Combat Support Officers in Regiment

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
RMike
Embryo

Combat Support Officers in Regiment

Post by RMike »

Hello Rangers,

I've explored the forums and have found answers to most of my questions, yet a good portion of these answers are coming from around as far back as 2004 and I want to verify the information is still accurate all these years later.

Firstly, is it true that there are no Signal LT slots in Regiment, only signal officers who have had a Key Developmental assignment such as a Captain Signal officer for each Bn and a Regimental Signal officer who is a MAJ?

Are there any Military Intelligence LT slots in Regiment?

Does an officer need to be a promotable 1st LT to serve in the Regiment?

Essentially, are the slots available for Combat Support officers in branches such as MI and SC only staff positions for Captains with a key developmental tour under their belts, or are there slots for 1st LTs in these branches to serve in the Regiment?

Finally, would branching infantry be the best chance an officer has to serve as a 1st LT in the Regiment as opposed to the previously mentioned combat support branches?

Thank you all for your time and advice.
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Re: Combat Support Officers in Regiment

Post by centermass »

1st off,

Most officers are branched first, spend their time in conventional units, establish themselves as to the type of leader they are and then, submit their packets to the Ranger Regiment. With officers, it's a crap shoot with a whole lot of variance as to "Will I get it?" Factors to include, but not limited to, Year Group, Specialty, OER's, needs of the Regiment, letters of recommendation, etc etc. In the past, the only solidification in which one can "Pad" their resume, and have an edge was to start off as enlisted, with either an option 40, or apply and go later on (Like after completing the Ranger Course) to the Ranger Regiment while doing the same pathway I mentioned earlier, only as an enlisted person. Most O's I know of (Who spent time in the RR) did exactly that. Started life at one point as doing their time as an enlisted Ranger first, then, submitted their application for OCS, completing all the requirements to branch as an officer, and then, return to the Ranger Regiment after doing their initial time as an officer in a conventional unit. The other route was they left the service, after serving in the Ranger Regiment, did the 4 year pathway to a degree and then, applied for a commission afterwards. Do your time in a conventional unit, as an officer, building your resume, and then, apply to the Regiment. What you wind up branching as, is another crap shoot as well. Infantry for example, is one, if not, the most competitive category there is, as most everyone wants it and there's only so many slots to go around. In the end, what you ask for and what you get, is what it is.

Here's the current table of information that should answer more of your questions.

http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75th ... iting.html
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
RMike
Embryo

Post by RMike »

Ranger Centermass,

Thank you for your answer, it cleared up a good deal and the website you linked to has easily been the most valuable source I've previously come across.

The only question I have left is if the Regiment slots available for Combat Support officers in branches such as MI and SC are all staff positions for Captains, or are there slots for 1st LTs in these branches to serve in the Regiment?

The website states in the second to last FAQ that "In very rare and specific circumstances we will identify talented Support/Enabling branch Officers in their BOLC class for early sequencing into RASP 2. Less than 5 candidates per year are assessed in this manner and most are prior service, Ranger qualified 2LTs that demonstrated distinguishable service during their enlisted tenure." Would these be the only LT support branch slots available?

Of course, while this all pertains to long term aspirations, I remain focused on the 25m target of getting to OCS.

Thank you.
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

RMike wrote:The website states in the second to last FAQ that "In very rare and specific circumstances we will identify talented Support/Enabling branch Officers in their BOLC class for early sequencing into RASP 2. Less than 5 candidates per year are assessed in this manner and most are prior service, Ranger qualified 2LTs that demonstrated distinguishable service during their enlisted tenure." Would these be the only LT support branch slots available?
It's extremely rare that this even happens, but to answer your specific question, for the most part, Yes.

Even 1Lt's that get the nod and are assigned, most are senior, and either promotable or close to it.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
RMike
Embryo

Post by RMike »

Ok got it. So as far as LT slots for support branches, most are given to those prior service candidates and even the 1LT's that are selected are usually promotable.

Thanks you again Ranger Centermass.

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”