for the experts

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
BeerForMe

Re: for the experts

Post by BeerForMe »

spero wrote:i was wondering if some of you rangers can look at this and tell me if it looks like a decent workout to do til i leave

thx

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/brent2.htm
im not an expert here..but i did do a little bit of research on the internet at get this now http://www.goarmy.com and found this link that might help you out http://www.goarmy.com/job/branch/sorc/sf/specforc.htm
yes its about he special forces but if you will read where it says preparing for sfas and click that little link it will give you a workout to do
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Edit - I just realized... Why the hell did you put this in "About Ranger School"? This is more of a general question rather than one based directly on the fun of going to Ranger School.

Anything is a good start. Just remember, unless you've worked out consistently in some form before a consideration of joining the military, you need to start off somewhat slow like it has for everything there. That doesn't sound to me as if it would push anyone in half decent shape, but who knows.

I suggest some form of sprinting with the running as well, not just flat out distance running. You need to build strength with the endurance. Also, do burn outs with the sit-ups and push-ups. Don't just shoot for 15 6 times and call it good. Do that, then do as many as you can, once you eat floor because you cant hold yourself up, go to your knees and burn it some more. Try some elevated push-ups too. Do sit-ups and crunchs, leg lifts, flutter kicks, and look for other exercises as Im sure there are multiple forms of terminology for some of the others ones I could list. It will keep a normal workout a little bit more entertaining than just doing sit-ups... and then just doing push-ups. The pull-ups on there is about the only thing I wouldn't mess with. Starting out slow with that is the best, and work yourself up from there. That's if you haven't really done pull-ups before. But just as with push-ups and sit-ups you need to burn yourself out with those too. Get a friend to spot you while you do them, so when your arms shit out you can do more reps.

Really it's all about consistency. You can't just do this off and on and expect great results. It's an 7 day a week thing. And don't forget to hydrate. damn.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

I've done this plan and it actually works pretty damn good. Start off from week one, no matter what your shape is and go all the way to the end of the program. the one thing is, you have to be damn near religous about this program. The pull ups are super important. Go look up 'door pull up bars" or "door chin up bars" on the internet. Order yourself one of the door bars that requires no modification to your door frame. The runnig portion is good for people who don't ever run, but since I did 11:54 on my record PT test on tuesday (and have ran no slower than a 13:00 at any point in my seven year Army career), I have my own running workout that I do that would probably kill you if you tried it. But for general upper body strength and conditioning paln, on a short budget, this plan is really good. I've gone well past this program by now, but it's a good step in the right direction. Best of all, it centers on endurance. Endurance, I feel, is far more important to soldiering than just brute strength. Brute strength fefinitely has it's place, but the amount of times you will be required to move super-heavy objects over a very short time will happen far less often than more.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

No can do, trade secret :twisted:
Just stick with the run program that comes with workout. on saturday, when it says take a break, ruck with about 35 pounds for no more than one hour 30 minutes. There are tons of different schools of thought on rest and what not. good rule of thumb: run for six days, take day off or run ten days, take two days off. i usually do six and one. But it's whatever workds for you. Mix in sprints and calisthenic leg exercises.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”