Hello from North Carolina

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

mamilitaria
US Army

Hello from North Carolina

Post by mamilitaria »

Hello all,
I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Mike and am a 17 year Army veteran (still serving). Although I am not a Ranger, I have worked with plenty in the past. I am a helicopter crewchief and currently work with the new UH-72 Lakota for the North Carolina Guard. We've done a few missions with the Rangers, but primarily we have a counterdrug and homeland defense mission. I spent a number of years at Ft. Bragg when I was active too.

The reason I joined is in hopes of finding out some more about an acquaintance of mine. While I don't doubt his service to the Rangers, I am starting to question the events surrounding his departure.

I don't plan on publicly posting his name, but I have seen his RIP certificate dated 15 Nov 2002 along with his orders assigning him to 3rd Bat after the fact. I have also seen his airborne cert and even his keeper of the wings cert from October 2002. The troubling thing is despite seeing all these documents (I even have personally scanned them) he has "lost" his 214 and doesn't talk about his ETS. I am starting to wonder if he left on less than honorable conditions.

Is there any way to find out what might have happened? He was trying to get a job with a company my retired SF friend works for, but even he is suspicious. I would be curious if there is anyone out there that was in 3rd Bn in the end of 2002 that might know him or could look in to the reasons of him leaving.

Thanks everyone,

Mike
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Hello from North Carolina

Post by cams »

You say he's your friend to some extent or aquaintance and you don't doubt his service, why then don't you show him a little respect and just ask him?

Maybe he thinks its none of your business. Maybe he doesn't trust you. How did you come to be able to scan his cert's? With or without his knowledge and why?

My money will always be on the Battboy until such time as hard evidence tells me otherwise.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
mamilitaria
US Army

Post by mamilitaria »

He is more of an acquaintance than a friend since I know him through someone else, but I offered to help him rebuild his Class A’s since I was heading down to Bragg. Times were tight for him and I wanted to help him out and even offered to pay. He was more than grateful for my offer as he said his uniform was destroyed by an ex. (whether that’s true or not was not my concern)

He wasn’t claiming he received anything extraordinary but he couldn’t remember what he was actually awarded. I asked to see his 214 in order to assist with the rebuilding but every time he danced around the subject or said he didn't know where it was. He let me have scans of his certs to prove he was who he said he was, but something just didn’t seem right. When I called one time he even had a family member say he went to the VA for an injury and later learned it was a lie.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

If he went to the VA (and I guess he didn't) he needs a DD-214; or they generally won't talk to you. At least General for any Benefits.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Introduction Archive”