Rio Hato December 1989

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
RangerJurena
Ranger/Moderator

Post by RangerJurena »

Ranger Luna wrote:Richard Wehling is the name.
Not a debate to be had in public, but tell me again how he became a piece of shit? By getting shot in the plane?
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89
http://www.75thrra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are you a member?
Ranger

Post by Looon »

RangerJurena wrote:
Ranger Luna wrote:Richard Wehling is the name.
Not a debate to be had in public, but tell me again how he became a piece of shit? By getting shot in the plane?
It wasn't that he got shot. It's after he returned to duty, he decided to petition the Army for the mustard, eventhough he didn't make the jump. His plt DX'd his ass and we ended up with him. Upon his arrival to my plt, he proceeded to fuck with me (he wasn't my squad leader) about my 'trip' to Panama. He would do so out of earshot of anyone in my plt. He was an import that was way out of his element. He was later booted for OPSEC violations.

If you are not familiar with my 'trip':

viewtopic.php?t=3075&highlight=leave+fallen+comrad

viewtopic.php?t=3079&highlight=leave+fallen+comrad

I believe I reference my issues with him in my story. My CO had my back in regards to fucking with me and prevented my possible court martial.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
marundel
USAF

Post by marundel »

Jim wrote:
Scuba Wino wrote:
rgrpuck wrote:How about you tell the story from your point of view? that would be cool as hell.
I hope it doesn't take TWO years this time.
He talks about it on his blog.

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/5955/
Thanks for the cross-post. It's good to know folks are visiting my website.

The entire "aircrew view" story is at http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/5955/ ... ohato.html

I apologize in advance for the USAF jargon.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

ma91c1an wrote:
rgrpuck wrote:The Rangers were singing in the back of the plane.

Fucking Classic!!!!

I bet it was the Ranger Creed as loud as possible.
Fucking beautiful.

What an immortal moment.
I believe every bird was reciting the Creed upon approach. It's a beautiful thing.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
badrangerbad!
Ranger

Re: Rio Hato December 1989

Post by badrangerbad! »

I was with 2nd plt, A co 3/75 on the first bird over Rio Hato. My photos from the invasion are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rangerholton/sets/221491/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope those bring back some memories!

Chuck Holton
2plt A co 3/75
'87 - '91
Ranger class 3-89
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

badrangerbad! wrote:I was with 2nd plt, A co 3/75 on the first bird over Rio Hato. My photos from the invasion are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rangerholton/sets/221491/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope those bring back some memories!

Chuck Holton
Thanks Chuck, enjoyed your book. My first TL and later SL was your 2nd Platoon RTO for OJC.
I believe he's still pissed about not getting to jump.
How long were ya'll on Coiba?
badrangerbad!
Ranger

Post by badrangerbad! »

It wasn't, but it should have been. Oh, how I wish I had taken better notes back then...

Asking about Coiba, are you talking about during the invasion, or on my previous trips. (not sure what you're reading). I'm writing a book about the history of Isla Coiba, including our experiences there during the invasion. If any of you were on that mission, I'd like to pick your brain and get your memories of it. I've been back six times since, and the island is absolutely amazing. Last year we mounted an expedition and crossed through the center of the island from coast to coast. It was awesome.
2plt A co 3/75
'87 - '91
Ranger class 3-89
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

badrangerbad! wrote:It wasn't, but it should have been. Oh, how I wish I had taken better notes back then...

Asking about Coiba, are you talking about during the invasion, or on my previous trips. (not sure what you're reading). I'm writing a book about the history of Isla Coiba, including our experiences there during the invasion. If any of you were on that mission, I'd like to pick your brain and get your memories of it. I've been back six times since, and the island is absolutely amazing. Last year we mounted an expedition and crossed through the center of the island from coast to coast. It was awesome.
Was referring to "A More Elite Soldier", but the question on Coiba was regarding the invasion and pics you had posted from that.

Check your PM's.
badrangerbad!
Ranger

Post by badrangerbad! »

Oh, during the invasion I think we were on Coiba for two or three nights. I'll post one of my stories about that mission here if I can find it.
2plt A co 3/75
'87 - '91
Ranger class 3-89
CCampbell
Ranger

Post by CCampbell »

(I already replied to this in the, No Shit, There I was . . . forum, but what the hell, I'll reply here as well) I was on the Isla Coiba mission. My Platoon (1st) was the one that raided the Panamanian SF camp. I only remember one night on the island but it could be my Platoon left before yours. Also I was on bird 10 for the jump into Rio Hato. I was left door as well, not to far from the end of the stick. When we were seated for the flight down I was sitting inboard and about 3 Rangers forward of the wheel well. That was a pretty unfortunate area to be sitting in. A few hours into the flight when every Ranger on board was ready piss all over themselves the Airforce crew emptied out a 5 gallon plastic water jug for all of us to piss in. Well, the first Rangers to use it were sitting all the way forward on the right side of the aircraft. It was then passed down the right side of the aircraft to the rear and then it went to the left side and worked its way forward. Every Ranger that this container passed pissed in it. By the time it got to me the damn thing was full!! And it was HOT :evil: :evil: !! So hot the handle on it was bending when I grabbed it to take my turn. So I piss in it anyways and its sloshin and spilling out and everybody around me is lifting their feet and groaning about the hot spray coming out. When I'm done everyone else forward of me added to it. NASTY!! Whose idea was it to force hydrate all of us at Lawson before putting us on birds with no latrine? I hope the Airforce crew threw that container out of the aircraft over Panama after we jumped. I wonder if 5 gallons of steaming hot Ranger piss qualifies as a WMD? :lol: Anyways, I'll shut up now. I just wanted to share a bird 10 story that anyone on that bird would remember (I'm not sure if the same scene was played out on the other birds). Oh, and yes, it was the Ranger Creed we were reciting before the jump.
Jan 89 - Aug 90, A Co. 3/75 1st Platoon "Glory Boys"
Aug 90 - May 92, HHC 4th RTBn

Dec 89 - Jan 90 "Operation Just Cause"
The Surgeon
Ranger

Post by The Surgeon »

8)
Last edited by The Surgeon on August 8th, 2011, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bco 3/75
CCampbell
Ranger

Post by CCampbell »

Hey Lunch,

I don't know who it was you ran into from A Co. on the northern side of the airfield. Myself, I never made it north of the Pan-American highway. Even though I was a little more than two-thirds of the way back in my stick, I still landed on the damned taxiway :evil: south of the highway. My Platoons objective was on the southwest side of the airfield (where the enemy prisoners were kept after the fight). So after I plowed into the pavement I linked up with my Gunner and Ammo Bearer and we went west. On the western edge of the airfield we linked up with our PL and about 15 others from our Platoon. That was when a pickup truck drove in front of our position and we (my gunner and myself as AG) opened up on him. This was the same pickup that was driving on the airfield as we were jumping. They had a guy in the bed armed with an AK-47 shooting at everyone as they landed. These guys hit the canopy of a Seargent in my platoon before he could pop his canopy releases. They drug him a short distance down the airfield while the guy in the bed of the truck was shooting at him (Welcome to Panama Gringo!!). Well, they made it past us and then they were promtly hit with a LAW rocket (you might remember the wreckage). I think it was our 1SG that hit him. Anyways, from there we went and took our objective. I understand completely what you mean about those tense linkups. As my gun team was moving west across the airfield we would run into other Rangers moving out to their objectives. So like dumb asses we would call out "Bulldog" and then we would follow that up with "Glory Boys", which was the name of my Platoon. We would do that so anyone in our Platoon would recognize us immediately and we would linkup instead of just running by each other in the night. A couple of times we did this with no problem. Then we came across a few Rangers moving out and we called out, "Bulldog", and then we followed that up with, "Glory Boys". We were then greeted with a very tense, "WHAT???!!!". Our response was, "Bulldog! Bulldog! Bulldog! Bulldog! Bulldog!". Then the WHAT???!!! Ranger let us know he almost shot us. :shock: :shock: We didn't do that anymore. :oops: Stupid, stupid, stupid!
Jan 89 - Aug 90, A Co. 3/75 1st Platoon "Glory Boys"
Aug 90 - May 92, HHC 4th RTBn

Dec 89 - Jan 90 "Operation Just Cause"

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”