Loki's Intro

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Loki
Tadpole

Loki's Intro

Post by Loki »

Hey there,

My name is Nathan, I am a 26 year old college grad (3/05) with a beautiful wife and 2 kids (boy/girl). I'm currently scheduled to go to MEPS on 3/11 where I will do the whole thing and if qual. select my MOS, which I plan on being an option 40.

I'm here to read and get some real info to help me make the best and most informed decision. I'll try not to be a pain in the ass.
chkray
Ranger

Post by chkray »

Welcome, feel free to use the search button and research any subject concerning your potential future. Listen to what the DEP's have to advise, since most of them have been where you are.

Good luck in your pursuit.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

C co. 1/75, '78 - '81
Ranger Class 2-79
FRD, '81-'82
C co. 4/9 Inf. (Abn.) '82 - '84
HHC and C. co. 3/75, '84 - '87
4th RTB, '88 - '91
1SG in B co. 1/21 (Gimlets), 25th ID, '91 - '96
G3(Air) NCOIC, 25th ID '96 - '97
Honor Grad, School of Brightness, 6-96
Retired in '97
Loki
Tadpole

Post by Loki »

Thanks, my recruiter said he is greasing the skids for an option 40 (whatever that means), but my main hurdle right now is sec. clearance. I have about 9k in past due debts and collections (being poor as a student) and was told that would be an issue. Trying to find if there is a way to go ranger from within the 82nd, which is what they told me I could be guaranteed. I'm trying to see through the smoke, which is why I'm very thankful for this forum.
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Good intro and good luck. Just a note to all that care. I admire the shit out of those several men who come here about to graduate college and decide, Im going to be an enlisted Ranger. I admire it because you are generally talking about a man who can go to Corporate America, make a very good living and ignore any obligation of service. Further, he could, if he so desired pursue an Officer position. All in all, it's damned fine man that would forgo the soft life with good money and become a warrior. So to you and the others who choose this route, I recognize the sacrifice and admire it. Now that I said all this nice shit...
...............................Get er done!
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
chkray
Ranger

Post by chkray »

Loki wrote:Thanks, my recruiter said he is greasing the skids for an option 40 (whatever that means), but my main hurdle right now is sec. clearance. I have about 9k in past due debts and collections (being poor as a student) and was told that would be an issue. Trying to find if there is a way to go ranger from within the 82nd, which is what they told me I could be guaranteed. I'm trying to see through the smoke, which is why I'm very thankful for this forum.
Yes, you can go Ranger from within the 82nd, but I'm not sure how a recruiter could guarantee that. I'm sure that, as you progress in rank, the 82nd will want to esnd you to Ranger school, but getting into a Battalion is another matter. Whatever it is that he promises, you need to insure that it's in writing - because if it isn't, it doesn't exist. The debt think shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as you show that you're making a good faith effort in repaying.

Lastly, and to help you avoid taking a round in the head on this site - Ranger is a title, so it should be capitolized. And, if you're addressing one of the Rangers on the Board by name, remember to apply the title (i.e., Ranger Abell, etc.). That will save you a lot of grief here.

Good luck and Drive on.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

C co. 1/75, '78 - '81
Ranger Class 2-79
FRD, '81-'82
C co. 4/9 Inf. (Abn.) '82 - '84
HHC and C. co. 3/75, '84 - '87
4th RTB, '88 - '91
1SG in B co. 1/21 (Gimlets), 25th ID, '91 - '96
G3(Air) NCOIC, 25th ID '96 - '97
Honor Grad, School of Brightness, 6-96
Retired in '97
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Welcome Loki.
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Good luck to you man. Try to secure an option 40 BEFORE you leave. Make sure the wife is totally in for the long haul.

Good luck to you and welcome.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Everett Ruess
Ranger

Post by Everett Ruess »

Welcome. As rgrpuck said - be sure to get that option 40 before enlisting. I wouldn't even screw around with trying to get to BN from 82nd (or anywhere else). Get that option 40 and GO FOR IT!
HHC 1/75 '92
OIF 07-09
197th STC (SO)(A)-present

Sua Sponte!

Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent - that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman and loves only a warrior.
Friedrich Nietzsche
blueskiesalways
Ranger Mom

Post by blueskiesalways »

Abell9 wrote:Good intro and good luck. Just a note to all that care. I admire the shit out of those several men who come here about to graduate college and decide, Im going to be an enlisted Ranger. I admire it because you are generally talking about a man who can go to Corporate America, make a very good living and ignore any obligation of service. Further, he could, if he so desired pursue an Officer position. All in all, it's damned fine man that would forgo the soft life with good money and become a warrior. So to you and the others who choose this route, I recognize the sacrifice and admire it. Now that I said all this nice shit...
...............................Get er done!
Well said Ranger Abell9 !!!
Mom - One former 1/75 Ranger warrior......One current 3/75 Ranger warrior
Loki
Tadpole

Post by Loki »

Thanks for the warm welcome all, glad to see I haven't been flamed yet. :lol:

Let me restate something I said earlier. The recruiter couldn't guarantee me Ranger from within the 82nd, but could guarantee my Airborne, assigned to the 82nd at Ft. Bragg.

Regarding the credit, I'm sort of tossed on this. I am working on the clearance form and plan on disclosing everything (even pulled my credit report just to make sure). Do they do the sec. clearance for option 40 at Meps or is it a longer process. CPT Davis at USAREC said he could get me an option 40 if I wanted it, which I do, but I don't want to get my hopes up. That is why I was thinking of going 82nd. Although I'll be the first to admit, I could learn a lot more about how unit assignments work and what different units do.
VAK
USAF Veteran

Post by VAK »

Search button... Read... Search button... Read... Search button... Read... Search button... Read... Search button... Read...

(See a pattern to anything I've typed above?)

Welcome, but the fan's getting those flames ready...

tacp
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's
csforstall
Tadpole

welcome

Post by csforstall »

When you get your ship dates and MOS make sure you PM me so I can add you to the DEP roster.

Return to “Introduction Archive”