Here is what you do with roast, potatoes, & carrot leftovers

This forum is the place to share you favorite recipes.
Tracker275
Ranger

Here is what you do with roast, potatoes, & carrot leftovers

Post by Tracker275 »

So,

Have any of you ever put a roast in the Crockpot with some potatoes and carrots? Put it in the night before, woke up to the wonderful smell of everything cooking with maybe the different spices you may have sprinkled in the water just before you closed the lid?

Well, let me ask you this...after you came home from work and enjoyed the wonderful meal, how many of you have taken the left overs and put them in a plastic container in the fridge, only to never reheat and eat it later?

I have a solution for you...and you or your family may never see any of it go into the garbage disposal or trash can.

Once everything is cooked and you have enjoyed the Crockpot meal, separate the juices from the roast, potatoes, and carrots. The juices go in a container by itself. If you like potatoes and carrots together, well, keep them together. Otherwise, separate those too.

In short, split every component up like you were dealing with loading ammo. You don't stick all of it in a bucket so don't put all of it in the same bowl.

1. The carrots, well, they are good by themselves with a little of the juices from the Crockpot. Reheat as desired in a bowl in the microwave.

2. Take the potatoes and mash them. Add a slight amount of the juices that you saved from the cooking of the roast. Include some sour cream and Philadelphia Cream Cheese (Conservative or Liberal is your choice...try not to stay with Party lines). Take a potato masher and mash all of it together, and then sprinkle some shredded cheese on it followed by the oven (if you are short on time, microwave). A little salt, and some butter, you have a combination of mashed potatoes, juices from the roast, a cheesy little bite in the background, while some cheddar to sign off on it.

3. The meat is the last part of this leftover. Take the now water extracted, dried out tasking rump roast with no juices surrounding it. Pull it apart and place it in a sauce pan. Once all of the roast is pulled apart, add as much as you feel you need of Stubbs BBQ Original Sauce [ http://www.stubbsbbq.com/product/original/ ], a conservative amount of water from your sink, and then place it on the stove. Let it simmer for awhile as you enjoy a beer and occasionally stir it with a fork. Once you feel it is to your liking after you taste it a few times, put it in a plastic container and into the fridge. When you go to heat it up later, put it in a bowl and nuke it. Then put it on some Pioneer Bread [ viewtopic.php?f=162&t=66223 ] that has been heated up with a little butter on it.

Lastly...nuke the carrots, reformed mashed potatoes and pulled beef onto some homemade bread.
2/75th RGR RGT ('94-'99)
SOCKOR ('02-'03)
5/19th SFG(A) ('04-'05)
3/1st SFG(A) ('05-06) - IRQ
EOD/WIT6, 71st ORD GRP (EOD) ('09-'10) - IRQ
SOCSOUTH ('10-'14)
CEXC, CJTF Paladin ('12-13) [Contractor] - AFG
EAC-E, 3/3rd SFG(A) ('13) [Contractor] - AFG
JIEDDO ('14) [Contractor]
Working Cowboy - Dumas Feedyard, LLC, Dumas, TX
75th RRA, Lifetime Member # 2652
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Re: Here is what you do with roast, potatoes, & carrot lefto

Post by centermass »

I'll admit I've never been fond of carrots, but I will definitely have to give this one a try.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
rangerjd
Ranger

Re: Here is what you do with roast, potatoes, & carrot lefto

Post by rangerjd »

The carrots are the best part of the meal, my wife gets mad cause I tend to eat them all. :roll:
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux

Return to “Ranger Culinary University”