any time soon), but I hated roping even worse. Especially the towers. Birds, not so bad. Towers, total and absolute exercise in suck. Doing to bilats in Hunter-Ligget, a dude in my squad did a one handed rope with a 240 for about 20 feet. It had just got done raining, so he was just shaken a bit. Soft ground. My worst experience was at the tower out by Noble Hill. I was told "do not pull on the rope to pull yourself up". So what did I do? Landed like a pile of shit and used the rope to get up. Next thing I know, I'm flying ass over teakettle into the chain link fence. Turns out another SL saw me do it and picked me up (RBA and all) threw me into the fence and continued very vigorously trying to make a hole in the fence with my body. Well, I never did that again. Who says pain compliance doesn't work?
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA

Return to “Ranger Transportation”