Ranger school without RIP???

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
soldiersdad
Ranger Dad

Ranger school without RIP???

Post by soldiersdad »

Hi Rangers. Have gone down all the search topics and can't seem to find the answer to this. So would appreciate your help. Is it possible to earn a Rangers Tab without going thru RIP?
Last edited by soldiersdad on March 2nd, 2005, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bell

Post by Bell »

I'm getting confused with the reports your son is sending you.

A tabbed soldier going through RIP?

Doubtful. Most soldiers that go through Ranger School from other units are NCO's. Therefore, if that tabbed soldier was trying to get into Battalion he would have been in ROP. Not RIP.

I'm not sure what to tell you here. I'm confused.

RLTW
Bell
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

My understanding is that ROP is for paygrades E-5 and above. Those below that rank, Ranger Tab or not, would still be required to pass RIP before being allowed to serve in the Ranger Regiment.
Bell

Post by Bell »

Spartan wrote:My understanding is that ROP is for paygrades E-5 and above. Those below that rank, Ranger Tab or not, would still be required to pass RIP before being allowed to serve in the Ranger Regiment.
I thought I just said that?

RLTW
Bell
fireranger
Ranger

Post by fireranger »

Weideman from 2/75 was a Panama vet who had gotten out as an E-5. When he came back to 2/75 in 94 he was an E-4 due to his separation in service. He got assigned to Bn, but was then sent to RIP, much the same way as Dublo was sent to ROP. He was in RIP at the same time I was in Pre-rgr. He was the class leader and seemed to have an easy time of it - there were not many Panama guys in the RTD at that time. From what I hear on the board about RIP now, I doubt it would be the same.
3 rd. Plt. C Co. 2/75 1993-1997, RS 10-94 (Navigators)

But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to fuckin' amuse you?
Mother_Benning
Ranger

Post by Mother_Benning »

Maybe an RTB Maurader that got his Tab through RTB, then tried to go to Battalion?
chkray
Ranger

Post by chkray »

When I reported to 1/75, back in the stone age, there was no real RIP. Oh, I had some classes on land nav., weapons, etc. given to me by some of the NCO's, but mostly I trained with my unit on a sink or swim basis. Trouble was, at that time the attrition rate among newbies at Bn. was unacceptably high - that was why RIP (and ROP) was formed - to weed out the weak ones before the Chain of Command wasted any time, effort, and resources on them.

As one of the founding cadre of 3/75, we put ourselves through a self-inflicted ROP program - Nothing formal, but each of us had to meet certain standards, before we were considered "Black Beret qualified." It wasn't until we (and Regt.) formed (in late '84) that a consolidated, standardized, one-stop RIP/ ROP program was put into place.

The other, non-Ranger units that I worked in during my career however (both Airborne and Regular Leg) had their unit run "Pre-Ranger" courses, where they sent their soldiers who had won a slot to Ranger School. When those soldiers passed that course, they were given a RS course date.

In short, yes, a soldier can get a slot to Ranger School (in their leg or regular Airborne unit) without going through RIP/ ROP - they cannot, however, qualify to serve in a Ranger Battalion (tabbed or not), unless they pass RIP/ ROP - which is why you'll sometimes hear people say that there is a difference between being Ranger qualified and Being a Ranger.

Sua Sponte
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

C co. 1/75, '78 - '81
Ranger Class 2-79
FRD, '81-'82
C co. 4/9 Inf. (Abn.) '82 - '84
HHC and C. co. 3/75, '84 - '87
4th RTB, '88 - '91
1SG in B co. 1/21 (Gimlets), 25th ID, '91 - '96
G3(Air) NCOIC, 25th ID '96 - '97
Honor Grad, School of Brightness, 6-96
Retired in '97
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

>>

Post by SkyShark »

Don't know if things have changed, since but, when I was in Korea there was a cook (E-4)in an FSB unit on Camp Hovey who somehow got a slot in Ranger School. He went to the school before he came to Korea. I was talking to him about because it was odd seeing a cook in an FSB unit Tabbed. However, he also stated that he was to ETS from Korea but was re-enlisting because he was promised a chance to go trough RIP and get to Regiment. That was his re-signing option. I Found out a few months later that Ranger School slots fr those not in Regiment were closed to all non-combat arms. Is that true and is it still the case taht only combat arms can get slots? As far as the cook, I know my 1sg whowas Tabbed used o tell him that he did it backwards because the cadre at Rip was going to tear him a new one for already being Tabbed. Not sure exactly how that would work though.
It's all good.
blknight92

Post by blknight92 »

Ranger puck exactly what do you mean by "Black Beret qualified " is that the same beret reg. soldiers wear or is there something behind that I'm not getting
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

blknight92 wrote:Ranger puck exactly what do you mean by "Black Beret qualified " is that the same beret reg. soldiers wear or is there something behind that I'm not getting
There was a time when only Rangers wore the Balck Beret.
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

blknight92 wrote:Ranger puck exactly what do you mean by "Black Beret qualified " is that the same beret reg. soldiers wear or is there something behind that I'm not getting
It should be refered to as "Beret qualified".

There was a time when the BLACK beret ment something.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

rgrpuck wrote:
It should be refered to as "Beret qualified".

There was a time when the BLACK beret ment something.
it was a sad day when that changed.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

This is a joke, right?
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Kilted Heathen wrote:
This is a joke, right?
No ....he has a cheast full of medals he doesnt joke. :lol:
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”