Night Sights for Aging

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Night Sights for Aging

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

As I get older my eyesight gets worse, my prescription eyeglasses become more necessary, Since I don't sleep with them on it is becoming harder to focus on my current night sights for emergency situations.I have a laser and flashlight but I would appreciate any info on the best non-battery dependent aid for shooting at night other than the trigger finger point system. All input would be appreciated.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Re: Night Sights for Aging

Post by centermass »

Al,

What kind of night sights do you currently have?

What are you using - Long rifle? Pistol?
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

centermass wrote:Al,

What kind of night sights do you currently have?

What are you using - Long rifle? Pistol?
Should have specified that I need for pistol, currently have Trueglo and considering Meprolight. I would really appreciate feedback on what is recommended for clarity/visibility and duty life. The Trueglo started our well but has faded greatly in less than two years.
RLTW

Ranger Class 10-68

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Go with the Meprolights.

I've had mine over 10 years on my Glock and their still as bright as the day I got them.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
Patriot
Inprocessing

Post by Patriot »

Trijicon makes them as well but they are darn near the same as meprolights and a lot more expensive usually.
1/75
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Al take a look at these. I just put one on my G43 and I'm digging it pretty hard.

https://deadringerhunting.com/tactical- ... nake-eyes/

I've found that as I raise it to target it almost automatically centers itself without any thought at all, you're right on the front sight instantly and instinctively and feel as though you're looking through a rifle sight.

With a flashlight and the ghost ring it's a blessing for failing eyes.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Thanks for the quick input. I had thought the Meprolights were my only option. Cams, I just ordered the series 3 Snakeyes. If I can't see those I probably shouldn't be shooting.
RLTW

Ranger Class 10-68

rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Those are nice. I think I'll have to order a set for my Glock 20.
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

al_2ndWolfhounds wrote:Thanks for the quick input. I had thought the Meprolights were my only option. Cams, I just ordered the series 3 Snakeyes. If I can't see those I probably shouldn't be shooting.
There's several videos on YouTube on them as well that shows them being used and described in greater detail. Range videos and product reviews. So far most that have tried them love them. Very quick acquisition and well built. Strong enough to use the rear to rack your slide on a counter top, truck bed, pants pocket etc. Doesn't require any customizing of your holsters, and is still very comfortable for IWB carry.

My eyes are really going to shit quickly for some reason, but I'm already thinking that when I hit 60-65 I may just switch up from handguns to a double barrel coach gun that will clear a room in one blast. Anything still moving after that will be clubbed repeatedly like a baby seal until they say Uncle.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

fatboy
Ranger

Post by fatboy »

Another option is Trijicon HD sights. They have a neon orange or neon yellow front sight with a green tritium insert and the rear is solid black with green tritium inserts. On a bright day, the orange front sight almost glows. I use them on my duty gun.
Option two if you don't mind spending some money (and aren't totally against battery powered) is putting a mini red-dot sight on the gun. I have one of those as well, and it is probably my favorite. Very easy to shoot, especially at further ranges, and you focus on the target the whole time.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

cams wrote:Al take a look at these. I just put one on my G43 and I'm digging it pretty hard.

https://deadringerhunting.com/tactical- ... nake-eyes/

I've found that as I raise it to target it almost automatically centers itself without any thought at all, you're right on the front sight instantly and instinctively and feel as though you're looking through a rifle sight.

With a flashlight and the ghost ring it's a blessing for failing eyes.
Cams,

I got two pair in, one for my Glock 21 and one for my Springfield XD Mod2 .45ACP. As soon as I get final clearance from my doctor allowing all activities I will give them a workout. I took them outside both day and night and really appreciate the ease of focus. Thank you!
RLTW

Ranger Class 10-68

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Happy to help Brother. Admittedly I thought they were gimmicky when I first saw them online, but did a little research and figured WTF, if they suck I'll just send them back.

When the package came in (you've seen how they're already lined up in the packaging) I was just raising up the package and sighting them at people on the tv as a test before cutting it open, was surprised at the ease and quickness of centering the front post, so I took it a step further and put them on to go shoot.

Awkward at first, and not target sights that you'd put in a 2" circle, but after about 5 or 6 mags down range I was starting to naturally see it almost center itself on target. I beat it up a little, racking it several times on the loading table, a cinder block, my pants pocket, no issues at all with damage or mis-allignment after.

May not be for everybody but I like them, well built, bright tritium, and does its job very well.

As for the old eyes, I've noticed lately that at night/dark room, with tritium, I can no longer keep both eyes open, when I do I see not 3 dots, but 6 dots, all side by side. When I close my right eye it immediately returns to the expected 3 dot sight picture. It sucks but as long as we know the problems, we can adjust and adapt to it.

If something should happen with this sight that turns me to remove it for whatever reason, I think my next step would be to only have tritium on the front sight, thus eliminating the spread of the rear dots across my spectrum of vision.

Also can't stress enough how important that rail or trigger housing mounted flashlight is for threat verification at night. It has helped me several times at work to immediately see if a subject has anything in his hands and even determine that it's only a cellphone or car keys at times, keeping me from firing and being wrong. Thankful for that little light. Even the kid that tried the home invasion at my place, charging at me across the porch screaming as I exited my door, instantly lit him up and saw no weapons so went with verbal commands and a takedown, that light saved his life and saved me a lot of hassle, paperwork and probably a lawsuit from his family.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

I have a streamlight combo flash and laser on both the Glock and XD, I learned long ago not to depend on anything battery operated, I use them but try to keep my options open.
RLTW

Ranger Class 10-68

al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

cams wrote:Happy to help Brother. Admittedly I thought they were gimmicky when I first saw them online, but did a little research and figured WTF, if they suck I'll just send them back.

When the package came in (you've seen how they're already lined up in the packaging) I was just raising up the package and sighting them at people on the tv as a test before cutting it open, was surprised at the ease and quickness of centering the front post, so I took it a step further and put them on to go shoot.

Awkward at first, and not target sights that you'd put in a 2" circle, but after about 5 or 6 mags down range I was starting to naturally see it almost center itself on target. I beat it up a little, racking it several times on the loading table, a cinder block, my pants pocket, no issues at all with damage or mis-allignment after.

May not be for everybody but I like them, well built, bright tritium, and does its job very well.

As for the old eyes, I've noticed lately that at night/dark room, with tritium, I can no longer keep both eyes open, when I do I see not 3 dots, but 6 dots, all side by side. When I close my right eye it immediately returns to the expected 3 dot sight picture. It sucks but as long as we know the problems, we can adjust and adapt to it.
I have been fairly busy but now have had a chance to use the Snake Eyes out in backyard and I agree on all your comments. I needed something to get on target quickly, tight groups not needed. They are great for me. Thanks Cams.
RLTW

Ranger Class 10-68

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

That's great Al, happy to know they help. I really like mine as well.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

Return to “Weapons of War”