Andrew's Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

LankyA
Embryo

Andrew's Introduction

Post by LankyA »

Hello Rangers

My name is Andrew. I am a 23 year old recent political science graduate (as of August 2012!) from a university out in Colorado. The past few years I have been in pursuit of a career in professional soccer. Injuries (none that disqualify me from joining the Army nor from entry into RASP) kept me out for 7 months so now I'm too old to make it. Joining up has interested me for several years, but soccer was always what I wanted to pursue the most. Now that soccer is over, I have several reasons for joining. First, I have had the great fortune to be born in the best country in the world. Not everyone knows how good we have it here. I want to do my part and serve this great place in any way I can. Second, I've always thought about joining up, but I never have. I don't want to be that guy later in life who says, "I thought about joining the military, but (insert reason here)." I'm young and it is an experience I do not want to regret not taking later in life. Third, coming from a sport that requires me to push my body to its limits, I believe the Army, in particular pursuing a spot in the Rangers, will force me to test my limits even further and even push beyond. I love the feeling of elation I get when I achieve something through hard work and dedication after I believing it to be impossible.

So, with those thoughts in mind, I turned to extensive research. I read a lot in this forum and else where, spoke to many people in a variety of MOSs before finally wanting to join an intelligence MOS. I had been told a few times that an Option 40 contract would be possible within the 35M (my preferred choice) MOS. After two visits with a recruiter I have been told this is not possible. It isn't even possible to get an Option 4. My recruiter has been very adement that I can get airborne as long as I tell the higher ups during basic that I want it. From there, he says Ranger recruiters will be at airborne to ask for RASP volunteers. I've not researched these possibilities as I only just got home from seeing him again. I believed my recruiter when he told me these things, if I shouldn't believe him, please tell me! :-) So, 35M is what I'm interested in. Provided I can't get an option 40, I will likely be enlisting in this MOS and PTing my heart out in basic in order to get airborne and hopefully RASP.

My APFT Scores are as follows:
Height: 6'5" Weight: 186 (still trying to gain a bit more)
Pushups: 47 (disappointed by this. I hit burnout way quicker than expected-might be due to workout earlier today. WIll update tomorrow)
Situps: 88
2 mile: 13:47

I'm fairly satisfied with these numbers as I have only been back training 100% for the past month and a half.

Thanks for reading, and sorry I've rambled a bit. Any tips for me are most welcome. Until then, I'll continue to utilize the excellent resources on this site.

Take care,

Andrew
LankyA
Embryo

Re: Andrew's Introduction

Post by LankyA »

Update, my pushups definitely need work. I wasn't even able to hit 40 today.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

LankyA wrote:Update, my pushups definitely need work. I wasn't even able to hit 40 today.
&
PTing my heart out in basic in order to get airborne and hopefully RASP.
Welcome, you are not yet ready PT wise.

I've heard from past RASP attendees that the Instructors have you do 41, (the # 41 - 10 times) before they get to 42.
You would fail and go worldwide, needs of the Army.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
LankyA
Embryo

Post by LankyA »

Ranger Steadfast,

I agree. I will be working on PT strenuously.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We take pride in the fine young men who pass through here in their life journey. Please check this site. To your recruiter, you are a number. In most cases, he wants only to meet his monthly quota, and whatever he can get with the least effort on his part is what he will do.

http://www.soc.mil/75th%20Ranger%20Regi ... iting.html
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
LankyA
Embryo

Post by LankyA »

Ranger Jim,

Thank you for the welcome. I definitely want to pursue a Ranger spot!

Thanks for the link. This is what has caused me to question my recruiter saying I can't get a Option 40. However, it has also given me confidence that I can make it to RASP even if I just enlist as a 35M.

I will continue reading the information on this site as well.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Try:

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjobs/a/97e.htm

As you can see 35M is not a piece of cake. But there are slots in the Ranger Regiment. Most of the questions have been addressed. Use the search feature located on the top right of this page. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
peterk
US Army

Post by peterk »

LankyA,

I would suggest you head the words and accept nothing but an option 40 and if not an option 4 at the least. Unless you are ordered to come to Benning, I wouldn't put my money on it happening by chance. If being a Ranger is what you want, accept nothing less. What Ranger Steadfast has told you is true, you need to work on your PT. If you are getting burnt out at 40, you need to really work on your endurance. You should get to a point where you can knock out 60 good ones the first minute before you take some rest. Read and work hard if you really want it.
"I submit to you that if a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live." Martin Luther King Jr.

RSTB
LankyA
Embryo

Post by LankyA »

Ranger Jim,

While 35M certainly will not be easy, it is an MOS that sounds extremely interesting to me. I love the intellectual challenges that would come along with this MOS. I will continue to use peruse the site and utilize this resource.

Ranger Peterk,

Thank you for the suggestion. I will consult my current recruiter on this. As to the PT, I have been working on it. I made my 5 mile run in 38:30. I'm very happy with my beginning running times, and very displeased with my push up numbers. With playing soccer for the past 19 years I concentrated more on my lower body than I did on my upper body. This will change. Within the next month, or less, I want to be able to bang out 50 pushups in consecutive sets and have my max be in the high 60s or low 70s.

Thank you for the input! I really am working hard on what I need to do!
LankyA
Embryo

Post by LankyA »

I just wanted to give an update on my situation. I e-mailed the recruiter for intelligence MOS's for the Rangers and received a reply saying that it would be very easy for me to volunteer for RASP at Basic and AIT. I will likely be enlisting as a 35M in the next few weeks. I've been working on my PT a lot the past month and have been able to up my pushup total to 63 in two minutes, as of last week. Stupidly, I hadn't realized I was allowed a break while doing the test.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

excerpt of LankyA wrote: I e-mailed the recruiter for intelligence MOS's for the Rangers and received a reply saying that it would be very easy for me to volunteer for RASP at Basic and AIT
Do a search on dk188 (author) - a post of his, Dec 29, 2012 & see what he (& others in his AIT) has been encountering waiting to volunteer for RASP.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to t he site, LankyA.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
LankyA
Embryo

Post by LankyA »

Ranger Steadfast,

I've bookmarked the thread. Thank you for the suggestion.

Ranger ManchuV and Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV,

Thank you for the welcome. The information on this site is amazing.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

LankyA wrote:The information on this site is amazing.
We try to ensure that we provide accurate guidance to potential Rangers. Anyone with the honorific Ranger by their name has either served in the 75th Ranger Regiment or graduated from Ranger School (some both). Never, never quit.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Introduction Archive”