Ranger Training in-country during the Vietnam War

Discussing the history of Army Rangers.

Moderator: Site Admin

B. anthracis
Egg

Ranger Training in-country during the Vietnam War

Post by B. anthracis »

Hi. I'm doing some research for a writing project and I'm hoping you can help me.

Around 1990-91 or so, I read book by a Vietnam vet. For the life of me I can't remember his name or the title of the book. At any rate, he entered Vietnam as an 11B but subsequently received Ranger training while in-country (and did lots of LRRPs) as opposed to going back to the States and receiving training the conventional way. I cannot find references to this anywhere on the internet or on Amazon. All that comes up are topics regarding the ARVN (S. Vietnamese Rangers).

It could be that I've mis-remembered things but I don't think so. One memory from the book that stands out for me is the author and several other soldiers making fun of a new Lt. that had come from the states after earning his Ranger creds there. They called him Bumblebee (for the black and gold Ranger tab) and would make buzzing sounds at him from time to time.If anyone here has any information on this subject I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Ranger Training in-country during the Vietnam War

Post by Slowpoke »

Google MACV Recondo School. You might also ask the Google gods about 5th Special Forces Group, Detachment B-52, Project Delta.

And the author you're thinking of is probably Gary Linderer.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
B. anthracis
Egg

Post by B. anthracis »

Awesome, that's it. Thanks!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

A number of us were advisors to the Vietnamese Rangers. We had training facilities of our own.

http://arlingtoncemetery.net/vietnamese ... morial.htm
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Jim wrote:A number of us were advisors to the Vietnamese Rangers. We had training facilities of our own.

http://arlingtoncemetery.net/vietnamese ... morial.htm
We also had our own Ranger School . . .as most Ranger companies did. Senior team leaders taught the course. This was done so that trainees had a good solid base in tactics and company SOPs before they tried out for the teams.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

We had a little bit different method of tryouts for the Teams. A Team Leader that was short on people took you out on a mission, if he liked the way you handled yourself getting shot at, you we're good to go. If he didn't think you had it, you went down the road. And then we had many who, after being out in the jungle with only four or five of your favorite companions....commo twice a day....and little fuckers trying to shoot you, that maybe this wasn't for them. They pretty much disappeared before the Team Leader got to give an opinion. Of course, this was in the time when "morning reports" were written on the walls of a cave.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Each unit had its own way of doing business or training. What you are asking has a wide spectrum. You need to focus your research.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

I read the "Eyes Behind the Lines" series, good books. Along with "Recondo", I believe the author of that was Ken Miller. Lots of sources out there, but I will take this opportunity to tell all the Vietnam Vets in here thank you. You warriors were my heroes growing up.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
RMP-RLTW
Ranger

Post by RMP-RLTW »

IEDmagnet wrote:I read the "Eyes Behind the Lines" series, good books. Along with "Recondo", I believe the author of that was Ken Miller. Lots of sources out there, but I will take this opportunity to tell all the Vietnam Vets in here thank you. You warriors were my heroes growing up.
X1000!!

I grew up reading the "eyes behind the lines" books. It didn't take me that long to read them you smart asses! I actually read them over and over again. Big thank you gentlemen! The best stories from rendezvous always came from you guys! I vote for a story time thread for all you FOGs to post up behind the scenes.

Ryan
RLTW!
B co.3/75 99-02
OEF Vet
Mala Malis Facimus
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

RMP-RLTW wrote:
IEDmagnet wrote:I read the "Eyes Behind the Lines" series, good books. Along with "Recondo", I believe the author of that was Ken Miller. Lots of sources out there, but I will take this opportunity to tell all the Vietnam Vets in here thank you. You warriors were my heroes growing up.
X1000!!

I grew up reading the "eyes behind the lines" books. It didn't take me that long to read them you smart asses! I actually read them over and over again. Big thank you gentlemen! The best stories from rendezvous always came from you guys! I vote for a story time thread for all you FOGs to post up behind the scenes.

Ryan
RLTW!
"Recondo" is dedicated to Gary Lotze, he was a friend of mine who extended his DROS to be a MACV Recondo School instructor.

It doesn't make any of us old dinosaurs feel any younger to have old Rangers say they grew up reading of our exploits. Most of us who wrote on the walls of caves have written up some of our stories in the '' No shit, there I was'' area......a few are even true! :wink:

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
RMP-RLTW
Ranger

Post by RMP-RLTW »

Good stuff! Guess I need to get off my phone and on to a computer and dig a bit deeper into that section. Thanks for the heads up!!!

Ryan
RLTW!
B co.3/75 99-02
OEF Vet
Mala Malis Facimus
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Slowpoke wrote: "Recondo" is dedicated to Gary Lotze, he was a friend of mine who extended his DROS to be a MACV Recondo School instructor.

It doesn't make any of us old dinosaurs feel any younger to have old Rangers say they grew up reading of our exploits. Most of us who wrote on the walls of caves have written up some of our stories in the '' No shit, there I was'' area......a few are even true! :wink:
What surprises me is that some actually lived to tell about it. Too many times it occurs to me all of the situations "Any One Of Which" could have wiped us out.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

I went to 4th ID - K/75 Pre-Recondo School after I completed my 1st 5 LRP missions. I understand K/75 Pre-Recondo was modeled after the MACV Recondo School. 1 week physical applications, map reading, calling in artillery or air support including learning rappelling. 2nd & 3rd week were actual 2 (4 day) missions.
There were 18 of us in that class (I still have the paper work - diploma) - only the honor grad went on to MACV Recondo School. Barrel Mahinney & I came from 2nd BDE HHC (LRRP)
I met one of my Ranger Instructors at last RR2011. Talk about a Natural High!
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “Ranger History”