CSM Leon-Guerrero

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Re: CSM Leon-Guerrero

Post by cams »

rvnlrrp wrote:I hope that my comment about CSM Leon-Guerrero being "a fish out of water" was not taken as a hit, to the contrary he did more by 0800 than most people did all day and for him that job was a piece of cake. I guess my main point was that just to be around him and his replacement CSM Roberts was an experience in itself. It was just a hell of a waste of pure talent and experience to put a warrior in that job but I guess with all that he had seen and done, he desired a bit of piece and quiet. The garrison troops found themselve in the presence of a true warrior. When I met him I had already retired and was working as a civilian but for me it was a honor to be acknowledged by him when our paths crossed. Just wanted to set the record straight.
The point being made was that they are two different people. The one you met is not "our" CSM LG.

"Hubba Hubba Ranger Buddy." - CSM LG
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

"Hubba Hubba Ranger Buddy." - CSM LG

I remember Batt. PT, CSM LG on the PT stand after the cool down... "gather close Rangers.....feeeeeel the POWER!!!!! "

Love that guy!!!!
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Oto-Man wrote:"Hubba Hubba Ranger Buddy." - CSM LG

I remember Batt. PT, CSM LG on the PT stand after the cool down... "gather close Rangers.....feeeeeel the POWER!!!!! "

Love that guy!!!!
Yeah and shaking his hand only to have him yank it up to his forehead to feel your power :lol:

LG was without a doubt the Man. He and Bill Acebes were the epitome of what a Ranger CSM should be.
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

CSM LG pinned my Tab on. Very humbling, and honored.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
IvanTheTerrible
Inprocessing

Post by IvanTheTerrible »

Hell, even my wife (of 20 years and counting, who I "left Bn for") remembers CSM Leon-Guerrero fondly. He always said hi to her in the commissary, made her feel welcome and I can STILL hear him saying to me in the RDFAC, "HOWYADOINRANGERBUDDY!! Can I sit down here?" Talk about checking your ego at the door, huh? He musta had that mastered round the time I was still shitting my daipers. I hope he knows how we all feel about him. He had a big impact on a ton of Rangers.
Tallahassee, FL
Wpns/Rat Bastards, A Co 2/75
recdream
Inprocessing

Post by recdream »

I was in A Co, 1st PLT, 3rd squad, Bravo team and whenever he would make his left nut comments he would always look towards 1st PLT and somehow I got the "eye" of this legendary warrior who lead by example.

I admired the spirit of this man during formations when he would run at roadrunner speed to his post and snap a salute that had a 50mph blast attached. The CO's would almost bolt BUT they were Rangers and stood their ground (heh).

I remember treading lightly in his presence. Unfortunately, I was just a pull-toy RTO and got pulled into the presence of all the bosses many a time and lucky for me, coached in the ways of true leaders of men. (TY LG!)

I remember being asked to take some tests and some days/weeks/lifetimes later being summoned down to the 1SGT's office after being grilled by my team leader Conway, then grilled again by my squad leader SSG Smith , and once again by my PSG, SFC Palacios (Sgt P)(another super warrior from Guam) trying to find out what I did wrong. As a total newb I had no idea and after a few hundred pushups and an eternity in the front leaning rest position I was released to answer to my summons. I remember running down the stairs and thru the halls and actually knocked some LT down and rushed into the offices and reported in the style I had seem LG do every day (hoping for some redemption and mitigation of whatever transgression I had made). Just being summoned was already a stain on my character to my PLT. I swear, he almost smiled but I attributed it to his thoughts of what he was going to do to me...

Seems I had some good score on some tests for USMAPS and the CO wanted to offer me a slot at West Point! The hardest decision and internal war of my life promptly followed. USMAPS meant leaving the BN, not going to Ranger School, leaving my family, abandoning all WE had worked for. I was hoping for a slot to Ranger School but I was just a mere 05B radio operator, not a warrior class 11B. Becoming an officer, would mean a lot to many, but also a loss of many friends. Maybe going to Ranger school meant proving myself, and becoming a man. I couldn't go to Ranger school and then to USMAPS (eligibility or something).

I had my CO extolling the virtues of the officer corp and nothing but the stare and presence of my Top and experiences I had had to date in 2nd BN. I chose to pass on USMAPS. Top didn't say anything really. I was a deer in the headlights. My CO asked me a number of questions and how I could be so calm and collected and make such a snap decision on such an important decision. Calm and collected?? Are you kidding me? My heart was pounding and I thought I was gonna soil myself! I would have attacked a commie division alone and unarmed and been less afraid. My instincts told me these men, WARRIORS really, were the true leaders and they were here, right beside me every day. Why go to USMAPS and West Point to become a "leader" when the greatest leaders on planet earth were already here? Maybe I chose wrong but I did get a slot to Ranger school and I did make it thru. I learned a lot and forever and then some, I owe a debt of gratitude and respect to these men.

I served with legendary warriors like CSM LG, CSM Palacios, CSM Conway and that SGT, Alfred Greg Birch who also went on to become the Regimental CSM. These men are HEROES, each and every one. I went on to different things and applied what they taught me to every battle I face. I am honored just to have been in their presence.
Dan Harris
A/2/75, 1st Platoon, 3rd Squad 1980-1982 RTO aka "Bird" and/or "Dorz"
ma91c1an
Triple Canopy

Post by ma91c1an »

Bird!

What's UP!

Good to see you here!

Doc.

ETA:

Bro's, this is Bird. He is a GOOD MO FO. He was our PLT RTO. I spent many a cold, wet night in the PLT CP with him in South Ranier Training Area.

He is an old scroll Ranger. I am really happy to see him find his way here.
-------
Classes 12, 13, and 14-81.
Company A, 2d Battalion (Ranger), 1st Platoon, "Bad 'Muthers," 1980-1984;
SFQC 4-84.
Company B, 2d Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), ODA 151, 1984-1986.
recdream
Inprocessing

Post by recdream »

yo Doc!

U still alive? Woohoo! Howya doing buddy?

Ok, who carried more shit in their rucks? Docs or RTO's (back then guys we had field radios almost as big as leg rucksacks and batteries that were bricks ref PRC-77)

Of course Doc carried lotsa pogey bait an booboo pills and such to mommy all of us mere mortal beings traipsing thru the black forest of doom.

I still sleep better in rucksack crash position....

Thanks for remembering me doc...I don't owe u money do I???

I don't remember my class dates, just that I got recycled twice and someone had mercy after I finally wore down all the RI's...

We need to find some time to catch up
Dan Harris
A/2/75, 1st Platoon, 3rd Squad 1980-1982 RTO aka "Bird" and/or "Dorz"

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”