Rio Hato December 1989

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
marundel
USAF

Rio Hato December 1989

Post by marundel »

Greetings Rangers. I am not a Ranger, nor am I Army. I was the navigator on Chalk 10 for the C-130 assault on Rio Hato during Just Cause. I'm retired from service now, and trying to locate photos anyone might have taken from that operation. In addition, we had one Ranger wounded on our chalk, landed at Howard and ground medevac'd. I've always wondered if he lived, and what his name was. I've got a companion post in Introductions that is 2 years old, and I deeply regret not following up on that thread sooner. I'm now retired and a civil servant at Aberdeen Proving Ground, although I live in western PA (yes, it's a helluva commute.) I have an AKO email address (c.miller26@us.army.mil), but I also check the Yahoo address in my profile regularly now that I am somewhat settled down. Any assistance is appreciated.

Christopher T. C. Miller
USAF (ret)
"the Dancing Bear"
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Now there is twist. I pretty sure you will find someone on here that was on your chalk.

I was on chalk 12. It felt like the PDF was getting the windage and elevation down by the time I got over the DZ.

How about you tell the story from your point of view? that would be cool as hell.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
RangerJurena
Ranger/Moderator

Post by RangerJurena »

Better yet, tell 'em how the Studs from 1/75 got to fly C-141's with plenty of leg room. Obviously, you fly boys knew who the super stars were...
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89
http://www.75thrra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are you a member?

Post by rgrpuck »

RangerJurena wrote:Better yet, tell 'em how the Studs from 1/75 got to fly C-141's with plenty of leg room. Obviously, you fly boys knew who the super stars were...

:roll:

How many holes were in your 141 ?
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

ma91c1an
Triple Canopy

Post by ma91c1an »

Ever since I stood up as the last man on the right side of my bird going into Point Salines, and looked up onto the flight deck to see the pilot's hands shaking as he held the bird on course with tracers lofting past the windscreens, I have had nothing but respect for AF special ops pilots.

Welcome aboard.
-------
Classes 12, 13, and 14-81.
Company A, 2d Battalion (Ranger), 1st Platoon, "Bad 'Muthers," 1980-1984;
SFQC 4-84.
Company B, 2d Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), ODA 151, 1984-1986.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Scuba Wino wrote:
rgrpuck wrote:How about you tell the story from your point of view? that would be cool as hell.
I hope it doesn't take TWO years this time.
He talks about it on his blog.

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/5955/
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

From the time we noticed the ground fire to the time we made our escape, everyone was a little tense. We had packed some extra flack vests onboard, and the window nav and safety pilot were packing them into the kick windows and around the circuit breaker panels. It was funny watching window and safety fighting for standing room on top of the vests laying on the floor as we got closer to the field. The engineer and I were sitting on our steel pot helments, and SATCOM was bunched up in a ball on the lower bunk. Everyone was trying to look very small. Pete Blume was the AC, and you could hear his voice getting higher pitched and faster as we got closer to the zone. My head was buried in the scope with one hand on the antenna knob and one hand on the joystick. Everyone was hotmike, and the noise was terrible. The Rangers were singing in the back of the plane.

Fucking Classic!!!!

I bet it was the Ranger Creed as loud as possible.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

ma91c1an
Triple Canopy

Post by ma91c1an »

rgrpuck wrote:The Rangers were singing in the back of the plane.

Fucking Classic!!!!

I bet it was the Ranger Creed as loud as possible.
Fucking beautiful.

What an immortal moment.
-------
Classes 12, 13, and 14-81.
Company A, 2d Battalion (Ranger), 1st Platoon, "Bad 'Muthers," 1980-1984;
SFQC 4-84.
Company B, 2d Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), ODA 151, 1984-1986.
Pondwater
Ranger

Re: Rio Hato December 1989

Post by Pondwater »

marundel wrote:In addition, we had one Ranger wounded on our chalk, landed at Howard and ground medevac'd. I've always wondered if he lived, and what his name was.
Don't know which bird he was on but I know of one guy who was wounded by ground fire in the aircraft from 3d at Rio Hato he survived and returned to Bn within a month or so. I believe he was a SSG at the time.
C 3/75
88-90
Class 1-89
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

I think our own Chuck Cooley was on that bird he would tell a story about the guy in front of him getting hit.....
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

marundel
USAF

Post by marundel »

No crap - they were singing loud and strong. It was freakin' amazing to listen to... especially knowing what they were about to jump into. Thanks for pulling the quote for me.

I know the wounded Ranger wasn't the last one in the stick, 'cause there were a couple guys behind him who had to unhook to step over him. The bullet came through the left side of the plane, passed between the crew's parachutes, and dropped the Ranger like a sack of potatoes. When the LMs were closing up, they saw him trying to belly crawl to the door to get out. The wound was near his right scapula and the bullet had apparently lodged in his spine, making his legs useless.

...and I do believe it was 3/75 on our jump.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Pondwater wrote:
marundel wrote:In addition, we had one Ranger wounded on our chalk, landed at Howard and ground medevac'd. I've always wondered if he lived, and what his name was.
Don't know which bird he was on but I know of one guy who was wounded by ground fire in the aircraft from 3d at Rio Hato he survived and returned to Bn within a month or so. I believe he was a SSG at the time.
And he was a fucking piece of shit.

His name was Weiling(sp?). I think he was in Cooley's plt. He was unhooked and didn't make the jump. After our return to the states, 3rd plt DX'd his ass because he was petioning the Army for his mustard stain eventhough he didn't make the jump. My plt ended up with him.

As soon as he got there, he started fucking with me. He was another one who didn't like my 'trip'.

He was later RFS'd for an OPSEC voilation.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Ranger Luna wrote:
Pondwater wrote:
And he was a fucking piece of shit.

His name was Weiling(sp?). I think he was in Cooley's plt. He was unhooked and didn't make the jump. After our return to the states, 3rd plt DX'd his ass because he was petioning the Army for his mustard stain eventhough he didn't make the jump. My plt ended up with him.

As soon as he got there, he started fucking with me. He was another one who didn't like my 'trip'.

He was later RFS'd for an OPSEC voilation.
Where is Cooley anyway? He can verify what Im saying.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Richard Wehling is the name.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”