Ranger Packing List (1990's)

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
Tracker275
Ranger

Ranger Packing List (1990's)

Post by Tracker275 »

For those of you that were in Regiment in the 1990's...I think you will find this familiar.

This happens to be a copy of mine before a deployment where you can see I was marking off shit and getting ready for an inspection.

http://thefeedyard.com/Other/Ranger/Ran ... 1990s).pdf

All that fuck'n "guchie shit" that is out there now wasn't considered back then. So, while some want to be a "Geardo"....we didn't have that.
Attachments
20947_109437809071904_4558304_n.jpg
2/75th RGR RGT ('94-'99)
SOCKOR ('02-'03)
5/19th SFG(A) ('04-'05)
3/1st SFG(A) ('05-06) - IRQ
EOD/WIT6, 71st ORD GRP (EOD) ('09-'10) - IRQ
SOCSOUTH ('10-'14)
CEXC, CJTF Paladin ('12-13) [Contractor] - AFG
EAC-E, 3/3rd SFG(A) ('13) [Contractor] - AFG
JIEDDO ('14) [Contractor]
Working Cowboy - Dumas Feedyard, LLC, Dumas, TX
75th RRA, Lifetime Member # 2652
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Ranger Packing List (1990's)

Post by cams »

Lot of memories just looking at that list. Thanks for posting. Amazing that we survived with basic TA50 and minimal Company Issue as opposed to spending hundreds on high speed everything.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Tracker275
Ranger

Post by Tracker275 »

cams wrote:Lot of memories just looking at that list. Thanks for posting. Amazing that we survived with basic TA50 and minimal Company Issue as opposed to spending hundreds on high speed everything.
Well, look how many battles were fought by Rangers prior to 2001 with that very list. Puts a lot of credence in what was passed down from our Ranger Brethren from Vietnam. Was the same LCE (even the H-Harnes, which I couldn't get a hold of), ALICE pack, jungle boots, etc.

A lot of things will shift back to the very packing list that I posted when we get back into a jungle environment where you can't hump the jungle in full body armor or your brain will fry. As all of us know from having been in the jungles of Panama or Puerto Rico in more recent years, if you carry more than you need, you are fucked. And there is no vehicle that can traverse the jungle. As we lean more into Africa, the old school tricks of the trade will again return. Much like they did from Merrill's Marauders to Vietnam.

What is so awesome is Rangers always adapt and overcome, but NEVER forget their lineage and the tricks of the trade learned from our predecessors.
2/75th RGR RGT ('94-'99)
SOCKOR ('02-'03)
5/19th SFG(A) ('04-'05)
3/1st SFG(A) ('05-06) - IRQ
EOD/WIT6, 71st ORD GRP (EOD) ('09-'10) - IRQ
SOCSOUTH ('10-'14)
CEXC, CJTF Paladin ('12-13) [Contractor] - AFG
EAC-E, 3/3rd SFG(A) ('13) [Contractor] - AFG
JIEDDO ('14) [Contractor]
Working Cowboy - Dumas Feedyard, LLC, Dumas, TX
75th RRA, Lifetime Member # 2652
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Tracker275 wrote:
cams wrote:Lot of memories just looking at that list. Thanks for posting. Amazing that we survived with basic TA50 and minimal Company Issue as opposed to spending hundreds on high speed everything.
Well, look how many battles were fought by Rangers prior to 2001 with that very list. Puts a lot of credence in what was passed down from our Ranger Brethren from Vietnam. Was the same LCE (even the H-Harnes, which I couldn't get a hold of), ALICE pack, jungle boots, etc.

A lot of things will shift back to the very packing list that I posted when we get back into a jungle environment where you can't hump the jungle in full body armor or your brain will fry. As all of us know from having been in the jungles of Panama or Puerto Rico in more recent years, if you carry more than you need, you are fucked. And there is no vehicle that can traverse the jungle. As we lean more into Africa, the old school tricks of the trade will again return. Much like they did from Merrill's Marauders to Vietnam.

What is so awesome is Rangers always adapt and overcome, but NEVER forget their lineage and the tricks of the trade learned from our predecessors.
Wise words indeed.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

My packing list in the BDQs was simple - food, water, and ammo, not necessarily in that order, plus someone had to carry a radio and a spare battery. That was either me or an RTO.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

schibbs wrote:I made a few mod's on my own gear, being a pig gunner. SSG Gabriel and PFC Flow(both Nam vets) got me squared away on gear , little by little. The only thing I would have done different back then was to get ahold of some decent knee pads, and those camel backs would have come in handy!
I firmly believe Camelbacks are as important to the success of the modern American fighting man as the repeating breach loading rifle.
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

I'll admit, when I was figuring out load outs I pretty much just copied what was recorded in the LRRP books I'd read. I figured those guys learned the hard way, so why not try to emulate them?
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

We had "snivel gear" that we carried out on Operations, but on Missions we carried none....no poncho liner, no poncho, no ground cloth or anything else that made noise. When (not if) it rained you got wet, when the sun came out you were hot and wet and when it got dark you were cold and wet.....did I mention we were wet a lot? I wouldn't have wanted to go into the desert or really cold weather with what we carried. We usually had a stream or rice paddy or Monsoon we could use to replenish water. Besides, once you've drank 110°water out of a plastic canteen, you don't through that much anyway.

I used the FUCK scale to grade whether I needed something or not. The scale ranged from FUCKIN' AYE through FUCK IT I don't need it this time on to FUCK NO.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”