Were you Afraid?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Table of Elements Skater
Future Soldier

Were you Afraid?

Post by Table of Elements Skater »

I was wondering if any of you Rangers were afraid/scared at any point in training, especially of heights and if so, how was your 1st jump and The Slide For Life?
Last edited by Table of Elements Skater on February 21st, 2005, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vee
Ranger

Re: Were you Afraid?

Post by Vee »

Table of Elements Skater wrote:I was wondering if any of you Rangers were/are afraid of heights and if so, how was your 1st jump and The Slide For Life?

Or jumpmaster.....how'd you guys deal with that? :lol:
RSD 96-99
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Table of Elements Skater wrote:I was wondering if any of you Rangers were/are afraid of heights and if so, how was your 1st jump and The Slide For Life?
First Jump... nope!
Slide for life... nope E-ticket ride.
Don't forget the log walk rope drop! :D
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

I love heights.

I'm afraid of widths though......especially when applied to women's asses :shock:
RSD 96-99
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Table of Elements Skater wrote:I was wondering if any of you Rangers were afraid/scared at any point in training, especially of heights and if so, how was your 1st jump and The Slide For Life?
OK I could rag you out and tell you that Rangers don't feel fear, but that would be bull-shit.

You just gotta do your job! I was on the Eifel tower and my mother noticed I wouldn't look over the side and she said "What's wrong" I answered "We're 800 feet off the ground and without a parachute I aint pressing my luck!"
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Your first jump isnt bad because you don't know what to expect.

The second one is a different story :D :shock: .
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

I did all of my jumps and Slide For Life through correspondence...wasnt so bad.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Table of Elements Skater wrote:I was wondering if any of you Rangers were afraid/scared at any point in training, especially of heights and if so, how was your 1st jump and The Slide For Life?
When you make your first jump at airborne school you have control of what YOU do - you are going to fall - your parachute is going to open - if it doesn't you have been trained what to do next. When you go off the slide for life you have control of WHEN YOU LET GO.

When you work around rotary aircraft or other guys firing weapons or moving vehicles around quickly, you don't have control of what they are doing in close proximity to you.

That can be a little unnerving, but the main thing is to just focus on your training, trust that the others will do their jobs and just do yours.
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

I was nervous for every jump and every fast rope. But you have a mission to do and you are not going to let down your buddies. So you just do what you have to do. Heights make me nervous but I wasn't going to let them effect the mission or my job. You just did it. The other stuff you had to trust the pilot, buddies or whatever. You couldn't control everything, there was just too many things going on, I always figured if I was meant to die then there wasn't anything I could do about it anyway.

Ranger2
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Ranger2 wrote:You couldn't control everything, there was just too many things going on, I always figured if I was meant to die then there wasn't anything I could do about it anyway. Ranger2
There it is in a nutshell. "If it's your day then it's your day!"
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Nervous is probably a better word. There are too many things to worry about as a grunt:
live rounds
helicopter crashes
plane crashes
explosives
snake bite
shark bite
gator bite
spider bite
bears
bees
falls
heat stroke
the enemy
razor wire
infection
fat chicks
MREs

You have a mission to do. You get nervous, just like before the big football game. You psych yourself up. Then you do it. Ain't nuthin' but a thang. :wink: You'll do fine, if you decide to go that route.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

EarthPig wrote:Nervous is probably a better word. There are too many things to worry about as a grunt:
live rounds
helicopter crashes
plane crashes
explosives
snake bite
shark bite
gator bite
spider bite
bears
bees
falls
heat stroke
the enemy
razor wire
infection
fat chicks
MREs

You have a mission to do. You get nervous, just like before the big football game. You psych yourself up. Then you do it. Ain't nuthin' but a thang. :wink: You'll do fine, if you decide to go that route.

RLTW
EP

OhMY! :shock: :shock: Im glad someone didnt tell me that when I went in. I may not have done it. That fat chicks thingy scares me to death.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

If you're balls don't tingle...you aren't training.
Ranger IT you're absolutely right!
I'm not scared of heights as I used to be a Journeyman Ironworker before joining up.
First jump not bad.
Second jump scared the shit out of me!
Last edited by Kilted Heathen on February 21st, 2005, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Kilted Heathen wrote:If you're balls don't tingle...you aren't training.
I'm using that line tonight on my wife! "Faster, Honey,....they ain't tinglin' yet!" :lol:
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
swagger
Ranger

Post by swagger »

All that slack the cherries had in their static lines used to freak me out real goood! :shock:
1st BN: Bco 98-02, HHC 02-04
RS 5-99

If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it properly.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”