Foreign Service (State Department)

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

keithlester
Embryo

Foreign Service (State Department)

Post by keithlester »

I am signed-up to take the Foreign Service Officer written examination (again) this year. I, like 95% of everyone who takes it, failed on the first try. It's free to take, and they don't care how many times you take it, so what the hell?.
Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has ever taken it or considered taking it. It is the first step in the hiring process for Foriegn Service officers, who staff our embassies and Consulates overseas, and it seems to me like a perfect carrer choice for vets (and being a federal job, they give preference to vets, after you pass the test).
The test is a little wierd. Kind of like being on Jeopardy!, only the questions relate mostly to political history, government knowledge, foreign history, etc. there is also an essay portion (where mst people, including me, get tripped-up).
Anyone who has not heard of this, I encourage you to look into it if it sounds like something you'd be interested in. And if anyone HAS taken it and passed, pass-on some pointers, hooah?
11B1P
3/47 Inf. (199th Bde), Ft Lewis '90-93
1/509 PIR (JRTC), Ft Polk '93-94
1/116 Inf. (29th ID, Light)
Airborne School @ B co. 1/507, 1990

Return to “Post Service Issues”