Former Marine 0311 thinking of joining

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Jb0311
Egg

Former Marine 0311 thinking of joining

Post by Jb0311 »

I'm a former USMC 0311, previously assigned to 2nd LAR (from my knowledge of the army its essentially the equivalent to your scout cav). I got out in march of 2011 and am currently using my post 9/11 gi bill to finish my degree. The reason for my interest in the Rangers is because, in my personal opinion (don't get me wrong here I have a great amount of respect for the Corps and am not shit talking it) the Marines are really good at laying down the fundamentals for soldiering, but after soi I really didn't see any further training that I feel would qualify a unit as "elite". All of the schools I requested I was told were limited to recon/marsoc or were conditional on re-enlistment bonuses. Additionally, the lack of funding was grossly disturbing; I was deployed to afghanistan with a broken weapon and had to buy most of my own kit. Retention rates in my unit were low, and come to think of it the vast majority of my buddys from soi who went to different units got out after their four years as well. I want a no bs assessment from current or former Rangers (ranger battalion not just ranger qualified) what is life like for you guys training, overseas, and in garrison.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Former Marine 0311 thinking of joining

Post by KW Driver »

Do us a favor and capitalize Ranger when you use it.

Life in Bn? Better, more realistic, better funded training than anywhere else but a few units. We had a similar mentality to Recon/FR guys (MARSOC didn't exist when I was there), but we always had the best and newest equipment. We had the best budgets, and plenty of schools.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Jb0311
Egg

Re: Former Marine 0311 thinking of joining

Post by Jb0311 »

How about the indoc, how tough is Ranger school? Not sure what your recruiters look for in a candidate, but to give you some backround info I got out with a 292/300 pft, expert rifle score, asvab gt score was 112, swim qual not so good but did pull that up to a 2nd class, and our humps were usually between 10-20 k. Also not sure if this is a factor for re-enlistment or not, but I have a mild case of ptsd from my 2009 deployment that has gotten better with time, head wizzard even said that he would be comfortable with me returning to combat.

Return to “Introduction Archive”