Paleo

This forum is the place to share you favorite recipes.
goon175
Ranger

Re: Paleo

Post by goon175 »

have to be happy with what you are served when you are a dinner guest.
Yeah we definately ran into this when I was on leave a couple weeks ago, especially since I was in a wedding.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

I've read up on it and I'm sure it's a good diet. I just got tired of the attitudes of the guys I worked with trying to push it on everybody along with the crossfit. They acted like if you didn't agree with them and spend a lot of money to get the "approved" paleo food sent overseas, you were obviously beneath them. They basically acted like the Jehovah Witnesses of diet and exercise. If it makes you feel good, by all means do it.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

yeah man, like I said, I am definately not one to push what works for me on other people. If some one asks me why I eat this way or work out this way, wear this type of shoes, etc. then I will tell them about it, it's principles and so on, but I definately don't look down on someone for not doing it. hell, it's not like I have been eating this way forever, so who am I to judge.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

At one time I felt so bad I thought I was dieing or something. I have a thread title " I thought I was dieing" Turns out I was allergic to both dairy and wheat. Eliminating both of these made me about 90% compliant with the Paleo Diet. I shed about 20 pounds the first 60 days or so, some of which I am sure was fluid. My BP dropped from being in the high BP zone to about what it was in my early 20's. A little tweaking to my diet has brought me even closer to the model Paleo Diet and I can defiantly tell the difference in how I feel. I feel that some of the foods on the do-not-eat list are marginal while others are significant. Wheat, dairy, and sugar seem to be more significant. Eliminating the wheat and dairy kind of takes care of sugar.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

corn, potatoes, and legumes are definately in the marginal category for me. dairy is a huge irritant to me (just ask my wife).
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

goon175 wrote:corn, potatoes, and legumes are definately in the marginal category for me. dairy is a huge irritant to me (just ask my wife).
Quote of the day :lol:
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Flesh Thorn wrote:Anyone into eating bone marrow ? I am going to see if I can get a beef leg bone and roast it, split it open and get to the good stuff inside. Just about all cultures prized the marrow at one time. I understand that it is starting to appear on menus in some upscale restaurants. More to follow if I can find a leg bone.
I found some soup bones at the grocery. Baked them for about 20 minutes at 420 F. Marrow is buttery, fat like and pretty damn good. I see why someone living in the woods on lean meat would love this stuff.
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

If you go to the butcher, do you literally ask for "soup bones" or do they go by another name as well?
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I explained what I was wanting and they showed me a frozen bag of "knuckles" typically used for making beef stock and soup. Some of the bones were to close to the knuckle to have any marrow. I found out where there is an actual butcher shop and I may try there for more leg and less knuckle.
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

A little caution on eating marrow, it is very rich and even though I only ate a couple of tea spoon sized amount I could feel it sitting on my stomach for a while.
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

My BP was 100/62 today, the lowest it has been since I was in high school. I feel good, but I am curious if the tweaking of my diet is responsible. Five years ago I was pushing the hypertension range.
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Mingo Kane
Ranger

Post by Mingo Kane »

I have and still eat marrow quite a lot...Like you, I bake them in a oven, season the open top lightly...Let cool then suck it out with a metal tube (stainless steel used in plumbing)....Try it with deer this year Ranger Flesh....
B Co. 1st/75th 1983-86
Mentor to JTEL1
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

My BP was 100/62 today, the lowest it has been since I was in high school. I feel good, but I am curious if the tweaking of my diet is responsible. Five years ago I was pushing the hypertension range.
Awesome!
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

I got the books on the Paleo diet. Haven't pulled the trigger just yet. I think there's some merit to this and the whole 'eating to match your blood type' thing. I have always found (in RS especially) that when I 'crave' stuff it's fresh fruits and veggies or lean protein. Lo and behold - that's what the blood type diet says I should eat. I also have adverse reactions to heavy foods, and again, the diet supports it.

As for marrow - when cooked right it's awesome. I season it heavy on the top and serve it on toast. It is very fatty, so it's not a 'light' meal. You can also use marrow when cooking leaner meats. I throw some marrow bones on a brisket when I smoke it so the fat can permeate the meat. The bones are crazy cheap, yet they are considered delicacies. I wish that was still true of lobster - that used to be poor mans food.

I say all of this, but will be lined up at Dunkin Donuts first thing in the AM. :)
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03

Return to “Ranger Culinary University”