Introduction - Michael G.

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

MikeG86
Embryo

Introduction - Michael G.

Post by MikeG86 »

Hello, my name is Michael (name deleted by Admin) and I am a future soldier shipping out to Ft. Benning as an 11X on 10 September 2012. I am from California and recently moved back after graduating college in New York City. I have always wanted to become a Ranger and will do whatever is necessary to earn that opportunity. I was unable to receive an Option 40 contract and I am working on adding an Option 4 to my contract now before I ship out.
My current APFT scores are:
PU: 80
SU:90
Pullups: 20
5 Mile: 37:22
I need to shave off some time on my runs which I have been working on. My ASVAB score is an 85 with a GT of 120. I am in hopes that I will have the chance to obtain a RASP slot if I PT well and stay out of trouble at OSUT, but two concerns I have is that
a Ranger recruiter may not come to my OSUT class to get some guys for whatever reason (unavailable/no slots), and secondly that since my ship date is in Sept, I will run into Christmas exodus, or graduate the week before and they may not be willing to put me in holdover, and instead send me straight to a line unit regardless of my ASVAB and PT scores.
Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all very much.
Sincerely, Michael
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Michael G.

Post by Jim »

I've been told that the Ranger LNO visits each OSUT Company and provides a number of RASP slots to each company. Earn this.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
MikeG86
Embryo

Post by MikeG86 »

Ranger Jim, thank you for your response. Is there a chance that because my OSUT class graduates the week of Exodus that they will not send a Ranger Recruiter to my class because they don't want to hold people over? Also, may I send you a PM? Thank you again. Sincerely, Michael
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

MikeG86 wrote:Ranger Jim, thank you for your response. Is there a chance that because my OSUT class graduates the week of Exodus that they will not send a Ranger Recruiter to my class because they don't want to hold people over? Also, may I send you a PM? Thank you again. Sincerely, Michael
Pm if you wish.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
MikeG86
Embryo

Post by MikeG86 »

Rangers, since my last post I have continued to request that an Option 40 be added to my contract. The head of my RS took me to MEPS in order to take an Airborne physical which I passed, then we looked for the Option 40 on the system. There were none available, however the head of my RS said that he would task my recruiter to check everyday for the Option 40 until I ship out. That was nearly two weeks ago. Since then my recruiter has only checked once and he threatened to drop me from DEP if I ask him to check anymore. The last time I asked him he said he will check on slots for 11B, and I had to correct him, stating that I was after an Option 40, and that 11B is not something an infantry recruit can choose. He said "I will check next week" and that he would "put in the papers to have me dropped".
I have been respectful and courteous to my recruiter, yet he still will not make the phone call. I am unsure as to what I should do from this point on. The head of my RS has been helpful, stating that adding the Option 40 will not affect my ship date, however my recruiter refuses to call and check for the Option 40 and does not pick up my phone calls or respond to any messages. Any advice on what I should do from here would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Rangers. Sincerely, Michael

PU: 83
SU: 90
2 Mile: 12:54
Pullups: 20

Ship date Sept 10, 2012
MikeG86
Embryo

Post by MikeG86 »

To all Rangers, past, present and future,
I am on my holiday leave and heading back to Fort Benning where I have my final FTX, then graduation. I was able to secure a contract to RASP during my OSUT training, however it was only possible because my Drill Sergeant took me to the Ranger Liaisons office personally and requested that I get a contract. I maintained a 300 PT score throughout OSUT and stayed away from the complainers and those who were not motivated, which is what I would advise anyone headed to Fort Benning to do.
Fair Warning: I am in week 14 and the Ranger Liaisons never came to my company to see if anyone who qualified wanted a contract. I was told by many that if I was good at PT and had a good GT score that I would get a contract no problem. Fortunately enough for me I have great Drill Sergeants, however there are guys from other platoons who are very squared away and were unable to get a contract thus far because their Drill Sergeants would not help them out and the Ranger Liaisons have not showed up. I understand that there is still a week left in my infantry training so there is a chance they come during FTX, but there are many anxious guys right now who have not gotten contracts yet with only a week left of training. My point is: do everything you can to secure the Option 40 prior to enlisting.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Excellent SITREP and a good reality check. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Introduction Archive”