SFC hit_it, A question reguarding anti-depressants.

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Echo Zman
Embryo

SFC hit_it, A question reguarding anti-depressants.

Post by Echo Zman »

SFC hit_it

I was speaking with recruiters on goarmy.com tonight and asked a question about the 1 year requirement for being off anti-depressants and never got a straight answer. I would like your opinion. This could be a somewhat long post.

5 June 04 My bro was killed in a car wreck. A couple weeks later I went to the doc to see if he would prescribe me something for lack of sleep. He placed me on Paxil, later on Prozac, which both had to be taken daily. After I told him I didn't like the feelings or effects the meds had, he prescribed me Xanax on an as needed basis. One prescription, 18 pills total, probably 10 thrown away. I haven't returned since. No other anti-depressant history other than that. I started working out after the visit to the doc, and have had no real problems sleeping compared to before. Lack of sleep does have effects when married with a son, working full time, college full time, while paying morgatage, car payments, ect. and also of the age where I can't even legally buy alcohol (I'm 20.)

I've seen posts that say no waivers allowed to qualify for an option 40. The recruiters on goarmy.com said it is possible to still get an option 40.

My questions are: Is it possible for me to enlist within the next couple months? Are waivers accepted for option 40's?/ Do I need a waiver for my situation? What do I need to do? Who do I need to talk to?

Ryan

Anyone else with experience or knowledge about the situation who can respond will be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Echo Zman on December 15th, 2004, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Er...not to minimise your tragedy,that would depress anyone,but if you...
you may want to take some time and think this out.RIP is not therapy.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Echo Zman
Embryo

Post by Echo Zman »

Understood Ranger Kilted Heathen, but this decision was made way after my bro's death. I've always wanted to serve in the military and have always wanted to be in the best unit I could be. The death of my bro was a shock, but we all die. I was once told by a teacher, who is also serving in Iraq as we speak, that we start dying the moment we're born.

My wife supports me in this decision, and from what I've learned it will be tough for the both of us. But, if she can't do this for me, I feel she may not be the woman for me.

As for therapy, from what I've read and judging by your position I'm confident you would know, I dont intend for my service to be that. I caught a few snags, but nothing to put me away. I feel serving will help my family, my country, and myself.

As for the lack of sleep, I kept seeing my bro pinned between the passenger side window and the ditch of an upside down Acura Integra as i slept, with nothing but his pecks and above protruding out. He wrecked less than 1/4 of a mile from where we grew up and my dad's house. I've came to accept his fate. I still see it, not something I'm likely to forget.

Still not going to interfere with my service though. Sorry for the long post.
Echo Zman
Embryo

Post by Echo Zman »

Thanks csforstall, I did look at those posts, but nothing really supports my questions.
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Check this out bro, becoming a Ranger is at the very least probably the hardest most trying experience you'll ever encounter in life, at best one of the most fact finding experience a young man will ever endure should you make it. You'll find out very quickly if you're made of what I like to call..........The Right Stuff.

Anybody would be depressed after the death of a close family member, if you're still depressed I wouldn't recommend you attempting to join the service unless you're depressed because you lack a challenge.

My main point is if you have to ask for advise as to whether or not you should join the service you're probably not ready, if you're asking if you should mention you were on anti-depressants that's up to you. And if you asking if as a result of being depressed at some point in your life you can handle the path that's required to become a Ranger only you will be able to answer that question as well.

Becoming a Ranger isn't for the faint of heart, it isn't like you see on TV, its the real deal, down and dirty, hard as nails. If you got balls, never like to fail at anything and have the internal strenght to overcome any obstacle then I say go for it. If you're unsure but that's a goal you've always wanted to acomplish, question why you're unsure. Ask those who know you, not us who don't. Only you know deep inside if you're really ready for the ulimate challenge and path to true Manhood cause you sure as hell will know very quickly if you got what it takes.

Don't ask us if you can hang, ask yourself. 8)
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Ranger Bugsy has hit it on the nail.My response to your post was in no way a challenge to you.If you're depressed enough at the age of 20 to be on anti-depressants (and please,with with all due respect to your loss,let's not open the forum up to graphic explanations on why) then we have to wonder how you will face failure.
And I mean real failure.
Real... no shit there I was failure.
And why the fuck...is your wife being held to the "Standard".
You've got a lot to think about.
Frankly I doubt your marriage could take the stress.
Sorry for saying that, but there it is.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Echo, I'm sorry about your loss. IMHO you seem to have your shit straight.

My personal opinion, don't tell anyone about the ant-depressants, join the military and drive on.
Echo Zman
Embryo

Post by Echo Zman »

Ranger Bugsy: Thanks for replying. I'm not going to hang myself. Just curious as if I have to wait until next August to be able to enlist. That decision is made, I've never been more psyched about anything other than my son.

Ranger Kilted Heathen: I undertstand where you're comming from. Also, my wife totally supports my decision. As for our marriage failing, there is really no way to know other than to and I'm quoting 'just fucking do it'. In reguard to the anti-depressants I'm not on them, and was not taking them for more than a few weeks. In my opinion, shit doesn't really work.
I apologize for the graphic details, but also want to add if he'd been wearing a seatbelt and/or his windows were not down, he'd still be here today. Thats neither here nor there though.

Ranger BadMuther: I will say that has crossed my mind, I just want everything squared away so nothing comes and bites me on the ass later down the road. Thank you for your condolences.

Failure is not an option in any case. I'm just curious if I do disclose this, will I need a waiver and/or Do I need to wait a year?

Ryan
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

You wanna do this?

Quit the drugs and go for it.

That's not me bein an asshole. That's me speaking from experience.
RSD 96-99
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

BadMuther wrote:Echo, I'm sorry about your loss. IMHO you seem to have your shit straight.

My personal opinion, don't tell anyone about the ant-depressants, join the military and drive on.

I would follow Ranger BM's advice here. You never know when this question might come up in the civilian world. Say during the interview portion of a law enforcement interview or on a polygraph.

If you need the drugs, then I say better living through chemistry, however, some folks might see it as a crutch-especially since some of the anti-depressants have gotten so much bad attention lately.

BTW, I am sorry for your loss and I hope that you will be able to come to terms with the passing of your brother.

God Bless,
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Yer doctor should have prescribed Guinness.
I'll be blunt.
Never,ever mention the topic again.
If they can't find it in your piss cup then they don't need to fuckin' know.
Do not mention anti-deps to anyone.
Noone.Got it?
Now.
Just fuckin' do it. :wink:
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

Echo Zman
Embryo

Post by Echo Zman »

Roger that, Ranger Kilted Heathen. :D
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

I took interest in this topic because Vee stated it very well. Just quit the shit and move on. While I wont take a poll and ask though I do know it is true, MANY of my brothers have in past lives, done far worse than you and none of it legal. Personally, before I went into the Army the only thing I didnt do was sleep with a live boy or a dead girl. There was no substance I would not try. And one day, I stood up and said, Im done with this....and I was. Nothing more, nothing less.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Echo Zman
Embryo

Post by Echo Zman »

Ranger Vee: Been off the meds for months now. None of them really helped me sleep, and that Prozac shit made it even worse

Ranger Abell9: Thanks for responding. Glad to hear you got off the shit. I've never been a fan of drugs or meds for that matter.

But for the record, I AM off the meds. Got my head on tight, mouth closed, and eyes and ears open.

Thank you Soldier Angry Pistols. I've accepted his death. Miss him, but he's in a better place now.

Return to “Recruitment Process”