Kahr P380

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Kahr P380

Post by cams »

I'm looking for a little pocket gun (DAO) that can just be tossed in your pocket when wearing dress clothes and no jacket to cover an ITW (in the waistband) holster.

I had a Sig P938 (sold it) beautiful little gun (9mm) but it's meant to be carried in condition one like a 1911, external safety and not something I'd want in a pocket next to my junk. It was actually a fairly thick pistol also, and printed a lot in a front pants pocket. The ankle holster wasn't cutting it, if a shitbag came up with a knife or gun or whatever else there's no way I'd get an ankle holster working and respond before I was stabbed or shot first. Which is why I'm thinking just front pocket, if I see a perceived threat approaching my hand can already be on it in my pocket.

I've looked at and handled a Karh P380 recently, seems well built, trigger wasn't bad at all, full size adjustable sights, locks back on last round which a lot of mouse guns wont do. The size, weight, thickness or lack of (only 3/4" thick) and smaller than my cell phone all seems perfect for what I'm looking for.

As I'm doing my research though I've been reading some great and some terrible reviews on it. Really about 50/50.

Cons in my opinion are .380 firstly. It's not a daily carry for me though so I could deal with it, just a small insurance policy to go with dress clothes.

Ammo, .380 is hard to find and expensive as hell around here. What I've seen is $30.00 for a box of 25 on average. And Karh states that it takes several hundred rounds to break the pistol in, which sounds fucked up but I'm not a gunsmith.

Cost of pistol is around 500.00 +. and that's hard to pay for a pea shooter.

Have any of you owned or fired one of these that can add some known input? I find it hard to trust some reviews online because you have no idea who's writing it and what experience they actually have and the possibility that their bad reviews may be because they simply don't know how to properly use that tool?
Last edited by cams on February 9th, 2016, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Re: Karh P380

Post by IEDmagnet »

I love the Glock 42, .380. It's slim and small framed. I can carry it in my pocket and feel comfortable, and it shoots like any other Glock. I know that brand is hated by some, but I can drive a nail with every one I have shot and I have come to love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Thanks Brother, I'm familiar with it, a nice gun, but not the one I asked about. If that was the case I'd just go with the G43 but I'm looking for a specific tool for a specific task not just something smaller than usual.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

If you like Sigs, check out the P290RS if you're looking for a .380 in double action. I tried one at the range, nicely balanced and shoots well. I think its heavier than the Kahr.

I don't own any Sig Sauers but I've enjoyed shooting them and they seem really well built.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
rangerjd
Ranger

Re: Kahr P380

Post by rangerjd »

I'm not sure about the Kahr P380, but I do know about the S&W M&P 380 Bodyguard, it is about the same size. I've been carrying this for a while now and it's the best conceal carry pistol I've ever owned. I say that because there is no place that I go that I can't carry it, it is that small and that light weight. When I can, I carry my 9mm, but there are times and places that I simply cannot carry it, my Bodyguard goes with me everywhere, usually in my front right pocket, nobody knows. When I go for a walk with my wife, if I'm wearing a hoody, it goes in the front pocket, if not, it fits easily into a pair of short pockets. I've read about the penetration problems of 380 hollow points so what I do is I load my 6 round magazines with one hollow point, then one 95 gr flat tip, alternating every other one. I figure if for whatever reason the hollow points don't penetrate, the the 95 gr fmj flat tip will. I carry 3 mags at all times, 2 I carry in a leatherman knife case, they fit perfectly and nobody knows I have them. I have shot well over 1000 rounds through this Bodyguard 380 and have yet to have a problem. The more I shoot it, the better it performs. If the Kahr P380 is the same size as the Bodyguard 380, you will have no problems concealing it.
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

I have a Kahr Thompson - I needed to do non-trivial work on the trigger to get it to reset properly. Won't bore you with the details but let's just say I was...irritated.

In my research on the problem, I came across a LOT of complaints in regard to Kahr. Keep in mind I primarily shoot a 1911 in competition, and in related forums the Kimber-fags usually have something to say about anything that didn't cost a kidney. That's nothing compared to the Kahr slamming I saw. Normally I take complaints on the interwebs with a grain of salt, but in the volume I saw around Kahr I can't completely dismiss it.

I know this isn't specific to the gun you are looking at, but perhaps something to consider.

As far as the break in, even the Kimber Solo has that same round count for break in, and it seems ALL of the pocket guns are finicky as hell on ammo.

Have you done any recon on ammo prices in Nude Hamster? Also check out http://ammoseek.com/ammo/380-auto for some decent internet prices (if that is even an option).
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

I can find 380 ammo for a decent price at Walmart, it's not the good stuff, but it's fine for plinking. I don't know if you have a Bass Pro Shop near you, but they have some decent 95 gr target ammo for about $20.00 for a box of 50, on sale right now. I just went shooting with my son and son-in-law at The Marksman in Puyallup, and I let them both try my Bodyguard. They are both going to buy one now, because they liked the way it shot and they really liked how easy it is to conceal. I bought the one without the laser, because I figure if I ever need it, it will be close in with no need for a laser.
Ranger Class 8-82
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Well after some long and boring, albeit interesting research, I scrapped the Kahr purchase. Like Ranger X said, just far too many negative reviews even at a 50/50 pace.

I went ahead and bought a G43 9mm for now. Needed something smaller than a 3lb .45 for certain events, and I know it'll be reliable.

I'm blacklisted of course, paid for it, did all the paperwork but then wasn't allowed to take it with me. Been waiting 3+ days now for the Feds to check me out and give me a thumbs up. Happens every time.

Also with it I picked up 2 mag/extensions. One is a +1 and the second is a +2.

A tungsten steel guide rod to replace the factory polymer one, 3x as heavy and should help with muzzle flip on the short barrel as well as provide more durability.

Purchased it without night sights for 358.00. Also have a Pyrimid trigger, 4.5lbs, on back order coming, and a set of some new night sights I found interesting and wanted to try from a company called Dead Ringer. Their 'SnakeEyes' sights have a rear ghost ring with two tritium dots and a fiber optic orange ring around that. Supposed to be very fast acquisition and strong enough to rack the slide one handed as you would (or can) with the much more expensive Trijicon RMR.
Front sight post included is also a big dot tritium. Reviews say they're excellent for those of us who's eyes aren't what they used to be.

https://deadringerhunting.com/tactical- ... nake-eyes/

Should be a nice little shooter. I'm excited to get it put together and see how it does.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

I've heard good things about the Glock 43. If it shoots and handles like a Glock, it should be good to go.
I went down a few months back and bought a Springfield XD-S 3.3 9mm, this has become my favorite conceal carry 9mm. It doesn't hold as many rounds as my SCCY CPX, but it shoots like a dream. It came with 1 7 round mag and 2 8 round mags. I went down and purchased 2 9 round mags for it, so when I carry it, I usually carry with the 7+1 locked and loaded and then carry the 2 nine rounders in a mag pouch. That's 26 rounds of 9 mm with a weapon that's less than 1" thick. The XD-S 9 will shoot the center out of a Silhouette at 50 ft, I'm amazed at how well this thing shoots. It's got fiber optics sights which make it real easy to acquire to target, and a really good trigger pull.
Ranger Class 8-82
Retired 95
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

I've heard nothing but good things about the XD's. May have to get one of those next if I'm not digging the Glock.

Picked it up yesterday after signing off my next two children to the Gov.

Some of the reviews I researched were not accurate about the 43. The guide rod is not polymer anymore but steel. Maybe has been changed with the Gen4 version. Regardless I slipped the tungsten steel guide rod in, and will keep the other in my bag as a spare.

I fucked up one of mags (came w/two 6 round) trying to put on the +2 baseplate. Glock mags are a MF to get the baseplate off. I'll see what I can do with some sandpaper to smooth out my plyer and hammer marks. Not kidding.

Mag still works but has to now be physically pulled from the magwell due to some tool marks hanging it up. Cleaned up the pistol and fired a box of 50 round nose and 50 hollow point through it after lunch today to make sure weapon and each mag worked ok. Zero malfunctions of any kind so far and pretty accurate with stock sites.

The trigger sucks, just the shape of it is uncomfortable and bites into your trigger finger. Maybe I'm just used to the smoothness and weight of the 1911. This pistol weighs next to nothing and the trigger is plastic with sharp edges.

Still waiting for the Pyrimid trigger kit to come in. Once that does will put it and the night sites on.

Also put on a rubber Talon grip wrap, definitely makes the small grip more secure in your hand.

Picked up a BlackHawk APX (Appendix) holster today for 20.00. Anyone use this? I've never had an AD/ND in my life, knock on wood, but the thought of carrying this appendix style and having that muzzle pointing right at my dick when I sit down is a little unsettling. Not sure I'll keep it by will try it out. Anyone else carry appendix and what are your thoughts on it?
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Dunno if you are still in the market for a pocket gun, brother, but you might want to consider the SIG 238. I know more than a few people that have them, and hear nothing but good things. It isn't as small or as compact as the Kahr or say Ruger LCP, but the action is identical to a 1911. With a short mag extension it is very comfortable. When I first saw it, I was able to do a side by side comparison with a few other .380 cap-guns. I had that, a SIG P232 ,a PPK, and Ruger LCP. In the end, the closest thing was the PPK, but for control, feel etc. the 238 was in a class by itself.

Like I said, not quite as tiny, but I know a few chaps that use it as a pocket gun. Daddy definitely wants to get one for himself..
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

1911 triggers will ruin plasti-guns for you. 8)

I dropped a Powder River Precision match trigger in to my XDm 5.25 and the difference was staggering (but still not 1911ish). Not sure if the Pyramid trigger will get you the same results, but I have to imagine anything is an improvement over factory.

My current "carry" gun is one of these - http://www.guns.com/review/2012/03/05/s ... 45-review/

It's a chunk, and parts are getting hard to find, especially magazines. It is way more accurate than it should be for its size, and the recoil is on par with a full size 1911, again surprising. But because of the parts issue, I will likely be looking at some kind of XDm/XDs in 45 soon.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Sleepy Doc wrote:Dunno if you are still in the market for a pocket gun, brother, but you might want to consider the SIG 238. I know more than a few people that have them, and hear nothing but good things. It isn't as small or as compact as the Kahr or say Ruger LCP, but the action is identical to a 1911. With a short mag extension it is very comfortable. When I first saw it, I was able to do a side by side comparison with a few other .380 cap-guns. I had that, a SIG P232 ,a PPK, and Ruger LCP. In the end, the closest thing was the PPK, but for control, feel etc. the 238 was in a class by itself.

Like I said, not quite as tiny, but I know a few chaps that use it as a pocket gun. Daddy definitely wants to get one for himself..
Thanks Doc, I've seen it/handled it, and also owned the 938, very well built weapons. The reason I was looking into the Kahr was because after handling it, testing the trigger, DAO, full size sights AND being able to slip it easily in and out of the back pocket of a pair of jeans, or front pocket of dress pants, it was perfect for that. Exactly what I needed. No holster. No waistband. Pocket only.

The Sigs twins 238/938 are single action only locked and cocked with an external safety lever. I'd never carry a pistol in my pocket with the hammer cocked and only a safety lever that could easily be switched off without me even knowing it. That's just begging for trouble. Seen the pocket type holsters and all that, just not what I was looking for.

After reading JD's post about his Smith BG (which I had just assumed was garbage, never even looked at them but have had several bad experiences with other SW junk) I started looking into them. Seems that the majority of folks love their BG's, reliable, DAO, and small and thin enough to slip into a pocket.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

RangerX wrote:1911 triggers will ruin plasti-guns for you. 8)

I dropped a Powder River Precision match trigger in to my XDm 5.25 and the difference was staggering (but still not 1911ish). Not sure if the Pyramid trigger will get you the same results, but I have to imagine anything is an improvement over factory.

My current "carry" gun is one of these - http://www.guns.com/review/2012/03/05/s ... 45-review/

It's a chunk, and parts are getting hard to find, especially magazines. It is way more accurate than it should be for its size, and the recoil is on par with a full size 1911, again surprising. But because of the parts issue, I will likely be looking at some kind of XDm/XDs in 45 soon.
I'm digging the G43 so far. Except, for the trigger. Wtf were they thinking when they designed that thing. Still waiting for mine, back ordered right now.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

The Sigs twins 238/938 are single action only locked and cocked with an external safety lever. I'd never carry a pistol in my pocket with the hammer cocked and only a safety lever that could easily be switched off without me even knowing it. That's just begging for trouble..
Permission to re-direct, your honor..

I really dig the 238, but I'm with you about carrying it condition one in a pocket. I'm leaning heavily toward the Walther, but would have to spend an extra $250 or so have a Lefty safety installed. (found a gunsmith online that comes highly recommended, and does a sano job that looks factory) I say that because the action of the safety is identical to a Beretta, & that is what I'm used to used to/most comfortable with.

I have a few Glocks & really like them (when I do carry, I use an inside the waistband holster & my G36..) I'll have to check out the 43..
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi

Return to “Weapons of War”