Introduction - 1970GTO

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

1970GTO
Embryo

Re: Introduction - 1970GTO

Post by 1970GTO »

Hello Rangers,

This morning I met with my doctor and reviewed the results of my PFT. All 5 of my readings were normal although the ratio between two of the numbers was slightly reduced. As a result, the PFT states that I have "minimal airway restriction/asthma." After speaking with my doctor and reviewing my medical/athletic history (haven't been treated for asthma since age 9, played varsity athletics all through school), he has concluded that I do not have asthma. He wrote a letter to attach to my PFT stating "Robert has minimal airway restriction/asthma by PFT testing. Clinically Robert has no symptoms and is NOT considered to have asthma." I took this letter and the PFT results to my recruiter and he said that should be perfect. He said the best case scenario is they will accept that and grant me a waiver. Worst case scenario I will have to go to a doctor near MEPS and repeat the test. However, another recruiter overheard our conversation and said that with a waiver I cannot get an Airborne contract and therefore I cannot get a RASP contract. My recruiter said he would look into it and I can always get orders for Airborne School and RASP at BCT/AIT. He and I agreed this is not ideal and he told me he will look into having a waiver and getting an Airborne contract. Thank you for your time Rangers.
elgecko
Ranger

Post by elgecko »

PM inbound, 1970GTO.
Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.
-Virgil

E Co, 2/75
RS 2-15
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

OK, 1970GTO, one step closer. This link it to Regimental Recruiting. Never, never quit!

http://www.soc.mil/75th%20Ranger%20Regi ... iting.html
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
1970GTO
Embryo

Post by 1970GTO »

Thank you for the information Ranger Jim.

Can anyone comment on the availability of Airborne contracts to people with asthma waivers? I searched the forums and found information saying people were disqualified from taking an Airborne physical at MEPS because they had a medical waiver but nothing definitive on asthma waivers.

Unfortunately I will not know if I am even granted a waiver for at least 8 months. My recruiter said he cannot send the information to MEPS to be evaluated until I am ready to enter the DEP and I cannot do that until I have filed all of my paperwork for graduation and I know I will graduate. I don't want to enter the DEP prematurely and have a complication because I could not get a class I needed to graduate.

Since I do not have any symptoms and the PFT reflects this I believe my recruiter is nudging me towards Option 40 + Option "Keep Your Mouth Shut" (do not get an asthma waiver). I have always believed that honesty is the best policy but this is not my area of expertise so I'm open to advice.

Thank you for your continued support Rangers.

Return to “Introduction Archive”