Need some AR insight

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
Grifter
Ranger

Need some AR insight

Post by Grifter »

I have a friend from work that bought a POF DI AR complete from a local Marine sniper turned cop..Purchase occured sometime last year. I have not fired this weapon and have not seen this malfuction. I have only seen the after product.

Either way this POF rifle has been a POS...

Anyone have an idea why halfway thru the first mag a round would shed its primer after firing, which would then tumble its way back and jam up the carrier mid cycle? After the operator clears the malfunction it will fire again and then repeat the same malfunction until cleaned again. Ussually 12-15rds apart for the first mal..then every couple after that.

This has happened enough times that my bud has started collecting the primers that have been "pulled"...so far hes holding on to atleast six. This problem has happened more times then that.

Per him..Twice the actual casing sans primer has failed to extract. Which is how the rifle currently rests..He finally got tired of it this past WE and as soon as it happened ..packaged up the rifle and reached out to POF (again). POF again played the pass him around game, both times told him they would call back and have failed to do that... Hes has called them twice that I personally know of. probably a couple more. So frustrated after this WE that he took it to a not so local smith and they didnt even look at it and told him call the manufacturer..suck..

I assume that because he is second owner they wont be to ready to back thier product but the hell what do I know.? My first AR. Which I assembled myself works fine for less then half the retail price of the POS I mean POF..heheheh

Still would like to help him out and cant fathom why its yanking primers...

oh yea thought it might be the ammo so he tried a couple different manufacturer's. It yanked primers in all of them. Hence the 3 of the 6 primers hes holding now..

Any thoughts..

I am considering loaning him my bolt and letting him fire it to see if its bolt related or chamber/barrel issue..but I am leary as hell of my stuff getting Fubared.. hence the question here..

Side note...I would wander over to AR15.com but they dont recognize my email addy. WTF? Something about confirmation or such..what does a man gotta do pay for a email addy to be a member over there?

thanks...
Grifter
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
Black to Tan Change-over Ranger
MI Glenn English Base of USARA
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: Need some AR insight

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Maybe the head space is out of spec. :idea:

Drop want2race a pm if you can't figure it out.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

Flesh Thorn wrote:Maybe the head space is out of spec. :idea:

Thats what I was thinking ( I mean trying to act smart by knowing the term) but I lack the actual fundamentals of knowledge required to actually pinpoint and ID that as a porblem. much less how to fix it..Educate me..if you want..

Hope to hell that makes sense..it did to me..but that aint saying much...

RLTW...
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
RMP-RLTW
Ranger

Need some AR insight

Post by RMP-RLTW »

Hornday makes a simple headspace gauge but by the time you buy it , calipers etc. It may be easier and cheaper to send it back to the manufacturer.
B co.3/75 99-02
OEF Vet
Mala Malis Facimus
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Something else I was thinking about, does the barrel actually have 5.56mm stamped on it ? If it is a .223 SAAMI spec barrel ( .223 commerical) and trying to shoot 5.56 NATO ammo then that could result in high chamber pressure and explain the primers getting blown out. There are some .223 SAAMI barrel out there. Sounds like excessive chamber pressure and if it isn't the ammo then it probably is the head space. Is there any way you can inspect the intact primers on the fire brass for signs of excessive chamber pressure. A quick google should tell you what to look for.

Edited to add: Found this thread at ar15.com clicky
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

Flesh thorn..

thanks..It is stamped 5.56 Nato...I have been reading a couple threads over there myself. Thanks for the link..will read it in a few moments.. my reading is discussing over pressure issues blowing out primers..but that seams to vary by ammo manu...according to the authors...

Thanks,
RLTW,

edit..you link is the same thread I am reading..thru. slowly...hehehehehe
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

I don't believe that POF AR uses a chrome lined barrel which can cause some issues if not cleaned properly (which is obviously harder to do). But in general, it does sound like a chamber pressure issue, potentially the 5.5.6 vs .223 mentioned above.

It can also be a sticky or over-sized chamber.

Overall, POF's seem to get get the love or hate response. But in the end, it is a mix of Stag/Bushmaster/ Rock Creek manufactured parts which is not too shabby a combination. They also have pretty decent customer service and if called will most likely fully help you out.
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

ok oversight on my part..This is a 1st gen Piston driven AR. not sure why I was of the impression it was a DI..

yeah really wish POF would make contact with my buddy...a number of calls and the same old dance..going to try again early tomorrow to see we can actually get passed the secrectary...although supposedly she sounds HOT..
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

if she sounds hot, she's pushing 400.... its a law of nature
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

KW Driver wrote:if she sounds hot, she's pushing 400.... its a law of nature

yupper...but we all can dream..
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

*BUMP*

Just curious if the problem was ever fixed ?
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

Hey Flesh Thorn, sorry for the slow response.

Yes issue was fixed like 3 weeks ago. The weapon actually went back to POF last fall and was returned to my Friend. At this moment I cannot remember what they did. But they performed some type of mainatance and a test fire and shipped it back. It worked well for a bit and then reproduced the same problem. This time around he finally got in contact with one of the Marine Cops - Cop buddies - who is a also a Lic. armorer. He took it, shot it up at some range and determined that the Buffer spring that was in the rifle was from a M16A2 Stock. (which is longer, I guess?). He Trimmed something like 2 or 3 inches off the spring and as of now it has shot thru a 200rds without any hickups.

Go figure. seriously explain that one to me..I still do not understand it. This reminds me I would really like to take an armorer course. i really need to look into that.
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01

Return to “Weapons of War”