Paleo

This forum is the place to share you favorite recipes.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: Paleo

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Flesh Thorn wrote:My BP was 100/62 today, the lowest it has been since I was in high school. I feel good, but I am curious if the tweaking of my diet is responsible. Five years ago I was pushing the hypertension range.
After doing some googling on lower PB w/ Paleo dieting, it appears to be a not uncommon result.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

This is an awesome Paleo Pumpkin Pie recipe. My wife has made it a few times now, and it is honestly better than normal pumpkin pie.

http://www.primal-palate.com/2010/11/bi ... n-pie.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't use the stevia extract, and you don't need to make the whip cream either - it doesn't need it.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Enjoying a Red Bridge beer right now, and it dawned on me maybe I should share it. It's not completely "paleo" but it is gluten free, and tastes suprisingly good.

Also, I have a few recipes that I need to put up here as well, I'll try and get on that sooner rather than later.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

This past weekend marked the 30 days that I have eliminated alcohol with the exception of one drink a week. My motivation was more about trimming my budget. I have noticed that my sense of smell has improved and I also sleep better. The first week was kind of weird, but the desire to drink daily went away after about 5-7 days.

I have also discovered dates and figs for those times I want something sweet. A few dates or figs and a handful of raw almonds and I am good to go as far as snacks are concerned.
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Since I posted an "intro to paleo" for my current Future Soldiers a couple weeks ago, they have lost a cumulative 94 pounds thus far. And it's not like they all had a bunch to lose either, they all met the standards for enlistment.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
aahobbs00
Future Soldier

Post by aahobbs00 »

I have been looking into the Paleo diet (a.k.a the cave man diet)

I have heard that the basic ruleing on the diet is you eat things how they come. (i.e. you pick some fruit and you then consume it if you have to put the food threw some type of process to get something different its not Paleo food, like mixing egg and flour to get pasta)

So after reading about that all breads and pastas are out, my question to you Rangers and Non-Rangers cruising this forum, is RICE on the list of Paleo friendly foods?
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

aahobbs00 wrote: So after reading about that all breads and pastas are out, my question to you Rangers and Non-Rangers cruising this forum, is RICE on the list of Paleo friendly foods?
Educated yourself. Here is a good place to start :http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-rice- ... z2P84Cq6J7
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Great thread. I can't say that my wife and I are 100% paleo but for several months now we have done away with most carbs and eat very high protein with a lot of leafy greens, cauliflower, nuts and seeds. I always feel better when I eat low carb and I've discovered since hitting 50 a few years back that carbs tend to just pack on the pounds for me. I'm going to have to try some of these recipes and I'll get with my wife and share a cauliflower dish she makes that is delicious.
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

wazzle wrote:Read the book Grain Brain. Because of this book, I quit carbs and stopped taking statins for cholesterol. I lost 12 pounds and really don't miss the carbs. The author says keeping carbs below 60 g a day is the goal. If you take a statin, do some reading and find out what negative effects on the body. Inflammation from carbs, not cholesterol, cause heart problems.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I try to keep my carbs around 50 g a day, I work out 3 to 4 times a week, mostly weights, and I try to walk several times a week. The carbs I eat are form veggies and a little fruits, nuts and seeds and not from grain, rice or potatoes. When we go out to dinner I occasionally eat rice or refried beans with my Asian or Mexican food. I cheat a little. :) It's amazing the difference it makes going low carb.
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Julieanne
US Army Veteran

Post by Julieanne »

I am pretty much paleo - I follow the Blood Type Diet by Dr. James D'Adamo for type O, which is similar to paleo, however no nuts are allowed. The recipe below rocked my world. Enjoy.

Spicy Garlic Shrimp with Broccoli

*The broccoli was my addition, I use a whole bunch, up to you - I also use pre-cooked shrimp bc I'm lazy

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
4 cloves garlic, crushed away from skin
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
24 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails in tact, ask for easy peels at your fish counter
2 teaspoons grill or steak seasoning blend (recommended: Montreal Seasoning by McCormick) or coarse salt and pepper
1 lemon, zested and juiced
2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves, a handful

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, garlic, red pepper flakes and shrimp. Season with grill seasoning or salt and pepper and cook shrimp 3 minutes or until just pink. Toss with lemon zest, juice and chopped parsley. Remove shrimp to a serving platter leaving the garlic cloves in the pan.
~Julie
XVIII ABN Corps, Desert Storm Jan '91-May'91
319th MI BN May '91-Sept '93

"With the power of conviction, there is no sacrifice."

Return to “Ranger Culinary University”